Author Topic: what becomes of WDL?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline ordnance1

what becomes of WDL?
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:09:35 AM »
what becomes of Weather Display Live when Flash comes to an end?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: what becomes of WDL?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »
This was discussed on another forum, basically it will be available until it works and once it is no longer supported, there are alternatives these days. Back when WDL was first introduced Flash was the only way of displaying content in such a way, today there are much more sophisticated, safer and simpler solutions that utilize Javascript, HTML5 and CSS and so you can use one of those, for example the Steelseries gauges (or I for example use other gauge scripts), but either way, the result is very similar and in fact you can even replicate the look and feel so that it looks just like WDL using these technologies.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: what becomes of WDL?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
Presumably there could in principle be a switch to the later/full version of FusionCharts, which would I'm guessing be a drop-in replacement for the Flash version and give essentially identical results in HTML5. The only but non-trivial issue is the cost involved. I imagine that Julian was able to come to some agreeable arrangement with InfoSoft when he originally wrote WDL, but I've no idea what the cost might be of updating this.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything