Author Topic: 2810 wind sensor water leak problem  (Read 25426 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2810 wind sensor water leak problem
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »
Could it be that the Costco unit, which has no "2810" designation on the box or the unit that I can find, is different from the 2810 unit purchased elsewhere?

I had to search the Internet to find out the Costco unit was a 2810 - or at least something similar to the 2810.

It went back to Costco last week after three months of use. Failed anemometer and double rain gauge readings. A Davis VP2, Envoy, and WeatherLink are on the way (at 10x the price of the 2810).

The Costco unit actually does have the 2810 model number indicated on the back lower corner bar code label. Also, the system's console/display has "LaCrosse WS2810U-IT" stamped on the back confirming it is a 2810.  :-)

It appears that if you're handy enough to perform 2 slight modifications for those mentioned shortcomings you can end up with a pretty nice PWS for costing next to nothing comparatively. 5 weeks running with 2 rain showers here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:17:03 PM by DanS »

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »
...good job Dan!

I think you and my brother-in-law are in the running for the 'Longest Running 2810'.  His has been going since Dec 20th.

Keep it going.... =D>

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
...good job Dan!

I think you and my brother-in-law are in the running for the 'Longest Running 2810'.  His has been going since Dec 20th.

Keep it going.... =D>

Lows in the 70s highs in the 80s and occasionally misty rain is not very hard on a weather station.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
Savannah, GA has been a bit colder than that. :shock:

...good job Dan!

Keep it going.... =D>

Lows in the 70s highs in the 80s and occasionally misty rain is not very hard on a weather station.   :roll:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
...good job Dan!

Keep it going.... =D>

Touche !

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Touche !

I'm jealous.  I wish it was 70 here!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »
  Update on my leaking WS2810 that I sent back on warranty. #-o I just got it back today! They sent me a brand new unit! \:D/
First thing I did was take the thing apart and SEALED IT!! =D> I really hope that that does the trick on this leaking issue. I let it charge all day in the sun, and when I checked the batteries, they were 1.54. Wish me luck!!
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »
  Update on my leaking WS2810 that I sent back on warranty. #-o I just got it back today! They sent me a brand new unit! \:D/
First thing I did was take the thing apart and SEALED IT!! =D> I really hope that that does the trick on this leaking issue. I let it charge all day in the sun, and when I checked the batteries, they were 1.54. Wish me luck!!

..Good deal.... =D>

Let us know how your rain gauge comes out.  Most are reporting double the actual amount.

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
Ok i will. Thats a bummer... is there a fix for that rain gauge issue? ](*,)
Nick

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »

...when I called about it on Feb 8th, was told to call back in 60 days.  It seems odd that if you returned your whole unit (?) that they would have checked the rain sensor also.  

...the fix thus far has been some of us modifying either the intake or adjusting the internal mechanism.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:36:12 PM by VaJim »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »

Duck Fan,

If you just got back a new replacement unit from La Crosse, they may have corrected the rain gauge measurement problem with the new replacement. I would check that before making any mods or mounting it in place.

When you sealed the anemometer, did you seal around the solar window also? I believe this is where most of the water is getting in.

Dan

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »
  I only sent in the hygro and wind sensors. Thats all they wanted because i didn't know there was an issue with the rain gauge. I just got everything hooked up and is working well. I have two other rain gauges set up in the same area and want to see how close all three are to each other for rainfall. I am hoping that my rain gauge is OK. Is everyone finding out that the rain gauge needs tweaked? or just some of them.
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
 I only sent in the hygro and wind sensors. Thats all they wanted because i didn't know there was an issue with the rain gauge. I just got everything hooked up and is working well. I have two other rain gauges set up in the same area and want to see how close all three are to each other for rainfall. I am hoping that my rain gauge is OK. Is everyone finding out that the rain gauge needs tweaked? or just some of them.

I haven't heard anybody with the Ws2810 say their rain gauge reads correctly the way it was bought. Only hearing near double measurement reports. You can slowly pour 130ml. of water through to tip the buckets to see if it reads about a 1/2 inch (or multiples, 260ml. for an inch, etc.). If yours is like mine was it will read near double that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:53:07 PM by DanS »

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
I will try that and let you know...
Nick

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
 I can not believe it. I did the rain test and it reads double. How on earth do you fix that. This is soooo frustrating.
Nick

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »
I can not believe it. I did the rain test and it reads double. How on earth do you fix that. This is soooo frustrating.

I say I can't believe it and then again I can.  I would have thought that they would have fixed the rain sensor problem while they had it in the shop (asking you to send it in also or send in the display), unless of course they don't have a fix for it yet.  I heard from another post that they are talking to the designer (German) about a fix.  Some of us feel it may be a firmware update to the display.

Dan can give you the details on his mod (he actually has some nice pics in one of the post here).  I'm still playing with modifying the intake using plastic lids and such. Getting close, not there yet.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:40:20 AM by VaJim »

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
Thanks VaJim. I did run across the mod that Dan did and that looks really good. I will go that route. I do not mind doing these modifications to this unit if it ends up being a decent unit in the end. I just want to record some weather, thats all. :roll:
Nick

Offline pschnell

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
Hello All,

I am sorry to post this. but for station ws2800, in France, LCT falls under the law of nonconforming product with respect to their technical datas product.

So My desire is not to make bad pub, but to move this station in a good precison (accuracy).

I hope the after-sales service of LCT is workthy of the product they wish to market

Best regards

Offline WKnight

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
After about 8 months of operation, I developed the water leak problem with the wind sensor.  Called LaCrosse tech support.  The rep I talked to asked a few questions and said they would send a replacement right away.  After about 5 days, it arrived in the mail.  Looks essentially like the other unit, but has some warning tape on the housing seam saying the warranty is voided if the tape is removed.  Maybe super waterproof tape.  :grin:  Anyway, I was very pleased with the LaCrosse response and help with the issue =D>, although their way of doing phone support is a little different.  You have to call in and talk to one person.  That person gets the problem info and you phone number and assigns a case number.  A tech is then suppose to call back within 24-48 hours.  In my case it was the next day, but I was out and missed the call, so I had to call back to the first number, then that person talked to the tech rep that was handling the case.  The tech was busy with other calls and had to call me back, which he did in about an hour.  Depending on circumstances this process could result in a big hassle.  Will install the unit today and see how it goes.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
 .... Looks essentially like the other unit, but has some warning tape on the housing seam saying the warranty is voided if the tape is removed. 

...just a guess....this is probably to discourage folks from opening up the sensor themselves.  When installing the new unit, make sure you press the reset button on the bottom.

anything