Author Topic: EcoWitt HP3500 on its way.  (Read 1297 times)

Offline KTMsmurf

EcoWitt HP3500 on its way.
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:52:00 AM »
After browsing around for quite some time and come to my senses that a Davis vantage pro 2 was way to expensive here in EU I pulled the trigger on a EcoWitt HP3500 after a mail conversation to the much helpfull Lucy.
She was kind enough to point out that the display is only ~4" small. But as the main reason for me having this PWS is to UL data to WU the small screen is ok.

I have this chimney (for an old oilburner/heater) that isnt used anymore and its a few feet higher then than the roof. Thats the place I was thinking of attaching the metal rod for the HP. Not sure if its the best place with regards to easy access during winter but its the higherst place on our small property.

Glad I found this forum and read about Ecowitt. it seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. I know Davis is Davis... but one has to s tart somewhere :)
Today I have 6 different temperature gauges around the property connected via 433mHz to a telldus unit.

If anyone is interester I thought that this would be the thread I post pictures in later on once it arrives after testing at ecowitt. Had to order with 868mHz.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:57:24 AM by KTMsmurf »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: EcoWitt HP3500 on its way.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 06:32:06 PM »
It isn't just Winter when you'll need access. You should do quarterly or at least 6 month maintenance on the rain gauge. Not just debris cleaning but little insects and spider webs and heaven forbid you get bird droppings. You should check out Ecowitt's bird spikes I've got them on my unit.

You might want to consider sacrificing some win performance if you have open yard away from building to mount it from instead, that will ease maintenance and it will improve rain and temperature as some heat may radiate up that from that chimney even if not in use, just because it is a structure with mass that will radiate heat upwards. The perfect height for an all in one is anywhere between 10 and 16 feet (3 to 5 meters) with the magic spot being about 13 feet (4 meters) off the ground. Before you mount permanently you should test signal strength reception to the console.

Good luck with your new system.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:50:05 AM »
Indeed welcome to the fold and I am sure you will be delighted with your new station.
Mine arrived from Ecowitt Hong Kong in excellent condition having been well packed with no issues.

I would recommend the bird spikes as well. In addition given your location I would advise treating the station with Dry PTFE/Teflon spray which you can get from Amazon etc
The PTFE spray makes the plastic almost hydrophobic and helps with snowy conditions and also enhances the performance of the rain collector in very light rain conditions.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline KTMsmurf

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »
Indeed welcome to the fold and I am sure you will be delighted with your new station.
Mine arrived from Ecowitt Hong Kong in excellent condition having been well packed with no issues.

I would recommend the bird spikes as well. In addition given your location I would advise treating the station with Dry PTFE/Teflon spray which you can get from Amazon etc
The PTFE spray makes the plastic almost hydrophobic and helps with snowy conditions and also enhances the performance of the rain collector in very light rain conditions.

Thanks for the advice! I got it last week and managed to set it up and running this weekend.
I did the bird "spikes" and the PFTE/Silicone thing... slippery as h*ll I might add :D

Only thing I noticed is that the temperature is somewhat off on both the outdoor and inddor unit.
The indoor one is of by 3.9 degree celcius and the outdoor by 1.9deg Celcius. Not sure if it has to do with how the sun hits the outdoor unit or not.
But the indoor one is more of a bummer. I have it next to two other units for comparison.

Except from that the installation was a breeze and everything was easy to hook up. I guess that has to do with the testing that is done before they ship the unit out.
Easy to hook up to Wunderground as wel.

So far so good. :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
OT:  What is a "telldus unit"?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I got it last week and managed to set it up and running this weekend.
I did the bird "spikes" and the PFTE/Silicone thing... slippery as h*ll I might add :D

Only thing I noticed is that the temperature is somewhat off on both the outdoor and inddor unit.
The indoor one is of by 3.9 degree celcius and the outdoor by 1.9deg Celcius. Not sure if it has to do with how the sun hits the outdoor unit or not.
But the indoor one is more of a bummer. I have it next to two other units for comparison.

Except from that the installation was a breeze and everything was easy to hook up. I guess that has to do with the testing that is done before they ship the unit out.

Odd that you have such discrepancy. Have you dropped Lucy a note about it. She is very helpful!
You can set offsets on the console to allow for calibration but that is only if the discrepancy is linear and not a fault!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline KTMsmurf

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
OT:  What is a "telldus unit"?

Sorry... I think its a more common brand here in sweden. https://telldus.com/
It began as a way to turn on/off things.. now it has evolved to z-wave aswell. I use it for my lights and 6 temperature gauges. I use the Tellstick NET and it works on 433MHz.

Offline KTMsmurf

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »

Odd that you have such discrepancy. Have you dropped Lucy a note about it. She is very helpful!
You can set offsets on the console to allow for calibration but that is only if the discrepancy is linear and not a fault!

I will do that. I did put it outside and had the same issue there.. its off by 2-3 deg c all the time.
The mainunit seems to be ok and are showing an average similar to my other temp gauges So I am happy with that.

I will drop Lucy an email. And yes.. she seems really helpfull!