Author Topic: I need help setting up serial adapter on new HP desktop pc.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
I need help setting up serial adapter on new HP desktop pc.
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
Hello everyone!   I had to finally break down yesterday and purchase a new desktop computer to replace the 13 year old Dell I have been using for my weather station. I currently have a Weather Monitor 2 with the serial adapter for Weather Link. However I have been unable to get my new pc to recognize it when I go to set up the communication port in WL.  I installed WL from the original disk and then I updated it to 6.0.3.  I know that Windows 10 is a very crappy OS when it comes to using older software and hardware among other things.  So what do I need to do to get it to work????

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Re: I need help setting up serial adapter on new HP desktop pc.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
XP was what I was using on my Dell and it was almost flawless, but now it started having issues with WL and screwing up with my data logging.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
I would check with Davis and see what they suggest, the WM2 has been out of production for years but they may have some drivers to try.
Randy

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
You are probably better using a USB to Serial adapter (as opposed to a on board serial port) for which the drivers can be sourced. Davis have a specific Win8 USB/serial adapter as the older version would only work up to Win7, not sure if the Win8 adapter suits Win10 thou

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
Good news! I downloaded a driver from Silicon Labs and now its working. I forgot to mention that I am using a usb to serial adapter.  I want to ask another question however. On my old Dell computer, I was using VWS to upload to Wunderground and APRS. However when I install it on my new pc, a message popped up saying its not compatible.  Does anyone know of a work around on this??

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:29:34 PM »
Windoz10 is 64bit...as I recall.

W10 will work 32-bit or 64-bit.

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input!  I finally got VWS set up and now I am just waiting for my data to start showing up on wunderground. Its going smoothly for APRS so far.  Thanks again everyone!!!