Author Topic: Newby that wanted a continuous readout wind changes decision on PeetBros  (Read 1088 times)

Offline tdhcsc

I posted before that as a sailor whos putting a weather station on me house I wanted a continuous readout wind direction and speed with no dampening.  The board gave me some great suggestions and information.  In doing research a continuous readout wind doesn't exist in the weather station world but only in the marine instrument world.  I had decided to go with the PeetBros equipment as it had a refresh rate of 1/2 a second.  Not continuous but pretty darn good.

I changed my mind.  The only reason I was getting the PeetBros was the refresh rate for wind.  I started thinking,,,why not just get a marine wind instrument (speed/direction), and then a dedicated wireless weather station that connects to the internet as a 'private weather station'.  The only drawback being that the continuous wind display is only for my enjoyment.  I purchased the marine wind instrument online today.

The marine instrument head is both NMEA2000 and Raymarines priority 'Seatalk' system.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the 'marine wind continuous readout' go online at Weather Underground using NMEA2000 as the electronic interface?

thanks,  tdhcsc

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
ANYTHING is possible.  :)  But you need to interface to the NMEA2000 output with something like https://canusb-shop.com/ Then you would have to format the data in a way Wunderground understands.  The API is open and well documented IIRC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mwall

• Contributor
Does anyone know if it's possible to have the 'marine wind continuous readout' go online at Weather Underground using NMEA2000 as the electronic interface?

first figure out how to read the NMEA2000 data.  you'll probably need some kind of NMEA-serial or NMEA-USB interface.

once you can read the data, write a driver for weewx.  this is simply some python code.  there are numerous working examples to get you started, and you can get help from the weewx-user forum if you get stuck.

http://www.weewx.com/

then you can upload to weather underground, twitter, mqtt, xively, weathercloud, smart energy groups, etc using the extensions already available for weewx.  and weewx saves to sqlite or mysql database so you can pull the data directly too if you want.

m

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
For me personally a 1-2 second delay is an non issue. If you think about it, the gust/wind you see if observed in real-time was already at your neighbors on windward side seconds prior and is at the neighbors downwind seconds later. Its so erratic 1-2 seconds just doesn't matter. Just my thoughts.
If interest is also having the ability to provide data to WU, CWOP and others I would go with one of the proven interfacing instruments unless your in for a real challenge.   
Randy