Author Topic: Outflow boundaries on GRL3  (Read 21902 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Outflow boundaries on GRL3
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »
To see winds switch to SRV .5/1.5. Will also hone your TOR interpolation skills. BTW, remove smoothing since it hides important details.
     Thanks for the tip.  I will be doing that.  I used to switch back and forth but got tired of it.  I am going to start doing that again so I don't miss anything.  Thanks! =D> \:D/

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »
At this time there is a very good radar presentation of a out flow near Lubbock, TX
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »
What is the term for this void/shadow...?  Looks like someone parked their van in front of the radar....   :lol:  It was about 2 hours ago.

I assume its just a data issue, but it showed up in 3 frames, then disappeared..  Just happened to dissect a TOR warning area.

I just went on TDTW again, image looks very crappy. KDTX looks much more like what is going on.  Maybe they did not pay the HD fee...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

blackjack52

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
Maybe sidelobe blanking; if doppler is similarly affected like the phased array/aircraft radar-ANFPS-15/123-that I operated.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »

What is the term for this void/shadow...?  Looks like someone parked their van in front of the radar....   :lol:  It was about 2 hours ago.

I assume its just a data issue, but it showed up in 3 frames, then disappeared..  Just happened to dissect a TOR warning area.

I just went on TDTW again, image looks very crappy. KDTX looks much more like what is going on.  Maybe they did not pay the HD fee...

Andrew

That would have been about the time the sun was setting and was in the direction of the sunset at that time. I'd read about that somewhere... that radar can give false readings as the sun rises and sets, and the false readings have the shape seen on your image. I've seen it myself many times, and it usually shows up in 2 to 4 images (but not always).

Regarding the stations that start with "T" (as opposed to "K"): I don't know the details, but the T stations aren't as good as---nor do they have the range of---the K stations. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can elaborate on the differences. I avoid the T stations.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2009, 12:26:15 AM »
What is the term for this void/shadow...?  Looks like someone parked their van in front of the radar....   :lol: 

Close.  That was the window washer hanging off the side of the radome cleaning it.

The "T" radar stations are at airports - Terminal Doppler Weather Radar.  They just recently became available to the web.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »
   There is a beauty of a OFB on the Memphis, TN  TDWR.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:11:43 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »

There's a really nice outflow boundary visible on KAMA's station right now! You might have to look at some archived images.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Regarding the stations that start with "T" (as opposed to "K"): I don't know the details, but the T stations aren't as good as---nor do they have the range of---the K stations. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can elaborate on the differences. I avoid the T stations.

Here is a link to a wiki article on TDWR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TDWR

Long story short, it's best to use TDWR in conjunction with the NEXRAD images.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
  There is a beauty of a OFB on the Memphis, TN  TDWR.  

That is BEAUTIFUL!  :grin:
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
What is the term for this void/shadow...?  Looks like someone parked their van in front of the radar....   :lol:  It was about 2 hours ago.

I assume its just a data issue, but it showed up in 3 frames, then disappeared..  Just happened to dissect a TOR warning area.

I just went on TDTW again, image looks very crappy. KDTX looks much more like what is going on.  Maybe they did not pay the HD fee...

Andrew

This is a common sight with huge bands of precip..mainly snow and large rain bands at KABX..mainly because of the 10,678 foot Sandia Mountain ridge that extends about 5 miles from north to south. Usually sunlight produces this extended long "beam" which points the general direction that the sun is setting..and when it rises. Still..that void could be a number of things. Though for that radar, which is at about 300 feet in the air (est), I don't think a van would block the view. I'm going to go with the 5mm-the-size-of-a-raindrop radar block..especially at high precip levels.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:06:22 PM by Chris H. »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
What is the term for this void/shadow...?  Looks like someone parked their van in front of the radar....   :lol:  It was about 2 hours ago.

I assume its just a data issue, but it showed up in 3 frames, then disappeared..  Just happened to dissect a TOR warning area.

I just went on TDTW again, image looks very crappy. KDTX looks much more like what is going on.  Maybe they did not pay the HD fee...

Andrew

This is a common sight with huge bands of precip..mainly snow and large rain bands at KABX..mainly because of the 10,678 foot Sandia Mountain ridge that extends about 5 miles from north to south. Usually sunlight produces this extended long "beam" which points the general direction that the sun is setting..and when it rises. Still..that void could be a number of things. Though for that radar, which is at about 300 feet in the air (est), I don't think a van would block the view. I'm going to go with the 5mm-the-size-of-a-raindrop radar block..especially at high precip levels.

