Author Topic: Ferrite block - WLIP  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Ferrite block - WLIP
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »
Anybody know if the ferrite line block on the WLIP short cable section serves any real purpose in normal installations 

In confined installations this short cable and positioning of the line block reduces how the mounting flexibility. If there needs to be a line filter/block then at least the cable should be a few inches (or more) longer to be able to better position the RJ45 connection end.   

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Ferrite block - WLIP
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
I was looking at the Weatherlink manual and I see a what appears to be a standard clamp-on ferrite on the data cable.

My guess is that there was some kind of EMC or FCC compliance issue and they had to add it to pass emissions tests.

Unless there was a strange interference issue with the console and the dongle, it is probably just to pass these tests.

On a lot of these plastic encased ferrites, you can pry the latch apart and remove it. I can't tell from the picture if it is one of these or is permanently over-molded onto the cable. In that case I wouldn't try to remove it since it would not be replaceable if there was a problem.

Also, you might disturb neighbor's radio/TV reception (or at least in the 'old' days of TV this was true) if it is removed.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Ferrite block - WLIP
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »
Yeah they are a one piece type probably fitted before either end is fixed so not very friendly to remove with any certainity.

Retro designs (after thoughts) like this can be a nuisance as probably if designed from scratch would be different. What be nice to simply plug the cable into the bottom of the case. 

anything