Author Topic: I'm Baaaaack !  (Read 21229 times)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
  • SNUGGLES: My Baby Girl
I'm Baaaaack !
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »
Good Afternoon.  As I am learning the joys of GR 3, I have been looking for an answer for two days now.  I hate to post a topic here without doing my homework first.  I have found on the GR 3 support forums where others have posted programs to let you go all the way down to street level with GR 3. 

I just cannot figure this out. ](*,)   I've read the help info, I've searched the internet, I even recited the Rosary...but I cannot grasp this OR ANY OTHER add ons for GR3.

I don't want anyone doing my work for me....but any help or referrals to check out would be great.

Thanks

Greg.
Help Save An Innocent Life: WWW.ASPCA.COM
United States Air Force (Retired)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: I'm Baaaaack !
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
Wouldnt you just download a very detailed (aka huge) background map, and a good set of street place/shape files.

Due to system limitations, you could probably do this for your city, but then when touring the country you would be stuck with black....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
   At first I had a very hard time of trying to get street level on my GRL3.  You just have to find your state under the placefiles downloads.  Download the file for your state.  Extract the files.  Open the GIS menu.  Open load shapefile.  Under the "Shape" and "Style" browse for the files you extracted.  then hit import.  Most states files have several different areas so you don't have to load them all.
   I hope this helps.  I am not very good at writing instructions for these things.
There is a "Tutorial" on GRLevelstuff under tutorials that show how to do this also.
 Mark

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
Greg if I understand you correctly you want to zoom down to street level where you live. Very easy. You just have to DL the roads shapefile for your county.
 On the GR Level Stuff site they have a tutorial for DL shapefiles into the program.
Here it is.http://www.grlevelxstuff.com/index.php?categoryid=11&p2000_articleid=11
If this isn't want you were looking for in regards to zooming in then try to clarify what it is you want.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »
All of your help has been great.  Now I have TWO priorities:  1.  Eat  2.  Play with GR3.

Will let you know how it works.  I have trouble understanding place files and shape files.

Will try your suggestions shortly.

Thanks

Greg

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Well, I have not found any road data for Illinois.  Guess I don't know where to look.  I did successfully download a file which allows me to show cities around the area where I live.

When I go to "windows" and then "show placefiles", it shows the three files I have loaded.  There are two check boxes to the left of each one.  One is for a cursor I downloaded.  It does not matter if I check or uncheck the two boxes for the cursor...it always stays there.  The city placefiles seem to load properly.

Why are there two check boxes next to each place file?    And where can I go to download street level info.

Thanks again

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
  Go to www.GRLevelstuff.com. Click on Downloads.  Then click on Shapefiles.  Under that you will find "states".  There are 52 states available there.  I don't know why there are two check boxes for each.  That is an excellent question.
    Good luck
        Mark

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
I downloaded Illinois.  Then I extracted them all into the GR3 folder.  Then I went to GR3 to "GIS--Load shape file"  Then a box comes up to load either shape files or Style files.  I pick Shape files, and browse to the GR3 folder where I load the files.  The files all show up in the window, but the option to "IMPORT" never comes up.  The IMPORT function is greyed out.  The only option I have is to CLOSE.

So I am at a dead end with this.  But I will keep trying

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Greg,
The shape and style file loading is poorly setup within GR3.   But once you know how to do it, its ok.

Your download probably consisted of an *.shp and *.sty file.  You need to click load shape file, then click on the open shape file, then click the open style file.  You will probably need to navigate to that location where the shape file was in the style file box again.  Then once you have a file in both, hit IMPORT.    Not very intuitive indeed, but once you do that your downloaded files should appear in your GR3

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
Thanks again, but I am so frustrated I may have to close this all down and look at it tomorrow.  When I go to load shape file, I get a bunch of "fields" under the "SHAPE FILE" section...which is on the left side of the loader.  It shows numerous files.  But clicking on the IMPORT button does nothing.  I click IMPORT, but nothing happens. 

I think I need to take a breather when I start allowing software to piss me off. 

Thanks Andrew.  I will try again tommorrow.  I will probably review that tutorial again also.  The only shape file I ever got to work was a cursor...and now I can't get rid of the cursor as I don't care for it.

You have been great.  I appreciate it.  I need to look this over tommorrow after some sleep I think. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:35 AM »
As I said, its not intuitive.  Dont worry about the fields it lists, just make sure you have the correct shape file, and corresponding style file in your two boxes before you hit import.