Oh ye of little faith. It's the sunset. You still don't believe me. ;)

Here you go... from NOAA:

Sun Interference. Twice a day, at sunrise and sunset, the radar experiences interference from the electromagnetic energy emitted by the sun.   There is a point at sunrise and sunset where the radar dish points directly at the sun and is hit with this energy.  This is then displayed as a spike of returned energy on our display.  It is brief, typically only occurring during one volume scan.  Notice in the image to the left that sunset is slightly south of due west.  The date is March 11, 2009.  In less than 2 weeks, we will be at the Spring Equinox.  The sun will set due west of the radar.

The angle of the interference in your image is to the NW, which corresponds with the sunset between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox. Also, your image shows a time of around 8:40PM, also corresponding to the time of sunset. The interference you're seeing occurs only when the sunset (or sunrise) angle corresponds with the tilt angle of the radar and the radar is pointing toward the sun. This is why it can occur only at those two times. Some days it doesn't occur at all (depending on the tilt angle and the direction in which the radar is pointing).

Here's the NOAA link:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/?n=using-radar

Take care!

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
It's not exactly an OFB, but I just thought I'd post these pictures of this nasty storm.

VERY explosive activity over NE'rn New Mexico. Really pretty. There's more in the panhandles of OK and TX as well..very well..it's only August, and this would've been the perfect day for a storm chasing if I didn't have school.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:39:09 PM by Chris H. »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »

Which radar site is that?

I'm currently watching a possible tornadic storm showing up on KPUX (Pueblo, CO).
Mae govannen!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »

I'm currently watching a possible tornadic storm showing up on KPUX (Pueblo, CO).

Cannon AFB, Clovis, New Mexico.

KFDX

And according to the NWS in Albuquerque, Storm Spotters indicated a wall cloud about 15 miles southwest of Clayton. How they can see that when it is pretty dark out there..besides lightning sillhouettes...is beyond me.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »

KFDX

And according to the NWS in Albuquerque, Storm Spotters indicated a wall cloud about 15 miles southwest of Clayton. How they can see that when it is pretty dark out there..besides lightning sillhouettes...is beyond me.

Okay. I'm looking at it out of KAMA.
Mae govannen!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »

KFDX

Okay. I'm looking at it out of KAMA.

So am I. Intense! Wow!!  :shock:

Here's my latest:

The VIL's are unbelievable though. Compared to surrounding storms.

And this is the eastern Colorado storm. This one packs even more punch!!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:10:04 PM by Chris H. »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 11:15:25 PM »

Look at the tornadic (possibly) storm out of the KPUX site (Pueblo, CO). It's barely moving and dumping a ton of rain... about 6 inches so far according to doppler estimates! I expect they'll drop the tornado warning soon. I don't see any rotation any more at all.
Mae govannen!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »

Look at the tornadic (possibly) storm out of the KPUX site (Pueblo, CO). It's barely moving and dumping a ton of rain... about 6 inches so far according to doppler estimates! I expect they'll drop the tornado warning soon. I don't see any rotation any more at all.

Well (update) the warning has expired. But there is a ETVS symbol on it (Pueblo). Lovely night for storms!  \:D/ :grin:

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
It also looks like there is/was an outflow boundary just north of Amarillo. I didn't get it in time though.

New storm approx. 30 miles northwest of Clayton, NM. Developed RAPIDLY over this area. Provided by KAMA, KFDX and KPUX

KFDX

KPUX

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:12:31 AM by Chris H. »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
Post 66, 4th image shows an artifact of the Save Image dialog box that was asked about on another thread.

If you want, I can post that on the GR Owners board and see if there's an explanation.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »
So that's the "ghost" that Downlinerz2 was talking about. nice catch.  Barely visible when glancing....

Andrew

Post 66, 4th image shows an artifact of the Save Image dialog box that was asked about on another thread.

If you want, I can post that on the GR Owners board and see if there's an explanation.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
I was watching KAMA and KPUX last night.  Pretty intense stuff around Pueblo ....

Andrew

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
So that's the "ghost" that Downlinerz2 was talking about. nice catch.  Barely visible when glancing....

Andrew

:shock: #-o I didn't even notice till I read your post. LOL \:D/

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »
I guess the "ghost" disappears if one doesn't include the Info in the save options. Weird.

anything