Author Topic: Fixing an old barometer  (Read 10148 times)

Offline upob

Fixing an old barometer
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »
I have a barometer from my father who got it from his father..mercury thermometer broke years ago..any chance of the thermometer being replaced...any links of individuals who may be able to fix this...I can post px if it helps

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Fixing an old barometer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
This guy might be able to help or steer you in the right direction.  http://www.charlesedwin.com/baromrepair.htm  Not sure about mercury and shipping but he should know. Sounds like something worth any effort to restore, good luck!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
I used to work on mercurial barometers in the Air Force.  Now they are rare and require special handling.  Yes, please post a picture.  Did the thermometer that is mounted on the side of the case break or did the glass tube that contains the mercury column break? 
Some states/counties don't want any mercury in the area.  You may have to get permission to possess any quantity of mercury.  Even shipment of items containing mercury may be regulated in your area.  Switches and relays with mercury wetted contacts are considered hazardous.  A mercury spill cleanup may cost tens of thousands of dollars.  If you spill mercury, you will be liable for the hazmat cleanup.
I have a restored Fisher Scientific mercurial barometer sans mercury.  Beautiful mahogany and brass.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:08 AM »
I never thought about that.  My county is about as "green" as it gets.  I wonder if I can any replacement mercury (just a few cc) for my carburator synchronizer?  The last person to borrow it knocked it over and spilled some*.  I should probably hurry before it is as illegal as DDT and trans-fats.

(*many years ago in their own garage... stay away EPA!)

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
Replace anything that contains mercury.  Most gov't environ agencies will trade you an electronic thermometer if you'll turn in a mercury thermometer.
http://www.epaosc.org/site/sitrep_profile.aspx?site_id=5672 A local incident 2 years ago.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
Replace anything that contains mercury.  Most gov't environ agencies will trade you an electronic thermometer if you'll turn in a mercury thermometer.
http://www.epaosc.org/site/sitrep_profile.aspx?site_id=5672 A local incident 2 years ago.

Will they take all of the fluorescent lamps in my house and replace them with something mercury-free?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
Gosh, I remember playing with liquid mercury when I was a kid.  Fun to play with it and magnets.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Replace anything that contains mercury.  Most gov't environ agencies will trade you an electronic thermometer if you'll turn in a mercury thermometer.

Will they take all of the fluorescent lamps in my house and replace them with something mercury-free?

Mercury in use is safe, you must dispose of it properly.  Mercury batteries are also hazardous waste.  Keep it out of landfills & streams.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:02:00 PM by wxtech »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
does that mean I have to get rid of my mercury recliner?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »
Our company, Chaney Instrument Co., had the distinction of having the "world's largest tube thermometer" about 40 years ago- it was on display in front of the old WI manufacturing facility in a downtown setting. That tube was huge and initially used mercury- LOT's of mercury. Was later replaced with a alcohol tube and eventually taken down altogether. The tube is still sitting in a crate in our warehouse somewhere, it's gotta be 40 feet long!

Offline upob

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »
Here is a picture..Would love to restore it to its original state..but it sounds like that is not allowed ?  Thoughts or suggestions now that you have a picture

Offline upob

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »
Note I did send an email to Chuck. That may be my best bet.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:52 PM »
Beautiful instrument! Would it be possible to measure the temperature graduations/scale and locate a department store thermometer with the same spacing, remove it from it's mount and relocate it to your barometer?

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
OK, sorry I mis read your post.  This is an aneroid barometer.  I thought you were talking about a mercurial barometer.  You should replace the glass thermometer with a non mercury thermometer.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »
does that mean I have to get rid of my mercury recliner?

Trade it in for the new concept car from (you guessed it) "MERCURY!"

Offline upob

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:16:48 AM »
wxtech,

I do not know who made it, but it says made in Western Germany.  It did have a mercurial thermometer at 1 time, but it broke.  I vividly remember this because my Dad was none too happy :)  I now feel his pain :)  I obviously do not know a lot about barometers, but now I understand the difference between an aneroid and mercury barometer thanks to Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometer

Thanks for this observation as I wrongly associated a barometer that had a mercury thermometer as the same as a mercury barometer.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:27:03 AM by upob »

Offline upob

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
DanS,

Brilliant idea...I will look around...It seems like that would be also a lot cheaper than a full restore which I'm not sure I can afford.  It would be great to have it functioning again.. I will keep you posted

anything