Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149942 times)

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #1025 on: March 29, 2019, 11:55:33 PM »
Ok, for a temporary solution, those using bhsprn.tk as their domain are asked to temporarily do a switchover.
The password, ports, and mountpoints may remain unchanged as it is the exact same server, just the difference is instead of using the domain name you are using the direct IP address, which is, 172.104.31.232
Please use that as a backup for now, and I'll restore the hostname within hopefully the next 24 hours.  I am sorry for any difficulties this has caused.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1026 on: April 02, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
Valentine Ne. broadcast is running again. I'll be leaving up.

http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/valentineNE
Randy

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: April 05, 2019, 07:29:52 PM »
An update, we are still working to fix the domain.  Having a bit of difficulty as the freenom sight which is the provider of the domain is a bit tricky to use with a screen reader.
once I can get some sighted help I shall likely restore the domain back to full capacity.
We apologize for any trouble this is caused.
Note, during the temporary outage, those who are reading the howto, any references to bhsprn.tk should use IP address 172.104.31.232 as your reference point until the host name is restored.
Thanks.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
    • NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio
« Reply #1028 on: April 05, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
Hey all.
Two notes, the kzz52 transmitter is still transmitting at a very very very very low power, hence it's not being received.
I very abnormal situation has occurred.  The servers for bhsprn still exist, but unfortunately due to a serious problem the hostname is reflecting to another ip which the servers do not run on.
I'm in contact with the person who helps me with the IP and we will try to have a fix as soon as possible.
If there is not a fix, I may temporarily refer you guys to the main server's IP address for where my server's run, or I may have to get an emergency backup hostname that is used temporarily until the bhsprn.tk domain can be properly restored to my server's domain and IP.  it's running on a service called freenom, which isn't very friendly to use, so I have someone who knows how, to use it, helping me with it, and we will get it back up as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Brandon
Note...
Brandon is referring to the NWROrg alternate server which he donates... this does NOTW affect the 'primary' NWROrg server on WxRadio.Dyn.Dns.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:13:10 PM by NWROrg Team »

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: April 07, 2019, 09:12:15 PM »
Indeed you are correct.  I got a confirmation that it was freenom had expired the domain so it was rerouted to the freenom main servers.  This month I will be working, with some sighted help to restore the domain.  My server will be using the domain name soon.  I will again refer you to the IP for further streaming for those not connected or having difficulties.  It's 172.104.31.232, port is 8000, and password is smokescreen.  Remember that it's the very same server that you've been streaming on, but instead of using the hostname, for now we'll be using the IP until I get everything working.
Thanks
Brandon

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:33 AM »
Attention.
Noted that on noaaweatherradio.org my stream isn't listed as playable.
The hostname hasn't been able to be updated both due to lack of funds and accessibility of Freenom's webpage.  So Here is the information needing to be updated on the howto.
The server's domain should be replaced with the IP address.  It's still the same server, using 172.104.31.232 as the domain.  Port is 8000, password is smokescreen
On noaaweatherradio.org, the part of the IP that was bhsprn.tk need be replaced with the 172.104.31.232 domain.
The server will remain up and the IP is always free to use.  Anyone of you who isn't streaming on noaaweatherradio.org as a whole that wish to get your stream up there don't hesitate to remember both servers, for crushbox and mine.
Thanks.
Save a life and be weather ready!

Offline mikev

« Reply #1031 on: April 26, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Just wanted to note that I observed over 50 listeners to my NWR feed this afternoon during some severe thunderstorms. A large portion of them were from one of the local school districts, but lots of other listeners as well. I’ve also seen other government organizations, both local and federal (since I am in the DC Metro area) at different times through the year.

I know most here are using the shared hosting server, so you probably won’t be able to get this kind of info (I’m running my own server thru a VPS provider)... but it just shows that the service we are providing is widely used by many.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #1032 on: April 26, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
Hi Mike,

Those of us who are using the hosted server from Chris at Crushed Box Software, we can see how many listeners who are listening in realtime, but do not have a specific breakdown. Glad you have that many listeners. I have had over 100 listeners a couple of time during severe weather. That number is between Chris's server, and my second feed going to Radioreference.com

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: April 26, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »

Fantastic!... SAVE A LIFE!
NWROrgStars for ALL..

