Author Topic: New Bloomsky App for IOS  (Read 5097 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
New Bloomsky App for IOS
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
http://weatherlution.com/new-bloomsky-weather-app/

I'm not sure what to think of this one.  It's "cleaner", but maybe too clean.  Looks like the battery indicator is gone.  Pressure is still off.

The main image no longer has a data over-lay.  That looks a lot better, but the over-lay returns when you export the image.

They're now showing what looks like a forecasted high/low (indicated by up and down arrows) by the current temperature.  At least I think that's what it is.  Seems like it should be the recorded daily high and low instead.

I was never a big fan of them showing images from nearby stations, but it seems that feature is now gone.  Now I miss it...

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: New Bloomsky App for IOS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »
Got mine on my Iphone6+

2 things I noticed.....

1.  Most times when I tap the icon to open the app it opens and then immediately closes.  Requires a 2nd tap

2.  When viewing your station details or a favorite, you lose sight of the system clock.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
I noticed that since loading the updated app yesterday, my iPhone battery seems to be dropping like a rock, much like the original app did from last summer.

According to "Battery Usage" in iOS, my 7 day Bloomsky battery usage was 37% (seems high).  In the last 24 hours it has jumped to 73%.

Hmmm....

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
yes, and also.... I can't seem to find the battery indicator inside the app for your station...?  They still have the battery notification (on/off) but no battery level scale or least I can't find it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »
yes, and also.... I can't seem to find the battery indicator inside the app for your station...?  They still have the battery notification (on/off) but no battery level scale or least I can't find it.

The battery notification has never worked for me.  The only way I've known the status is through the battery level scale which is now gone.

Under notifications, the only thing I have showing available is "time-lapse".  I think I remember there used to be more options, such as the rain alert.  I've never seen a battery alert option.

???

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:17 PM »

I've never seen a battery alert option.

???

device settings....notifications...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »

device settings....notifications...

Yeah... all I'm seeing is a setting for "time-lapse".  Nothing else...

I also checked the Bloomsky settings under the IOS control panel.  According to that all notifications are enabled.  Last summer they had me muck with those settings when rain alerts were hit-or-miss.

Maybe I should delete the Bloomsky app and re-install.  Perhaps cruft from previous versions of the app is messing me up.

Edit:  Just deleted and re-installed.  No joy.  The only option I'm given is "time lapse".

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:44:38 PM by nincehelser »

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »

I use the Android App and the battery indicator has bars to show how charged it is.
Surprised its missing on IOS.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
I use the Android App and the battery indicator has bars to show how charged it is.

It was in the IOS version up until the version released yesterday.

A new version is on its way for Android.  Hopefully it won't have this "feature".

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »

It was in the IOS version up until the version released yesterday.

A new version is on its way for Android.  Hopefully it won't have this "feature".

That's exactly what I'm worried about  :?
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:41:41 PM »
Update...

I was fiddling around, and apparently "Notifications" is split across two areas in the app.

If you hit the "gear" settings icon, you get a page showing "Notification" as a menu item.  Tap that menu item, and all you'll see is an option for "time lapse".

However, if you hit the actual device name, it will show a page with the "Notifications" Public, Rain, and Battery.

It's confusing as heck.  Why wouldn't you group all the notification options together?

In any case, the "Battery" notification has never worked for me.  It would also be nice if they had an "offline" notification.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
I was never a big fan of them showing images from nearby stations, but it seems that feature is now gone.  Now I miss it...

I agree, I got in the habit of scrolling down to see nearby stations, to watch for fronts going through and where blue sky was starting to show through.

Maybe this was already discussed, but I used to swipe down on my station image to update it.  I would get two rows of blinking, sort of flipping, dots, then I got my updated image.  Now, when I swipe down, the image moves momentarily down, but it does not seem to update.  Eventually paging through the app, my image does update, but I have no idea what does the trick.

The new App is "cleaner" and more modern looking.  As to functionality in my opinion, the old app was much better :(

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
I noticed they released another new iOS app in the last couple of days.

The battery indicator is back.  It's under device settings.

I don't know if this is new or not, but I noticed the pressure (still incorrect) is reading in cubic inches.   #-o  (in to the 3rd power)

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
I noticed they released another new iOS app in the last couple of days.

The battery indicator is back.  It's under device settings.

