Author Topic: WeatherView Android App  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Welly

• WellingtonWeatherUK
WeatherView Android App
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:13:59 AM »
Hi all,

Sorry for the unashamed plug  and also if you've seen a similar post elsewhere :?

I've been developing an app for android devices, called WeatherView, to display your weather data and forecast.

Version 4 of WeatherView has just been uploaded to Google play and marks a significant shift in target audience.

WeatherView is aimed at Weather Station owners and the general public alike. It gives current weather and forecasts by auto detecting supported files. Currently supporting Weather Display and Cumulus.

WeatherView looks for a custom file on your web site called WeatherView.php (which is required to display your WXSIM forecast, if you have it).

For Weather Display sites it also looks for clientraw and clientrawextra files . For Cumulus sites it looks for CUTags or Realtime.txt.

If you have no WXSIM forecast then WeatherView will display a forecast from World Weather Online using your sites co-ordinates. If the co-ordinates are not available then the phones co-ordinates are used instead.

The World Weather Online data is updated automatically every 2 hours, or manually by selecting a menu item. Your site data can be uploaded every minute.

You can enter your web site in the custom address field to see your own private site.

You also can click “Add your site” in the Elite, ad free, version to add to the list of stations

or

email me with a link to your data files including your preferred site name and location and I'll add your site to the database.

If you have no web site, then WeatherView displays cut down weather data for your location got from World Weather Online.

From android market place:

"New Features in Version 4
•   Support for Weather Stations running Weather Display and Cumulus software.
•   Auto-detection of a supported data file.
•   Forecast from WXSIM or World Weather Online
•   “Add Your Site” to add to the station list (Elite version only)
•   Follow me roaming weather conditions from your phone location using World Weather Online, updating every 2 hours.
•   New extra-large widget (4 x4) with even more weather details.

The Elite version gives added support with feature requests and diagnostic aide from the developer (via email) as well as being ad free.

*Note: Updating weather data frequently will reduce battery life and will increase data usage. It is your responsibility to monitor your data allowances."

If anyone is interested in having their site listed there is a zip of 2 files (WeatherView.php and WeatherViewTags.txt) along with instructions on how to set up Weather Display. The custom files give slightly more information than the cllientraw files and merges the WXSIM forecast.

This forum seems a good place to post as, until recently the app only worked with Weather Display but now I would like it to be more generic.

If anyone uses other software and would like to assist in me creating the tag file for them then let me know.

Cheers

Welly (Rob)

(I've attached the files required for weather display/wxsim, but you don't really need them. Someone may want to alter WeatherViewTags.txt for other software packages such as VWS etc)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WeatherView Android App
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
Any plans to support Davis via downld02.txt or downld08.txt ?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Welly

• WellingtonWeatherUK
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Yes, I can certainly add it to the list but I'm not familiar with Weather link.

Does it support tags?

if not is there details of the 2 mentioned file formats. Just done a quick search and can't find much information on them.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
Tags?  As in XML?  No.  You can use HTML tags (via .htx file) to generate any type of output file you like and save it as CSV ot TXT, but the 02 and 08 are built-in file outputs from Weatherlink software.  Sample here:  http://dxc.wc2l.com/k1ttt/station/superstation_25/dvd_extras/k1ttt.net/wx/downld02.txt  (Not mine BTW).  Also, not that as you add sensors to a Davis system the file headers and data change to reflect the added sensors.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline gwpintree

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Is there a provision for entering a wunderground station ID?

Could there be one?

Thanks.

Offline Welly

• WellingtonWeatherUK
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »
I think Weather Underground do not allow mobile apps to use its data, which is why I have no provision for stations from wunderground.

That being said, although not tested, I don't see why the parser script from Ken at Saratoga Weather would not give a WU forecast as it passes the same variables from the php script as the WXSiM version.

Again this can't be supported.

Sorry

Welly

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
wunderground do a have an api you can use
but its not free for over a certain amount of downloads
Brian
info@weather-display.com