Author Topic: GoDaddy Webhosting  (Read 3171 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
GoDaddy Webhosting
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
I currently use the classic Linux hosting from GoDaddy.  I got a call yesterday offering to "upgrade" me.  I didn't talk too in depth with the guy because I was suspicious of being scammed into some other web host provider.  I said I would look at the new plans and call them back.

After looking up the caller ID number and it matched GoDaddy's main number, I looked at the plans.  The "classic" linux I was using is gone off their site.  Only shows the new version.

If any of you are still using the classic like I am, you'll have until the end of the year to migrate over.  Since it is technically an all new plan, you'll be starting a new contract.  But they offered me a pro-rated credit, and the new stuff is on sale 50% off.  So for a low price, I can get 5 more years in addition to what I already have if I switch now.

Just a heads up to other GoDaddy users here...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
Re: GoDaddy Webhosting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
I was using 1and1.com  But they have a people problem.  They could care less about the hobby hosted.  I am looking at eHost  I year for $60  unlimited space, domains, and band with.  I would believe that with a grain of salt.

Mark

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
I've been satisfied with GoDaddy.  I've bought my names though them.  Haven't had any major issues with the hosting.  So I'll be sticking with them.

Just need to find out the actual plan for migrating from one server type to the other.  I will have to download all of my files and re-upload them, that they made clear.  It's just a question of how to flip the switch after I upload.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
I think I have the same plan as you and also generally satisfied with them, and they talked to me about changing a few months back when I called them for some support issue.  I am just hesitant on removing all my files and then having to reupload.  I can't remember all the supposed benefits of the change, and there was not going to be any cost increase.

I'll have to rethink about it again before the deadline. just like the Windows 10 update deadline :?

Paul

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
I have all of my domains with GoDaddy.  Never had a problem with them.  Just too much cash to host there.  See if you can do a site to site transfer.  Unless they throttle your bandwidth.  Should transfer VERY fast!

Mark

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
Hi Folks,

I use ICDSoft. Have used them for 6 years. Never had an issue. Awesome customer service. Had all issues with my sites resolved within 15 minutes via their support page. Never cared much for GoDaddy. They limited me on my FTP uploads a lot, and I wasn't uploading a whole bunch then, not even GR3.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »
I had lots of issues with GoDaddy.... Switched to ICDSoft, thanks to John and have never looked back and no issues whatsoever. Their customer service is excellent.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
I went with GoDaddy few months back, so far so good. I don't have the plan mentioned in topic.

Stay away from Ipower they really don't give a rats @ss about the little guy. I could put a ticket in and it goes ignored for days. When they did respond it was always my website or my ISP with the issue. They never owned up to anything, amazing sounds like a politician.   
Randy

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
I had a 'classic' GoDaddy site and was upgraded (with my permission) to the cPanel version now being offered.  Was fairly seamless and no file download/upload had to be done.  I did have to re-instate the cron jobs using the cPanel, but that was mostly it.  They handled the DNS changes to the new server and restored the document tree.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »
Earlier I said eHost was $60 a year.  I was wrong, it is $60 for 3 years.

Mark

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Never mind.  Just got told that they are a hosting company to stay clear of.

Mark

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »
I too have GoDaddy and am very happy with them.   

I went a little crazy and got the Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel package which may be a bit of overkill for a hobby site.   

I even got an SSL cert which since I don't sell anything or collect any personal info is totally not necessary but it's a principle thing even though I can't get the full green shield as the template uses some non-https content sources.

I had one issue when setting up FTP when I didn't realize left a letter out of userid and ending up taking my CPanel access out due to a FTP brute force attack which was of course me trying to connect with bad userid since I had setup some webcam uploads.. I called and they said the ticket could take 5 days but it was fixed in less than 1 hr, your experience may vary of course.
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
I have some experience with 1and1, I have recommended it to several of my template users, the good thing about it is you can pay just 0.99/month for the first yr, which gives you plenty of time to decide whether you like it or not and then after that first yr, the prices are still quite reasonable. And there is unlimited webspace and support of all the standard services (PHP, MySQL etc.)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
But do they have ads like this, GoDaddy's spoof wardrobe malfunction of the Superbowl? [youtube]https://youtu.be/3FKkYnVSsV8[/youtube]
Randy

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
But do they have ads like this, GoDaddy's spoof wardrobe malfunction of the Superbowl?

Lol, no but even GoDaddy doesn't have them anymore either, they've matured :)
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
Hi Folks,

I use ICDSoft. Have used them for 6 years. Never had an issue. Awesome customer service. Had all issues with my sites resolved within 15 minutes via their support page. Never cared much for GoDaddy. They limited me on my FTP uploads a lot, and I wasn't uploading a whole bunch then, not even GR3.

John

Thanks for this info.

I will give them a try since my current host cannot figure out how to get nws-alerts.php to work on their server.  ](*,)

Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

anything