Author Topic: Wind Extension Kit for MK-III  (Read 2498 times)

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
Wind Extension Kit for MK-III
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »
Rainwise sells a Wind Extension Kit to elevate the anemometer on the MK-III weather station. Has anyone installed the kit?  I would like to learn more about it and the experience of anyone who has installed it.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: Wind Extension Kit for MK-III
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Yeah, it works well.  I installed it on a second monomount at the peak of the roof and the rest of the MkIII sensor array down on the eave for easier maintenance.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
This past week I moved my MKIII to a new location about 50 feet away from its original perch and installed a Wind Extension Kit to elevate the anemometer.

The main assembly is now mounted on a 4x4 post, and the anemometer is 24 feet above on an adjacent old telescoping TV antenna pole which I had taken down years earlier.  The first 10-foot section of the pole is fastened to a 4x4 which fits between two other posts set in the ground.  Two large bolts secure the mast between the posts.  When the lower bolt is removed, the upper bolt serves as a pivot for the mast to be tilted down should the anemometer or its attached cable need attention.  A leftover patio block serves as a counterweight when lowering the mast.  Flexible split tubing protects the anemometer cable from the elements and chewing critters.

My wife helped me remove the anemometer and its internal cable from the assembly and install a specially-designed cap in its place which holds the temperature sensor at the correct height. Then we connected the new cable coming from above.  I was relieved to see everything start working again after I turned the station back on after being offline for a little over an hour.  New to the hobby, I hope the new setup serves me well.  Bill

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
Very nice setup.  I used the wind extension kit to move my sensor array for easier maintenance while leaving the anemometer at the peak of the roof.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Thanks.  I was quite hesitant to go with the Wind Extension Kit, but your positive comments earlier were an encouragement.  RainWise doesn’t say much about the kit in its sales materials, but the instructions were sufficient.  Bill

WU Station ID - KMNHACKE9