Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 2190 times)

Offline larrylwill

Davis Vantage Vue
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
Is there a problem with leaving the Light on the console 24/7? I assume the back light is led. I use it on a wall wart.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:00:02 PM »
It increases the indoor temperature, otherwise I don't know of any other reason not to. The longest I have left mine on is a few hours.

Offline larrylwill

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »
Its so much easier to see the screen when its on. We live on the bluff of a mountain and like to keep an eye on the wind which gets up to 70 mph at times.

thanks

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
Is there a problem with leaving the Light on the console 24/7? I assume the back light is led. I use it on a wall wart.

I have two VP2 consoles, and the backlights are on "forever".  As in "for many years". 

Of course, I have used the "calibration" to correct the indoor temperature reading.

(You can't have the backlight on continuously, without using the wall wart for power).

So, the answer is "no problem".

Offline larrylwill

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
thank you

Offline njc68

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
I too like to leave the LEDs on continuously so I had to move my thermistor to a different location inside the console (lower right corner) to avoid incorrect readings.  C'mon Davis, use an LED driver, PWM those LEDs like you are supposed to, and don't put the thermistor near the current limiting resistor!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »
IF your house is "well temperature controlled" (heated, air conditioned, good thermostat with close settings, etc.), then simply applying the appropriate inside temperature offset to the VP2 console will correct for the effect of having the backlight on all the time.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »
The WL data logger will also raise the indoor temp. :roll: I had to adjust mine down 2F to compensate.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »
As Dalecoy implies, a fixed offset will not work terribly well if the actual inside temperature varies over more than a fairly narrow range, since the actual offset shows some absolute temperature dependance. More seriously, the offset caused by the USB data logger seems to be very variable. It certainly depends on whether (= is only a problem when) the USB cable is connected to a 'live' computer, and seems also to depend, though much less critically, on the 'traffic' passing through the logger.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
As Dalecoy implies, a fixed offset will not work terribly well if the actual inside temperature varies over more than a fairly narrow range, since the actual offset shows some absolute temperature dependance. More seriously, the offset caused by the USB data logger seems to be very variable. It certainly depends on whether (= is only a problem when) the USB cable is connected to a 'live' computer, and seems also to depend, though much less critically, on the 'traffic' passing through the logger.
IIRC, when I first used WL IP it didn't raise the console temp., at least not that I noticed. However, when I switched to USB, that's when the console temp noticeably went up. Certainly seems to back your statement.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
There seems to be general agreement that significant indicated temperature increases are only seen with the USB logger. The serial version is also (reportedly) OK from this viewpoint.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
C'mon Davis, use an LED driver, PWM those LEDs like you are supposed to, and don't put the thermistor near the current limiting resistor!
More like C'mon Davis, use a separate temp sensor so it can be placed in a more ideal spot than where the console is located.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »
C'mon Davis, use an LED driver, PWM those LEDs like you are supposed to, and don't put the thermistor near the current limiting resistor!
More like C'mon Davis, use a separate temp sensor so it can be placed in a more ideal spot than where the console is located.

Sounds right to me hankster. Now if they'd take some of their customers ideas / suggestions to heart, maybe they'd have an even larger group of return customers.