Just FYI:  Though we can't isolate 'individuals', so far in April (26th) 925000 hits on site...  and of course, that doesn't include the hits the PWS NWROrg templates have, or your 'direct' PWS hits.  Eat ayour heart out, Wunderground.

Non Participants:  Get your feed online! https://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html  Save A Life

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: April 28, 2019, 05:08:25 AM »
Panama city is back up and streaming.  Also, Can't wait to see what new feeds go up.
The more feeds we add the merrier, and do I dare say, you are all helping to save a life.
It's sad that broadcastify had the problem it did with the link, I think that they've got now about 60 plus feeds, including some from Wisconsin, and a few other places.  Man if that problem wouldn't have happened there'd have been some monster feeds.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: April 28, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
It's sad that Broadcastify had the problem it did with the link, I think that they've got now about 60 plus feeds, including some from Wisconsin, and a few other places.  Man if that problem wouldn't have happened there'd have been some monster feeds.
After Weather Underground blatantly and without notce dropped all Weather radio streams, we managed to contact and restore about 80 of the 130 or so they had on record..  The other 50 or so never responded and most of them remain in cyberspace limbo...
We added about 50 Broadcastify (RadioReference.com) links.. then BC began 'rotating' servers for 'public' access... so we dropped all those since there were unreliable, and often changed multiple times daily.
There IS a way around that, however. We DO have a few 'Broadcastify' active links on NWRORG (see number 2 below) and a few have used number 1 below.
..so we have perhaps a dozen Broadcastify streamers on NWROrg.
There are two solutions to a Broadcastify Stream:
1) Also point your third party stream to the NWROrg server as in https://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html
2) Use the  NWRORG contact form and inquire for special private instructions for Broadcastify specifically, using your current stream

We recently added experimental "Direct Forecast audio" from Morristown TN NWS, similar to what is in place for Florida 'experiment', and the NHC... which are the 7 day forecast for Smoky Mountains, Knoxville,Tri-Cities, La Follette, and Chattanooga. These may NOT carry alerts and Warnings consistently, if at all, so they aren't quite as valuable.  We are also looking at (listening to???)  some other NWS direct audio, but many are still a bit unpredictable, and cumbersome, and may or may not provide 'timely' audio Alerts and Warnings, across the board.. depends on what is available from any NWS Office.

We also need MORE Environment Canada Weatheradio streams.. and there are NWS transmitters on some of the US Islands which would be valuable, especially as Hurricane Season approaches...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:28:09 AM by NWROrg Team »

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:13 AM »
There are a couple of firsts I'm waiting to see.
Apart from Bringing San Juan back, the florida Keys, American Samoa, and Guam would be nice to see them added to the list of NWR Broadcasts, and also Alaska, as well as adding some other transmitters.  Imagine if on one of the states at least, we had every single broadcast from a specific nws office possible.  So, Like in the case of Omaha, imagine, Omaha, and all 8 other transmitters.  We've already got at least, 4, except that number 4, Hankock is currently experiencing a severe problem keeping it off of the air but 3 of 8 working transmitters, excluding the failing hankock one.  That still would be cool.
But I still think this is amazing.
Keep saving lives.  You know what, None from Wyoming yet.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: April 30, 2019, 05:00:05 AM »
I'd like to post a suggestion up here.
This might help us to expand NOAA Weather Radio and noaaweatherradio.org to mobile devices what can't play media files through the browsers, or should thouse still be using old flip phones.
Zeno Media lets you have a call to listen number, so that you can call in via phone number to listen to your streams.  It might be worthwhile to put some of our streams on Zeno Media, formerly audio now, so that people, if they don't have data, or a weather radio directly, or what ever, can actually call in via phone.
If you want a sample of how that would work, call into 605-475-4402.  That is my old audio now number, streaming the Omaha weather radio, which helped me out tremendously when we had the very super gusty winds here this past couple of weeks ago when the power was out from the winds.
Just something to consider, and it might also open up new streaming links as well, since you can stream directly to zeno media, and then have a clal to listen number tailored to that stream.
Though the process seems a bit confusing, the end result is I think pretty cool.
Just an offer to consider.
Thanks
Brandon

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #1038 on: April 30, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
Over the past month or two, I've seen a change in my traffic.  And it doesn't fit the pattern of viewership I had last year.

