Author Topic: Help with L3 Spatial Consistency  (Read 2992 times)

Offline QC1991

Help with L3 Spatial Consistency
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »
Hi, I keeping getting L3 Spatial Consistency for Barometer  we have Davis vantage pro2 with weather link we had to  reinstall new OS the computer then  we starting getting the Red x here the link to the CWOP Information http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C3884

Thanks

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Help with L3 Spatial Consistency
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Welcome to forum.
You are next to a airport KCCR only 3 miles away just match their altimeter. Make sure you went through setup and put correct elevation in console 148'. Also match the airport on pressure. Being sea level no need to worry about altimeter vs MSLP and CWOP needing altimeter like many struggle with.

KCCR Airport pressure is here it updates hourly. Currently 30.11@16:53. If you set consol at 30.10 it should be close . You can tweak it later.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=KCCR&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL

Question you have data missing so you only report part time?
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
That's what I was thinking. Just reset it.
Looks like you have been on the low side of average for a while and it may have drifted enough to trigger that error.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
After looking at the SLP and altimeter on airport KCCR even with near se level elevation there is a difference slp/altimeter of .05 at times. Maybe you are best setting station pressure to 0' elevation and matching altimeter with the VP2 pro console. So change console to elevation at 0' & match airport altimeter, console will follow closely.

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
After looking at the SLP and altimeter on airport KCCR even with near se level elevation there is a difference slp/altimeter of .06 at times. Maybe you are best setting station pressure to 0' elevation and matching altimeter with the VP2 pro console. So change console to elevation at 0' & match airport altimeter, console will follow closely.
Thank you, beat me to the punch. Set elevation at zero. This is why I now have a Vue console.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
I just thought of something however. Doesn't WL automatically do the altimeter correction to CWOP now? Later version do I know. If it does wouldn't leaving elevation the same be okay. Just a thought... ;)
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:42:03 PM »
I just thought of something however. Doesn't WL automatically do the altimeter correction to CWOP now? Later version do I know. If it does wouldn't leaving elevation the same be okay. Just a thought... ;)
WL? I run 6.0.3, and that's as updated as it gets and corrects for nothing that I'm aware of.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
5.7 and on does correct to CWOP supposedly. But WU, console or if you have a website you don't get the correction everything is MSLP correction.You have experience with it Jim did it not work for you?

Here is what it says: WeatherLink versions 5.7 and later automatically convert Vantage Pro and Vantage Pro2
barometer data to altimeter. Monitor II data is reported as is. Vantage Pro barometers only
need the elevation to be set once to report properly. Monitor II barometers require a user offset
calibration to be entered whenever powered up. The following procedure is the CWOP
guidelines for checking barometric pressure tailored specifically for Davis weather stations. To
ensure you are reporting the correct value, the following procedure is highly recommended. For
Vantage Pro systems, you should get your CWOP/APRS upload working before beginning this
procedure.
1. Select a nearby (within 20 miles or 28 km) airport weather station to provide your reference
or calibrated pressure. Data online is available through the following website if you know
your airports 4-letter identifier (in the US, it is the 3-digit code with a K at the beginning:
e.g., Chicago O’Hare’s identifier is KORD): http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml .
Otherwise, you can go to your local National Weather Service website
http://www.weather.gov/ , click on the map for your location, and scroll down to Current
Conditions. The link to “Other Local Obs” will provide a list of other nearby weather reports.
Be sure to select an airport and not a CWOP station (indicated by call letters, rather than a
name).
2. Vantage Pro users should set their correct elevation in the setup procedure and configure
their WeatherLink APRS upload feature for frequent uploads. If not feasible at this time, set
the elevation to zero and use the on-screen displayed value.

The link: http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_30-reporting-weather-data-to-noaa.pdf
Randy

Offline QC1991

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the help we did unplug the Davis and took out the batteries we do not feed for 24 hours   

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the help we did unplug the Davis and took out the batteries we do not feed for 24 hours

Main thing is match the nearby airport altimeter. You can go both ways set elevation to 0' and match altimeter or try the actual elevation and see if WL properly sends data corrected for altimeter.
Either way should get you out of jail with QC. For me and others many also upload to WU and have websites so I rarely think of WL and CWOP only. Plus I like to be able to look at console and see altimeter instead of SLP.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:22:08 PM »

Batteries alone will last 6-8 months. Kind of overkill also. These are very low power use stations. Maybe someone can chime in if this is good to cycle console everyday like this. Will it lose its calibration after awhile?
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
The link: http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_30-reporting-weather-data-to-noaa.pdf
Wow, I've never seen this before. If WL did correct to CWOP, I was oblivious. All I know is that "in house" the Vue console tracks perfectly with the actual altimeter, whereas the VP2 console became less accurate at higher and lower pressures, with the error becoming greater on either end.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
Wow, I've never seen this before. If WL did correct to CWOP, I was oblivious. All I know is that "in house" the Vue console tracks perfectly with the actual altimeter, whereas the VP2 console became less accurate at higher and lower pressures, with the error becoming greater on either end.

The VP2 Firmware also has to support it, 1.90 and up AFAIR. The Vue console can be configured to output altimeter.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:27 AM »
C5250 what do you think about the fact they remove batteries and unplug daily for several hours. Won't the console lose calibration on barometer? This may be the issue all along, I'm thinking. As long as this happens it may always fail QC.
Doesn't the console have a non-volatile memory? The pressure should come back correct (or as last previously set) as soon as it's taken out of setup.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
Don't know exactly what happens, I really can't image unplugging and pulling batteries daily it may remember where it was but the down time pressure changes it won't track for sure.

This looks like a self induced problem that will continue if pulling batteries and unplugging continues.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:30:45 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
I give up on CWOP.  Have the L3 spatial consistancy problem, even though my barometer (altitude) are tracking almost perfectly with the three nearest airports.  I will no longer even look at CWOP Quality control.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline QC1991

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
I give up on CWOP.  Have the L3 spatial consistancy problem, even though my barometer (altitude) are tracking almost perfectly with the three nearest airports.  I will no longer even look at CWOP Quality control.

Mark
Join the crowd. ](*,)

anything