Author Topic: Storm Tracks  (Read 16541 times)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
  • SNUGGLES: My Baby Girl
Storm Tracks
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
Good Morning.  I have a question about storm tracks in GR3.

If I click on the "Storm Tracks" option in the GR3 attributes box, I get white storm tracks that move from time to time to keep up with the storm.  This only makes sense.

However, I downloaded the URL from Allison House called "NWS Storm Cell Identification" into my place file manager.    That also gives me storm cell tracks, but they do not move.  They are stationary even as the storm cells are moving across the screen.

I was wondering why the NWS storm tracks do not move with the storm cells as the default tracks do included with the GR software.

Thanks.

Greg
Help Save An Innocent Life: WWW.ASPCA.COM
United States Air Force (Retired)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Storm Tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:10:30 PM »
Hi Greg,
   I noticed that too and I still like to use the Allison House tracks.  They are more visible to me.  I don't know why they don't move but I have never had an issue with that.  I just click the GRL3 tracks on and off as I need.  That way I can sometimes compare the two.  It actually makes them more useful than if they were exactly the same.
   Mark

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
I noticed that too. Not a big issue for me. What I do like about the Allison House tracks is the estimated time to arrival points that pop-up.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
What I liked about the SPC tracks are that they actually specified a location in path of the storm.  But they don't move.  Storms move..so should the tracks.  Oh well, glad to know its not just me.

Thanks for the replies.

Greg

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
Placefiles that move on looping radar (such as the AH storm track placefile) are currently not supported in GR products. The storm track option included with GR3 is native to the program, and thus it is able to be looped. Mike has said that moving placefiles will probably be supported in version 2.0 of the product, of which there is no timetable to release.  :-)
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Jake.

By the way, just purchased "full Screen."  Makes that radar look great.

Greg

Offline Tusker2Zero

• Skywarn Spotter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »
What's "Full Screen"? Where can I find this program?

I would love to display just the radar portion of GRLevel3 at times, if possible.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
http://www.fanix.com/index.html

Go to the above page and then scroll down until you get to Full Screen.  Free for thirty days, then only $24.99  for a one time purchase.

It gives any page you are looking at, or any program, such as GR3, full screen capability by using the ALT key and Left mouse button.

IT is customizable, so right click the icon on the bottom of your screen to set it up.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Offline Tusker2Zero

• Skywarn Spotter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 02:33:24 AM »
Bingo! Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

It made the radar portion of GRLevel3 full screen. Also, by moving the mouse pointer to the top or to the sides of the screen, you can temporarily show the toolbar, color table, or sidebar of GRLevel3. There's also an option to hide the status bar if you wish. really cool. I can't wait to try this with other apps.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
Glad I could help.  Its a nice feature to have.

Greg

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
Way too cool...I think I'll end up getting it sooner or later. How long have you had this software for.

Tim

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
I had it for the free month, left it expire, then actually bought it a few days ago.  I have a 22 inch monitor, and the GR3 radar looks really good at full screen.

Greg

Offline Tusker2Zero

• Skywarn Spotter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
Sorry for the late reply here. December was a busy month for me at work. It cut down on my surfing time somewhat.

Like Greg K, I used the free trial for a month on my laptop running Windows Vista. I love it, and I haven't had any issues with the program so far. I must admit though, running with Vista I was holding my breath, but alas, no problems thankfully. I went ahead and just purchased the full version.

Getting rid of GRLevel3 toolbars & sidebars make a HUGE difference when running GRLevel3 in four window pane mode on my laptop. I'm going to try to convince my brother to buy a copy for his computer and take a look at GRLevel3 on his 27 inch monitor. I'm drooling just thinking about that. lol

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »
Sorry for the late reply here. December was a busy month for me at work. It cut down on my surfing time somewhat.

Like Greg K, I used the free trial for a month on my laptop running Windows Vista. I love it, and I haven't had any issues with the program so far. I must admit though, running with Vista I was holding my breath, but alas, no problems thankfully. I went ahead and just purchased the full version.

Getting rid of GRLevel3 toolbars & sidebars make a HUGE difference when running GRLevel3 in four window pane mode on my laptop. I'm going to try to convince my brother to buy a copy for his computer and take a look at GRLevel3 on his 27 inch monitor. I'm drooling just thinking about that. lol

I've had no problems with free trials on Vista or XP. Sometime later this year I might install it on 7. I wonder if it exists for Mac, because that would save me here a little.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
I've had no problems with free trials on Vista or XP. Sometime later this year I might install it on 7. I wonder if it exists for Mac, because that would save me here a little.
GRLevelX products are not made for Macs. Some users have reported running them using parallels or Boot Camp, but it doesn't work in every case.
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
GRLevelX products are not made for Macs. Some users have reported running them using parallels or Boot Camp, but it doesn't work in every case.

Yeah I've figured that one out.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
I found this while surfing around thru radar sites.

I guess the radar sees something out there, which could variably be anything?

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Bingo! Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

It made the radar portion of GRLevel3 full screen. Also, by moving the mouse pointer to the top or to the sides of the screen, you can temporarily show the toolbar, color table, or sidebar of GRLevel3. There's also an option to hide the status bar if you wish. really cool. I can't wait to try this with other apps.

Where do you get the weather station plots?

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »
I found this while surfing around thru radar sites.

I guess the radar sees something out there, which could variably be anything?
Maybe it's tracking a UFO.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
Boy...looks like I'm about to make some friends :)

Here are 3 playgrounds for GRLevel3 (and GR2 if you have it).

http://grlevel3.tornadocentral.com/ (watch boxes, metars, mesoscale discos, convective outlooks)

http://www.grlevelxmods.com (tons and tons of stuff....all FREE)

http://www.grlevelxstuff.com (more stuff....color tables, placefiles, shapefiles, etc)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 12:49:11 AM »
Boy...looks like I'm about to make some friends :)

Here are 3 playgrounds for GRLevel3 (and GR2 if you have it).

http://grlevel3.tornadocentral.com/ (watch boxes, metars, mesoscale discos, convective outlooks)

http://www.grlevelxmods.com (tons and tons of stuff....all FREE)

http://www.grlevelxstuff.com (more stuff....color tables, placefiles, shapefiles, etc)

Friend +1 LOL

anything