First off, I'm noticing on my CB stream an almost constant 2 users connected.  About once a month, I may loose network connection to CB and that will drop to 1 or 0.  But within a day or two, I have a constant 2 back.  So I'm guessing a couple of leeches somewhere.  But for little old Bismarck North Dakota, that's more than I would expect.  It just doesn't seem like home user would be streaming constantly.

The other thing I've noticed is there are high "burst" usages at times.  On my CB stream, the high burst is 15.  Last year I saw maybe 8, and that was only once ever.  Now I see that 15 about once a month.  Even on my "backup" PI box, I'm seeing bursts of 8.  And that is using the MediaMon program suggested.  But for a few months in a row, I see that high burst until my weather PC reboots and I loose that history in MediaMon.

On my Broadcastify stream, I've seen once I hit 15 streams about a month ago.  Hasn't happened since.  Normally I get 3-5 users per a day hitting that stream.  Once storm last summer I think I had something like 20 within a couple of hours.  It is nice Broadcastify does show hourly reports of users.

I'm not complaining by any means about the usage.  I have it out there, use it.  I just thought I would report what usage I'm seeing and that it has changed as of late, for what ever reason.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #1039 on: April 30, 2019, 06:31:25 PM »
Sigh....
Just a little bit ago, we said 'so long' to the Covington Ky' stream... From "Joe's Weather"...
MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY.. we say adieu from the NWROrg Team  to "Jumpin'" Joe Lapensee, who, like many of us "old timers" gradually must back down a bit...
Joe is one of the very first, original Cadre, NWRORG bunch, and helped get this thing off the ground.  We will miss the fun and gemes with him... but he'll probably be hovering in the background watching things...

....anybody feels like sending him a "Say it ain't so, Joe!" email, feel free to swamp him... heh, heh, heh,. :twisted:
 (If can't find his email,. PM me , I'll be glad to help spam'im)..... :-"
Joe is One Fine Fellow.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:33:23 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Yes, we get queries,.. often from folks who become concerned...
thought we'd share this one...
sometimes we can help...  sometimes we cannot, as in this request..
In this case we were able to tell them we had no significant stream disconnects during that period, thanks to Doug's QRA platform hourly monitoring from the two Arkansas providers, but that didn not mean ther hadn't been a brief transmitter issue.. They were conceerend about a possible weather radio problem.. We suggested they inquire at LZK
"Country, state, province, City :   Dover, Arkansas
Comments:   On May 2, 2019 we had a severe line coming our way. I have my weather radio set to go off on all nearby west and southwestern counties to give us a heads up.
But on this day it failed to go off for even a thunderstorm warning.
We had thunderstorms early that morning (~1am) & either damaging straight line winds or a tornado as well.
I am trying to find out if there was a warning and/or watch even sent out since my weather radio failed to go off?
Also I should note, the weather radio went off the following day May 3 for a flash flood warning.
But I am now worried that either there wasn't a warning/watch sent out to trigger my weather radio or somehow it is all of a sudden defective?
If I hadn't of been already up (which I rarely am in the middle of the night), that it could've possibly ended badly.
Please let me know.
Thank you

"

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: May 09, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
I must report an outage on the streams.  Looks like the kps509 stream is down.
Just thought I'd put out a quick note.
KZZ52 is off the air till the NWS Technical crew in Omaha can get the parts needed to fix the transmitter.  So it looks like they had a bigger problem than we thought.
Can someone who has a bit better luck with the stream add please update the url in the noaaweatherradio.org page, it's still pointing to the domain of bhsprn.tk which is no more as of right now till I can get it renewed.
Thanks.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: May 10, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
....Can someone who has a bit better luck with the stream add ,,,noaaweatherradio.org page, it's still pointing to the domain of bhsprn.tk which is no more as of right now till I can get it renewed.
Thanks.
[tup]

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: May 11, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »
Hey guys.  Just an update, kzz52 is still of the air.  Here are the credentials, for those who were using bhsprn.tk to stream. I will list the unchanged info first followed by the changed,
Unchanged, port 8000
Unchanged, password, smokescreen
Unchanged, use any mountpoint you wish to denote your nwr stream.
Info, changed, IP is, 172.104.31.232

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: May 15, 2019, 02:17:48 AM »
The kzz52 stream is back at http://172.104.31.232:8000/kzz52
The transmitter is still down so streaming some of the other surrounding nwr feeds until the actual station is back online.  But I saw the thing said this stream has been disabled so I thought I'd let everyone know it's back up.  Wanted to make sure the URL was updated.

