Author Topic: wmr200 console  (Read 4799 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
wmr200 console
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »
It looks like the 200 console uses the same sensors as the 100, if so does the 200 have the interference problem that the 100 console has? Need to get some new sensors and thought i get a 200 and be able to use some of the 100 sensors i have but do not want to have the reception problem the 100 has when plugged into a computer.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: wmr200 console
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
I have both 100 and 200 here and yes the protocol is the same for both. AS to computor interference never had an problem with either one. Computer is 3 feet away from console for 200 which replaced the 100 console.

John

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
I mean interference when usb is plugged into the console and causes interference that makes for poor reception.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Well I am hook up to mine and no problem. Computer cheap old gateway. Never have had an problem in 3 years.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Well that is what i figured and i have two of all the sensors and annys so i can upgrade so to speak by just getting the better console. Got a little mad money for xmas and decided to upgrade alittle bit.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
 Ok we are saving here for an rainwise to setup at  the cabin and then hope no one walks off with it when we are not there.

John

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
Jerryg, maybe you could do Gadget_Guy's antenna upgrade to your console and save a few bucks.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=9096.0

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
I have my 100 console set up with an external antenna and it works ok just would like to not have to have a cable hooked up to it. Its a shame the 100 has that problem, without the usb hooked up i can get reception everywhere on my property. It seems to me os should have had to make it right to the owners of the 100. Anyway i placed and order with Amazon for the whole unit. The cost was 45 dollars more than the console by itself but you get alot more sensors and such that cost alot more if you had to buy them. I figure i wont need any sensors for quite some time.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
Ah,  I see what you're saying. Is it possible that it's a grounding (or lack of) issue? I've seen where ground differences, or no ground, between the PC and console when they get connected to each other, can cause similar problems. The PC case is "floating" and when connected via USB or serial cable to the console brings problems?

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
I have both consoles  My experience was that prior to the antenna mod, the WMR 100 definitely experienced more reception problems.  Moving the console further away from the laptop I use made a difference.  The antenna mod made a bigger difference.  Now the only issue I have with the WMR100 is it ill occasionally stop transmitting data over the USB connection.  The only fix seems to be rebooting the WMR100. I do not have that problem with the WMR200. 

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
Opposite, I have both, the 200 is basically useless, it functions only as a datalogger during our stormy season, it's never connected to a PC - anymore. With both, plus sensors, I have the investment of a Davis, so much for "saving money".

Offline AlphaInfinity

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
I just purchased and setup the 200. It seems to be working fine so far.

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
I just purchased and setup the 200. It seems to be working fine so far.

With USB connected and near a PC?

Duke

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
I have had my 200 console in use for a few days now and it is working just great. I have it sitting on top of my wx computer and it has been receiving all sensors without any problems. My temp/hum sensor is about 100 feet away through 2 walls and my rain guage is about 75 feet through the two walls and my anny is up 33 feet through the attic and metal roof. Great reception. Makes me want to cry thinking about all the things i went through to get the 100 console working with my computer. I think OS should have made a swap out deal with 100 owners knowing that the problem was with their design. You can not beat the price of OS stuff but they sure screw you over after the sale. I think their motto is let the buyer beware, you bought it so do come crying to use about the flaws lol. It seems they fixed all the problems they had when they made the 200 console.  =D>  =D>  =D>

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
My problems with the 200 were spurious data readings, completely random. Even after I used the "limit" function I'd get wild spikes, dropouts etc. I'd also get creation of odd bin files and the day sum file would have multiple entries instead of a single end of day entry.

Finally after 2 months of desperation I plugged the 100 back in and the 200 operates standalone for data logging only - it's better than nothing during a storm. No problems since and that was a year ago. Yesterday I did a mod on the 200 antenna to keep it locked in on sensor reception.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
My primary station is a vp2 which is top of the line for most home stations and it works fine. I use the 200 for back up to the new vp2. My os tracks pretty close to the Davis with the exception being the humidity which os has a habit of getting to the high limit rather fast once the humidity gets above 90%. I have had no connection or data problems so far and i think these stations are like cars, same year same model one runs fine the other is a lemon. I think if you bought 2 new stations you would fine stranges things between the two lol. My main gripe was the 100 console without being hooked to a pc received all over the place and was dead when plugged into the pc. Having to do all the mods to the antenna really sucks when you know it was a design problem and they kept selling them knowing of the problem.  OS is famous for its i do not care about your problem attitude, you bought it live with it.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
I agree on the OS mentality, I'm one step removed being in MX, I can't even consider returning or even buying a new one (dumb as that would be) without having it shipped into TX and then bringing it down by mule.

I'm approaching the time of year when I decide to stay another or go somewhere else, if I stay I may look at a Davis, if I decide to pack it in I'll probably retire the weather station until I pop up somewhere else. We're currently looking at Spain or Costa Rica, possibly Panama, I was inclined toward Ecuador for a time until that little "uprising" they had recently. A friend wants me to buy an RV and live in that, I said "what about the weather station?" He said "mount it on top and get a new domain www.weatheroutsidemywindow.com or maybe www.40mphweather.com" - could be a possibility.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
He said "mount it on top and get a new domain www.weatheroutsidemywindow.com or maybe www.40mphweather.com" - could be a possibility.

weatheronwheels.com   =D>

I would have suggested mobileweather.com but people would think you were in Alabama. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA