Author Topic: Best radar program?  (Read 6679 times)

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
    • http://www.wmiler.org/
Best radar program?
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
So I was thinking that hurricane season was about to start up again in 4 months or so, and I was wondering what the best, one time price, program currently is?

Basically I want to be able to display current watches/warnings, display current weather with track, and if possible, forecast track of active storms.

Offline msdawg911

Re: Best radar program?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:52 PM »
You can do this with the GRLevel3 with a subscription to Allisonhouse for $40 a month (basic data feed). Great service!
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:55:11 PM »
I'm not sure GRLevelx is exactly going to do it... not that I don't highly recommend it.

The basic GRLevel3 does display flood, thunderstorm, and tornado warnings.

The tracking of GRLevel3 is a standard NOAA white line with 15 minute ticks.

What I think you're wanting to do is threat tracking with esimated arrival times. This isn't built into GRLevel3 and will not be any time soon because of trademark reasons.

If you're wanting to track hurricanes with it... well the radar stations only go out so far and really only start to track once the hurricane is close to land.

All that aside, I recommend you download a copy and try it. The software is excellent.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:09:42 AM »
Last I checked, Allison House was $10/mo for the basic service.

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
I think what wmiler was talking about was hurricane forecast plots. You can do this with the "Storm Watcher" package, which just display the secondary data feeds - METAR's, SPC info, and other things. This package is without radar data.
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:56:23 PM »
Quote from: "WeatherHost"
Last I checked, Allison House was $10/mo for the basic service.

Last I asked, I didn't want to pay monthly for data :) Whether it's $40/mo or $10/mo...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »
Swiftweather, Storm Lab, Storm Predator, Nexrad3, GR3. They are all good programs but all offer something a little different. All have the option to get their data from the NOAA servers for free also.
Storm Lab is getting ready to release a new version which from what I'm hearing is supposed to be really good.
They all have free trials so you may want to go that route.
As for the software represented on this forum, I use Nexrad3 and most everyone else uses GR3.
Happy hunting  :D

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
I personally use Swift WX. Serves my needs just fine. And above all the radar feeds are free.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
So after much gnashing of teeth and what not, I've decided on GRLevel3. It seems to give the best of most software, and I can always use other software  when I need to.

anything