Author Topic: RAIN SENSOR (TX58UN-IT), suddenly overstating rainfall  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Boston4

RAIN SENSOR (TX58UN-IT), suddenly overstating rainfall
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
My Lacrosse wireless rain sensor (TX58UN-IT) has recently (past couple of months) been overstating rainfall amounts by 30-50% when compared with other local stations.  Previous to this time, I had good correlation to the other local stations.  I have cleaned the paddles, changed the batteries, and tested the reed switch (this is a normally open switch) with a simple voltmeter.  The switch reads continuity when the paddles tip.

I can understand a reed switch that fails and would report "0", but can a reed switch fail in a condition that would cause the readings to almost double?

Or might this be an issue in the units circuitry?

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: RAIN SENSOR (TX58UN-IT), suddenly overstating rainfall
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:34:14 AM »
How close are the other stations, if they are not in your backyard then comparing rainfall with others isnt recommended
Get yourself a 4" manual gauge and mount it next to it and compare them over time, not just one storm, this is the advise
that i was given, the only downside to this is the 4" manual are more accurate than a tipper.

Was this over one storm or many? how is the gauge sited, i.s. is there anything above that could drip in to it?

Having said all that, 50% is quite a bit, have you looked at it the other way round, it could be the others that
are reading incorrectly?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:32:18 AM »
another thing is it's mount stability. If the mounting screws are coming loose or the base it's mounted on can wobble in the wind then you can get extra bucket tips.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
another thing is it's mount stability. If the mounting screws are coming loose or the base it's mounted on can wobble in the wind then you can get extra bucket tips.

Good point, missed that...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:31:07 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Boston4

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Your reed switch might be failing resulting in excessive contact bounce. The link below is a good reference with pictures.

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for.   I will replace it and see what happens.

anything