Andrew

ps; you should be able to unload that cursor file... although I have never loaded or unloaded one of those.  I have however unloaded a redundant shape file.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:34 AM »
  Don't feel bad.  It took me at least 3 months before I figured it out.  Once you find it you sit there and go "oh-thats how it works".  You will get it.  It will hit you all at once. 

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
Well, its a new day..but same old problems.  I tried this all again.  Here is what I did.  Perhaps I am missing something.
1.  Downloaded the file "Illinois_Zip from GR Stuff and saved to desktop
2.  Unzipped files to a new folder on desktop which I named "Illinois Maps"
3.  After unzipping, had three types of files:  DBF, SHP, and SHX for each filename.  For example, one file after unzipping was IL_NORTHEAST. DBF/SHP/SHX
4.  Opened GR3
5.  Opened "GIS" and then "load shape file"
6.  Navigated to my desktop folder and selected "IL_NORTHEAST.SHP
7.  After selecting this file, I had numerous names loaded in the "fields" section.
8.  Import button was "greyed out"...could not import or select any files in the FIELDS block
9.  Then went to "WINDOWS" and selected "SHOW PLACEFILE MANAGER"
10.  Navigated again to desktop and selected IL_NORTHEAST.SHP
11.  This loaded into the place file manager, and there were two "check" boxes to left of the file.
12.  Clicked one box, clicked the second box, unclicked one, etc etc and got nothing.

That is what I am going thru.  Perhaps the entire file I downloaded is just bad.  I am at a loss.  Thanks.

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
Follow my instruction above. Ignore the "fields".  Make sure you have a *.shp file select on left, and *.sty file on right, then click import.

Andrew

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »
   I don't kbnow if this matters but when I unzipped my files I put them in the GRLevel3 folder.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
Andrew...I don't get a STY file.  The file I downloaded, ILLINOIS_ZIP, had NO Sty file in it.

Could this be a bad file I downloaded???

Thanks

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »
   I don't know if the file was bad or not.  I just downloaded an Illinois file and it installed on my GRL3 just right.  Keep trying.  Be patient!
   Mark
ADD:  The Sty file says Roadshapefile2006.sty
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:31:56 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
Mark..where did you get the file from?  I have no such file name ?

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
  I am not sure where it came from exactly because when I first downloaded the Illinois file and extracted all the files I did not see any "style" files.  I did the following:  First of all in my GRLevel3 folder I have a sub folder called GRLevel3:
1) Downloaded Illinois state file
2) extracted all files to my GRLevel3 folder
3) I opened the GIS menu
4) Clicked on LOAD shapefiles
5) browsed to the "shape" file I wanted (NW Illinois NE ect) eachg time I had to specificly the GRLevel3 sub folder
6) I then browsed for the "sty" folder going to my sub folder again.
7) I saw the Roadshapefile2006.sty and clicked on it.  Where it came from I really don't know.  I assume it was in the Illinois file. 
    I would delete the files you now have and start over.  Create a sub folder in your GRL3 folder.  Download the Illinois file again and extract to the GRLevel3 subfolder!!! 
    I hope this helps.  I know it is confusing and I am not good at explaining stuff like this :oops: :roll:.  Keep trying over and over.  It will come.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
You are very very good at explaining.  I downloaded it a second time and put it in my GR3 level subfolder.  I just don't have that STY file, which I am sure is the root of the problem.

I will start from scratch a bit later tonight.  THANKS AGAIN !!

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
  Sorry to hear it.  I know it is frustrating.  I won't go into the stuff I was doing.
I would suggest going on the GRLevelx forums if you don't have success soon.
Good luck

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 07:29:35 PM »
As per the "view comments" after the "more info" button on that download page. Not sure why no one fixed this, since it was uploaded in 2007

Andrew

"foailstormfan - May 13, 2007
you can't install it without a style file.....

NO style file seen

mbfischer - October 16, 2007
the style file is you the road sign.sty on another page on here!"

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
So the problem is that I cannot use this entire file as it has no STY file in it??  I assume that is what you are saying.

The funny thing is that cursor program I downloaded....it worked just fine but it is a .TXT file.  Now I cannot get rid of the cursor, which is shaped like a target with cross hairs.

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
Sorry cant help. Sounds like it messed up.  I tried finding what the orginal poster referred to. As Mark said you could try posting in the grlevex.com/owners forum.

Andrew

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
   I have been trying to find out where I got that roadshapefile2006.sty :shock: ](*,).
You might download another states file and see if it is in there.  Or ask the GRlevelx owners forum if there is another download that contains tha style file.
   Let us know what happens!!