Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

Is my Atlas UV sensor defective?

(1/9) > >>

txbayou:
The UV reading on my Atlas is rarely above 1 during daylight hours. I’m trying to figure out if this is a defect, or a correct reading based on my Atlas getting at most 2-3 hours of direct sunlight in its current location, in mid October. The light intensity function seems to work, and shows a short period of peak light, which then drops over the afternoon. In the summertime, there would be direct sunlight on the sensor for a far longer time.

Other PWS readings in the area from Ambient PWS’s show high UV readings of 5-7 over several hours, which corresponds to the NWS forecasts of the UV highs for the area.

Do UV sensors need longer periods of sustained sunlight to give accurate readings, or is the one in my Atlas defective? How long does the UV sensor have to be in direct sunlight before it will go above 1 or 2?

Mirwin275:

--- Quote from: txbayou on October 10, 2018, 09:14:41 PM ---The UV reading on my Atlas is rarely above 1 during daylight hours. I’m trying to figure out if this is a defect, or a correct reading based on my Atlas getting at most 2-3 hours of direct sunlight in its current location, in mid October. The light intensity function seems to work, and shows a short period of peak light, which then drops over the afternoon. In the summertime, there would be direct sunlight on the sensor for a far longer time.

Other PWS readings in the area from Ambient PWS’s show high UV readings of 5-7 over several hours, which corresponds to the NWS forecasts of the UV highs for the area.

Do UV sensors need longer periods of sustained sunlight to give accurate readings, or is the one in my Atlas defective? How long does the UV sensor have to be in direct sunlight before it will go above 1 or 2?

--- End quote ---

I live in Pennsylvania and my uv has not gone above a reading of 3 since I installed the Atlas a couple weeks ago. I asked Acurite about this, since the closest station gets up to a 5 or 6 at times. Acurite told me my uv readings are in line with surrounding stations. I checked around myself on WU today and found several nearby Ambient stations that had uv readings with a high ranging from 3 to 9. Are they off or is my Atlas off? Today, the Ambient station up the street from me got up to 4 and I got up to 3. The first screenshot is the Ambient station up the street and the other two screenshots are my uv and light intensity for today. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

wase4711:
I had the same problem with my now returned Atlas; I never got uv readings over 3 in the Arizona sunny desert; my ws2000 that I replaced it with, has had readings up to 8 in the same location..

There are all sorts of issues with this first release of Atlas; just check these forums and the internet and you will see..

I'd return it, if its still returnable, and either try a replacement, or a different brand..

Mirwin275:
So, today is the first day my Atlas uv went passed a reading of 3. I hit a 4 today. MyAcurite only recorded a high of 3, but my display recorded a high of 4. So I suppose I hit 4 within the 5 minute update for MyAcurite and is why it is not showing a 4 as well on MyAcurite. This is why I wish the updates for MyAcurite were more frequent because it can be misleading and cause you to think something is inaccurate when it may not be.

daman:

--- Quote from: Mirwin275 on October 12, 2018, 04:16:59 PM ---So, today is the first day my Atlas uv went passed a reading of 3. I hit a 4 today. MyAcurite only recorded a high of 3, but my display recorded a high of 4. So I suppose I hit 4 within the 5 minute update for MyAcurite and is why it is not showing a 4 as well on MyAcurite. This is why I wish the updates for MyAcurite were more frequent because it can be misleading and cause you to think something is inaccurate when it may not be.

--- End quote ---
I agree 5 minutes is way to long weather can change many times in that time frame I don't like it, Heck the old system update was 15 minutes! that was ridicules  #-o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version