I don't know if this is new or not, but I noticed the pressure (still incorrect) is reading in cubic inches.   #-o  (in to the 3rd power)

yup...I saw that.  I still have to tap/click twice (sometimes) on my Iphone.  On the IPAD there is no problem. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
As I wait for my BloomSky to arrive I am thinking, nervously :?, of how and what I need to do to get it connected and work.  I don't use a smart phone (just have my pay-as-you-go phones in the cars for emergencies) but my wife has an IPad that neither of us are very familiar with other than basic browsing.  I presume an App needs to be downloaded onto a Wifi device for setting up the BloomSky.

What App is preferred?
Does the App need to be used after the BloomSky is set up and running?
Do I need something different than my normal cable company provided Wifi modem/router?
I do have a Linksys WES610N 4-port Dual Band N Entertainment Bridge that I use to connect my Blitzortung controller.
Can I use my weather computer for set up or any other purpose of the BloomSky?

Sorry for the dumb basic questions, just trying to get a head start on understanding.

Paul

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
As I wait for my BloomSky to arrive I am thinking, nervously :?, of how and what I need to do to get it connected and work.  I don't use a smart phone (just have my pay-as-you-go phones in the cars for emergencies) but my wife has an IPad that neither of us are very familiar with other than basic browsing.  I presume an App needs to be downloaded onto a Wifi device for setting up the BloomSky.

What App is preferred?
Does the App need to be used after the BloomSky is set up and running?
Do I need something different than my normal cable company provided Wifi modem/router?
I do have a Linksys WES610N 4-port Dual Band N Entertainment Bridge that I use to connect my Blitzortung controller.
Can I use my weather computer for set up or any other purpose of the BloomSky?

Sorry for the dumb basic questions, just trying to get a head start on understanding.

Paul

Setup must be done with the app.  There's no other way.  You'll need to download the most recent app for iOS or Android.

I'm not sure if a tablet will work for setup.  Theoretically it should, but I'm not sure if it will be able to set your elevation and location unless it happens to have a GPS.  I suppose they could get the information through a mapping service.

Past functionality has been based primarily on the app.  You can now access it through a web browser, but you might find yourself a bit behind on the feature curve.

The Bloomsky is only compatible with 2.4 GHz networks.  It won't connect to a 5 GHz network.  If you have a dual-band "n" router (2.4 and 5), you'll need to make a unique network name for each band so you can clearly specify the 2.4 GHz network.

You'll be able to access the web interface with your current weather computer, but that's about it.  Again, it can't be used for setup.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:57:08 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
It has a really good API

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
My son downloaded the app to his ipad mini and had it set up in just a few minutes.  I just go to my desktop with Firefox and look at what is going on

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rp2r

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Just an FYI they also recently upgraded the Android App too.

I'll have to start a post but some pros & cons on the upgrade.

Its still taking time for them to iron out all the bugs.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
My son downloaded the app to his ipad mini and had it set up in just a few minutes.  I just go to my desktop with Firefox and look at what is going on

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4rp2r

very nice....how far away is your Bloomsky to your router?

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »
Probably 60 feet, moved it to other siting even further away and had no problems.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
My Bloomsky is out on delivery within the next 45 minutes.  I have been trying to get the App downloaded but just don't know how I guess.  I don't think I can via computer, right?  Then using my wife's iPad can't find the App by searching.  I hardly ever use the iPad so must be doing something wrong.  Any suggestions?

Paul

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »
My Bloomsky is out on delivery within the next 45 minutes.  I have been trying to get the App downloaded but just don't know how I guess.  I don't think I can via computer, right?  Then using my wife's iPad can't find the App by searching.  I hardly ever use the iPad so must be doing something wrong.  Any suggestions?

Paul

Paul you cant with your computer but you can do is from your ipad go to the app store and search for bloomsky under applications and you should be able to find it.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
Just got off the phone with Nick at Bloomsky.  The iPad couldn't find the App but using a browser did.  The unfortunately the iPad is version 7.0.4 and need v.8.0+ so will have to work on what I need to do next.  Nick was extremely helpful.
p.s. delivery is suppose to be by 7:00 pm so another 10 minutes...  Oh, they want another $45.48 for duty/taxes and custom fees - I presumed as much with UPS.  Would not likely have applied if they had of used USPS...
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
p.s. delivery is suppose to be by 7:00 pm so another 10 minutes... 
Well that didn't go as planned...
London, ON, Canada 02/16/2016 7:13 P.M. Delivery will be delayed by one business day.
Tomorrow is another day...

Paul