Author Topic: Need a weather station placed 7 stories high  (Read 2724 times)

Offline benstead

Need a weather station placed 7 stories high
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
My company would like to place a weather station on our roof to notify us when we need to evacuate to shelter when the wind reaches a certain speed.  I would take a system with more than wind speed if that's easier.  It's also important that an alarm sound either on a receiver or computer when the wind reaches a limit.

The station will go on a 7 story high roof and the data received either on a computer or a receiver.  Ideally, I would like the system to be plugged into a LAN line near the roof and the data received from a LAN port in the basement.

Also, because this is Wisconsin, would one of those sonic anemometers be better or would I probably be OK in winter with a normal one.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Need a weather station placed 7 stories high
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:24 AM »
Is your building made of straw? Kidding of course.  But at what wind speed would you need to evacuate (take shelter) from your building? 

If you are worried about tornado's (or even wind accompanying a severe tstorm) this warning from the weather station would come too late, as the wind could go from zero to too late in a few seconds.

I would invest in a couple of midland 300 weather radios for each floor.  Or put your early warning anemometer a few miles up wind...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline benstead

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:58:53 AM »
I don't make the policy.   :lol:  I suspect it's because of all the glass that we evacuate if gusts or sustained winds reach 70 mph regardless of a weather alert or not.  They want this so I'll give them a solution if I can find one.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
Depending on building construction/interference a wireless Davis Vp2 might work.  Or you could use the IP weatherlink using an Envoy closer to roof, or both potentially.

If you have a big budget RM Young makes some pretty cool ultrasonic anemometers.  heated one even for $2134, plus $852 for translator.  You should probably call them to explain your requirments, and they could better put together the correct package.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
As long as you mount it well above the roof top, most any station would probably work. I would think a Vue would be a good fit for this location.
If I'm in that building, I'm going somewhere else long before it reaches 70 mph! You don't usually get winds that blow 70 mph without some kind of warning. It sounds a little like someone making decisions that has no knowledge at all about weather.

Offline benstead

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
Thanks for your responses!  I don't try and make sense out of what I'm asked to do.   :roll:

Am I headed in the right direction with using a Wireless Vantage Pro2 on the roof, then a Wireless Weather Envoy on the floor just below it, running a wire from the envoy into the LAN and then picking up the data from a Vantage receiver in the basement plugged into a LAN port?  Can the Vantage receiver plug into a CAT5 cable?  Or if I do it that way, am I restricted to a computer?  I like the receiver instead of the computer because it alarms if the winds reach a certain run for your life speed.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
But the PC could email everyone automagically on alert.  And turn on bells, whistles and sirens.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
As Bushman said, the pc and whatever software you use will be able to contact you via various means.

But I also agree with Graculus, I would probably go RM Young or equivalent+ if your management is really thinking personal safety.  VP2's are great, but its similar to Lightning, you should not use a Boltek at a golf course for public safety, you need something like a Thor Guard.

The console can only receive from the outside station via wireless.  It can directly tap into data coming over the LAN from the envoy attached to IP weatherlink.  So if you got the envoy, etc, the console would/could be used for display down on the floor the people are on, assuming it can get the signal.  However, If you do go vp2 route, you should probably just try with console.   If it works reliably, grab a serial weatherlink and hook up to the pc.  If it does not work at that location, grab and envoy and IP weatherlink.  Then sell your extra console to one of us at a great price  :lol:

It will be interesting to see just how many people are still in the building as the wind approaches near cat 1 hurricane (sustained) strength, cause there would probably be some pretty nasty gusts when it was at a low speed of 65 mph sustained and rising  :shock:

And get a weather radio too, NWS will let all the employees at 3littlePigsInc.com know when to man the anny monitoring station at  for winds greater than or equal to 40 mph lasting for one hour or longer, or winds greater than or equal to 58 mph for any duration.

Andrew

Am I headed in the right direction with using a Wireless Vantage Pro2 on the roof, then a Wireless Weather Envoy on the floor just below it, running a wire from the envoy into the LAN and then picking up the data from a Vantage receiver in the basement plugged into a LAN port?  Can the Vantage receiver plug into a CAT5 cable?  Or if I do it that way, am I restricted to a computer?  I like the receiver instead of the computer because it alarms if the winds reach a certain run for your life speed.

Offline benstead

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
Mackbig and Graculus, thanks for your input.  I think you're absolutely right with choosing R.M. Young for this life safety application.  I see they also have a dedicated wind monitor that could sit in our safety office instead of monitoring hardware we don't need. It looks like I'll need to use a Lantronix adapter to transmit a serial port connection to the console in the basement.  I appreciate all your help!

anything