Author Topic: Lost gold star by upgrading  (Read 6707 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Lost gold star by upgrading
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
there does seem to be less problems reported with WU lately?
i.e they do seem to be more on their game again now?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Or you could also say that they discontinued the probelmatic parts... but I still dont think there are less problems... just recently there were posts here about problems...

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
Will the last person to leave WU please remember to turn off the server on your way out?????  :roll:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 01:31:49 AM »
Well, i still have it, 3 hours is quite a long time, but, when i filled in their survey (anyone else?), i did say that it needs lengthening to
a full 24hrs of a loss of data, not just a few hours, not everyone is by their weather server when a fault occurs

WU has gone through a few changes over the last few years, im not so sure every change can be without incident, but then not everyone had many, if any issues. But, what company does not have issues, even the UK Met Office's WOW had, still has issues, after all, these are free services.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:34:17 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline eyecue

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
On another note, I can click on mine and turn it on and off!
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
You know, this board has about 736 threads re: Weather Underground, and something over 7300 posts... and this is just ONE weather forum discussion website.... now, many of these, if not most, are regarding issues with WU...

I am 'infamous' for my "negative attitude" toward this now crappy webservice, but at one time, years ago, I was a big fan and supporter, and considered myself "cool" and "important", and ".having great credentials".... since I was a "Wunderground" affiliate.

I'd suggest some very deep research into http://www.theweathercompany.com/ as well as the recurring threads and posts on this website... for example, the 'dumping' without notice of NOAA Weather Radio Feeds, issues with webcams, bad data, etc....

Now the current fad is "My Gold Star".... what the hell... it means nothing... Sheesh.. the IBM acquisition of WU and this irrelevant "GOLD STAR" b.s. among other stuff should show anyone with any experience,  that WU/IBM simply does not give a d**m whether you post your product or not... they're going to scrape "quality data" anyway, and the h**l with PWS data, or your local station.... You want to be a part.. fine... but quit your bitchin'.... you've asked for it,... now sleep with it...

I stopped sending to WU years ago.,.. actually had to request a lawyer to send a letter to them to 'cease and desist" picking up my webcams and cancel my account.... there was not even a way to 'cancel' or 'remove' an account at the time... total BS and incredibly 'arrogant'.

If you believe you are of importance to WU... fine.  If You believe this gives you some kind of "Status" or "Credibility"  or "Quality data"... I've this bridge over a stream in eastern KY for sale... cheap. 

They are only interested in money, selling the service to others, advertising, etc... and frankly do not give a damn how much you've invested in time or dollars getting your 'stuff' to them....

Do some more reading on this forum.. Do some research.. .Just because your weather software offers 'upload to Weather Underground" doesn't mean it's necessary....

Do what you will... live with whatever mindset you've developed.... but uploading to WU, in my opinion, is a waste of your bandwidth, your time and energy, your dollars... and you will continue to be 'beset' with 'problems....

I have felt so strongly about this for several years that this is incorporated in my Signature...

And this is on my "About" webpage...http://frankfortweather.us/wxabout.php

remember... Do What Suits You... don't pay any attention to a fool like me... I'm just an "a*****e  probably as stated in the next reply to this thread... but your disappointments and frustrations are just beginning, and my humble opinion is that such folks as continue to consider Weather Underground as some type of "elite' "premier" web data, website service, are grossly misled.

And I personally don't care what replies follow questioning my 'integrity' or whatever... you continue things as you see fit... sit back and watch...   but it would be cool if all the 'complaints' and BS suddenly ceased, Just Watch!   They don't give a damn about you as an operator, or as a source! You opened an account, you agreed to send your data.. now live with it...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:41:33 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
Well said...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
 =D>

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 01:24:59 AM »
"Quit ya bitchin'" 'eh? aint that what you are doing; re, ya post?

Actually, quite frankly, it is you sir that is doing the "bitchin'" your
post just makes you look like youve spat ya dummy out cause you
fell out with WU,

The guy asked about the loss of his star, far from "bitchin'" he even
when as far to say;

I know that the gold star doesn't mean that much, but it tells me that something isn't quite right with my station. My WMR100 station has had the gold start consistantly since it came out.

