Author Topic: Freezing wind vane  (Read 2463 times)

Offline bill075

Freezing wind vane
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
Hi , Glad to have found this forum.   :-)
I have had my Rainwise LR for several years now and having a problem with the wind vane freezing after a good rain and the temp dropping down in the teens and less than 15mph winds. It takes both components for this to happen. I have a extra wind vane but both do the same in like conditions. Any ideas for a fix or a remedy for this situation?

Thanks, Bill

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Freezing wind vane
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
Hi Bill

That certainly sounds strange.  I've been running Rainwise stations since 1999 or so and have never had one to freeze up.  Of course I'm here in SE Virginia and usually when we get moisture, temps begin to rise or if they fall the air drys out.  Not a lot of ice storms.

You may want to contact Rainwise.  I'm sure with them up in Bar Harbor Maine they should have come across the same conditions you describe.

Offline bill075

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Thanks VaJim
I'm here in central IN and have had this happen several times  :-(. Have talked with them about this and have not figured out a solution yet. Will give them a call again tomorrow.
-Bill

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Could you spray Silicone on the unit where the vane is attached to the mounting post? We have had a couple or three events here in eastern Ohio this winter that froze up my La Crosse wind units but not the RW or the Maximum outdoor units. Just an idea. Don't do it because if you mess it up I can't afford to buy you a new unit lol.

Don in Ohio

Jim in VA... did you get my e-mail to you?

Offline karona

• Razdel Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »
Install an outdoor rated low voltage spot light on the mast under the wind vane, shining upward. Mines a car fog lamp. Switch on in freezing weather and the heat from the bulb is enough to keep the ice/snow away.
Aercus Instruments WS3083
Weather Display 10.37R

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »

Jim in VA... did you get my e-mail to you?

Don:  Yes, I did.  I sent you back a response.  Let me know if you have any questions on the the items I described.

anything