Author Topic: Temperature Readings  (Read 3611 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Temperature Readings
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
Here is a brief question...

With the heat of summer just around the corner, literally, I noticed that many times since I have had my RainWise MK-III that the temperature readings may be a bit 'low' compared to other readings. I have the unit roof mounted. I actually thought when I put it up there I was going to be seeing temperature readings too high because of the heat off of the roof. Nope, just the opposite!

So, have any of you ever noticed, no matter where your stations are placed, that your temperature readings during the day seem too low? I have yet to reach 90 degrees here. Not complaining mind you!

Thanks for your observations.

Don in Ohio

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Temperature Readings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »
Hi Don

How 'low' are you seeing?   Over the years I noticed the same.  Usually it's a case of 1 - 1.5 degrees.  Keeping in mind that with the Rainwise displays you see whole numbers whereas some others do show tenths. i.e. 59.3, etc.

Unless you're seeing huge differences (3-5 degrees) I wouldn't worry about it and if that is the case a call to Rainwise will get you fixed.

I've also learned to use caution when comparing stations, even those in the same yard.  It'll drive you crazy.  What's to say that the others 'around the corner' are correct?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
If there is a tree or other structure proving shade during the afternoon, this could be an influence.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
Good Afternoon;

Thanks you for the comments thus far.

I think several contributing factors go into whether or not my readings are way off, a station error, or just location for a couple.

I'll attempt to attach a couple of photos of the station taken today. As I write this it is 77 degrees. The closest "METAR" station is Zanesville, or about 25 air miles west of me. It is 81 there with mainly clear skies. Mostly cloudy here. The Cambridge Municipal Airport has a reporting station which updates every few minutes and they are currently at 80 but their elevation is 799' ASL and I'm at 1090' ASL.

Anyhow I guess it is what it is, right?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
Don:  IMHO...25 miles is too far to compare.  Maybe take a look at Wunderground and see what your neighbors are reporting.  However, like I said, once you enter into station comparison, it can be like a rabbit chase.

IMHO (again)...the Rainwise does a much better job in protecting their temp/RH sensor.  Thus giving you a more accurate reading.

Too bad you don't have someone close to you that also has a Rainwise.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
Hi Jim... Agreed on all points. None of the information on Wunderground is close enough to make a comparison. However Weather Bug does have a couple stations within 5 miles from here. I'll check those.

On a personal note are you still planning to make it up this way in July?

Don

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
On a personal note are you still planning to make it up this way in July?

Don

Hi Don

Our schedule has us coming through Canton about the 3rd week of July on the way to Cleveland.