The guy came on asking a question and pretty much got slammed for
using WU. Folks cannot post anything about WU without the haters
swooping in.

If you dont like WU, thats fine, tell us all about it, but not, time and time and time
and time, wait how many was that, oh yeah, time and time and time.............

I have no issues with WU myself, i share my data so others can benefit from it
and by sharing my data, i believe i get no adverts? We all agreed for them to use
our data, its in their toc's.

For some the gold star means something, if someone wants to take meaning from
something, who are you to tell them otherwise, i mean, that sort of thing has been
going on for thousands of years, The ahem *cough* Bible.

I for 1 believe that the star is about consistency in data upload over a certain period,
if i want to believe that, thats my choice.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
Well said Bashy  =D>

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
Not going to get into weather or not WU is a reputable service.
For myself I don't have a website so WU offers a platform to view my data.  They also have an app to also view my data. So for me I have no problem using their service. I get to view the site with no adds which is a huge plus for me.  I also like the fact I get an email if my station is not reporting. They also offer the Rapid Fire option to view live data. All this costs me nothing more then uploading my data. To me it's a fair trade off.
I send data to a lot of places. I have no issue with sharing it and they can use it for whatever purpose they like.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
remember... Do What Suits You... don't pay any attention to a fool like me... I'm just an "a*****e  probably as stated in the next reply to this thread...
:grin:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
 #-o

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
You know, this board has about 736 threads re: Weather Underground, and something over 7300 posts... and this is just ONE weather forum discussion website.... now, many of these, if not most, are regarding issues with WU...

I am 'infamous' for my "negative attitude" toward this now crappy webservice, but at one time, years ago, I was a big fan and supporter, and considered myself "cool" and "important", and ".having great credentials".... since I was a "Wunderground" affiliate.

I'd suggest some very deep research into http://www.theweathercompany.com/ as well as the recurring threads and posts on this website... for example, the 'dumping' without notice of NOAA Weather Radio Feeds, issues with webcams, bad data, etc....

Now the current fad is "My Gold Star".... what the hell... it means nothing... Sheesh.. the IBM acquisition of WU and this irrelevant "GOLD STAR" b.s. among other stuff should show anyone with any experience,  that WU/IBM simply does not give a d**m whether you post your product or not... they're going to scrape "quality data" anyway, and the h**l with PWS data, or your local station.... You want to be a part.. fine... but quit your bitchin'.... you've asked for it,... now sleep with it...

I stopped sending to WU years ago.,.. actually had to request a lawyer to send a letter to them to 'cease and desist" picking up my webcams and cancel my account.... there was not even a way to 'cancel' or 'remove' an account at the time... total BS and incredibly 'arrogant'.

If you believe you are of importance to WU... fine.  If You believe this gives you some kind of "Status" or "Credibility"  or "Quality data"... I've this bridge over a stream in eastern KY for sale... cheap. 

They are only interested in money, selling the service to others, advertising, etc... and frankly do not give a damn how much you've invested in time or dollars getting your 'stuff' to them....

Do some more reading on this forum.. Do some research.. .Just because your weather software offers 'upload to Weather Underground" doesn't mean it's necessary....

Do what you will... live with whatever mindset you've developed.... but uploading to WU, in my opinion, is a waste of your bandwidth, your time and energy, your dollars... and you will continue to be 'beset' with 'problems....

I have felt so strongly about this for several years that this is incorporated in my Signature...

And this is on my "About" webpage...http://frankfortweather.us/wxabout.php

remember... Do What Suits You... don't pay any attention to a fool like me... I'm just an "a*****e  probably as stated in the next reply to this thread... but your disappointments and frustrations are just beginning, and my humble opinion is that such folks as continue to consider Weather Underground as some type of "elite' "premier" web data, website service, are grossly misled.

And I personally don't care what replies follow questioning my 'integrity' or whatever... you continue things as you see fit... sit back and watch...   but it would be cool if all the 'complaints' and BS suddenly ceased, Just Watch!   They don't give a damn about you as an operator, or as a source! You opened an account, you agreed to send your data.. now live with it...

I bet you could do an even better job of bashing AOL.  Just like WU, AOL still exists.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

anything