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #1045 on: May 29, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
Happy to see our stream is being found! This is the first time I have seen over 200 simultaneous listeners.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: May 29, 2019, 11:07:46 PM »
My children and I have been providing the stream for KEC56 Dallas/Fort Worth for the last year. Is there a way to view statistics for the number of visitors who listen directly through https://noaaweatherradio.org/? Our stream URL is through wxradio.dyndns.org. We see minimal usage directly through our site page per Google Analytics.
Happy to see our stream is being found! This is the first time I have seen over 200 simultaneous listeners.
Your family project shows its potential...  [tup]
May this 'family' project help your children always to remember the potential they possess in whatever they pursue.  Outstanding!.
What a great example! =D>
Save A Life!

---------------and a quick report to all you NWROrg "Shareholders"..................
NOAA Weather Radio Org, your community project, the one YOU folks created when WeatherUnderground 'cold turkey-ed" your streams without notice... this crazy Community Project NOAA/NWS gave official approval to, and pronounced a "Weather Ready Nation Ambassador".. this "little" outreach of yours....  quietly slipped beyond a million hits in April, and here on the 29th of May is on track to exceed 1.5 million., remarkable.

Remembering most of those 'Hits" actually are "click throughs" to the numerous providers, and website scripts that communicate and synchronize  with the NWROrg "Nexus" , the actual influence and service you folks provide is incredible... And those hits DON'T count the 'streamacces' through all those 'members' of the "nexus".... which 'bypass" the NWROrg site... From The family project of Plano Tx, the "Idaho" Public Radio 'network' who were setting up 'streams' at their transmitter sites on tops of snow covered mountains... , Metacity.. several other 'sub groups' and all the individuals who participate...and support..  who knows who you help?

Special thanks to Chris and Brandon for struggling with Icecast server maintenance, which 'serve' well over half the streams..
and to the entire NWROrg team we won't list.. and others too numerous to mention... like all you "shareholders".. you approximately 150 stream providers who invested in a radio, an audio cable, and a bit of 24/7 bandwidth.. folks like Lee in Lexington KY, -as an example of dozens- who monitor, not only their stream, but also quickly notify NOAA and the 'responsible' WFO when there are transmitter issues... (and also NWROrg)  y'all are 'anonymous, unsung heroes to folks...  To Lunarpages Web Hosting which allows us a "bit of slack" on the member provided "Shared Server" platform ..  ... WELL DONE...
SAVE A LIFE.
 UU
Oh, and Saturday the NHC will / should restart its 'seasonal' Tropical Weather Update --- we'll probably enable the stream Friday ...

and we're quietly playing with an idea 'back-stage' for fun, games, and plausibility... maybe .. something like  https://noaaweatherradio.org/NWRObeta/v22/Beta2/work22.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:14:56 PM by NWROrg Team »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #1047 on: May 30, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »
During the flooding and other severe weather in my town during May, the listener level peaked out at 59, so it's satisfying knowing I'm doing more than a little good.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: May 31, 2019, 03:51:09 AM »
Hello there.
Thank you for the appreciation.
I'll continue to do my best.  As of right now I'm hostnameless, but I'm working with someone, hopefully they can assist me with getting my hostname restored.
Any of you all can use my servers, let me again give you the information.
The IP will always be 172.104.31.232 with a port of 8000.  Use source for the username if you are streaming with a client that requires it, like the older NiceCast for mac, but otherwise, use password of smokescreen
Keep on doing what you are doing, save a life, and let's continue to provide our services.
Note, KWN41 for those who are in southeast Nebraska is also down I just found out.  They hopefully should have one or both back up in june.  I'll be talking to NWS Omaha tomorrow so I'll have some info on what's going on.
Thanks
Brandon

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #1049 on: June 05, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »

Ditto that.   [tup]  I peaked at 186 a day with severe weather a couple weeks ago.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

anything