Author Topic: 1st purchase  (Read 2745 times)

Offline ChristineS

1st purchase
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
Hello, I'd appreciate some advice for purchasing my first weather station.  I live in Costa Rica along the Pacific Coast, about 900' in elevation.  I wish to purchase a weather station with the following; temperature, rainfall, wind speed, humidity, barometer pressure.  The heavy rainfall, high humidity and exposure to the salt air is brutal on equipment, especially anything with computer chips/boards/technology.  Parts are difficult to have delivered.  We have frequent power outages.  I don't need to download/track the data.  I'm just looking for a simple, reliable, good quality weather station, preferably wireless/solar powered, with the fewest moving/computerized parts.  Thank you for any advice or info you can offer.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: 1st purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
I don't know about availability in Costa Rica, but in the US an Acurite 5-in-1 sensor and console can be purchased at the local WalMart for $99.

It will measure everything you want.  I can't say that it's the sturdiest thing in the world, but the entire sensor suite can be replaced for $75, so it's almost "disposable".

Power outages won't matter.  Everything, including the console, is powered by AA batteries.

Here's the manufacturer's link:
http://www.acurite.com/weather/weather-stations/professional-digital-weather-station-with-forecast-temperature-humidity-wind-speed-direction-rainfall-01010.html

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
First off what's your budget? That will need to be determined before we can begin to talk weather stations. Davis stations are good quality and have been know to do well in coastal areas. Parts are replaceable. Since there's no need to log data you probably won't need Weather Link add on. www.archertradingpost.com/atp they ship all over the world great customer service and prices and they stock parts.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Acurite 5-1 or for about double the cost, the Davis Vantage Vue.  The latter may be a little more durable in your area but I would consider  treating the PCB boards with some sort of conformal coating.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »
I can't speak personally to this, but you might want to check out Rainwise.  They're in Maine and make stations to take cold, salt water spray from the Atlantic.  They're pricey, but some here swear by them.  Hopefully, they'll chime in.

If  you're wanting a station to withstand a harsh environment, perhaps this is what you want.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Jerry75

• Jeepneyguide | Climate Philippines
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:49:16 AM »
I have been using the Oregon Scientific Weather Station for two years now, it measures all the thing you require and never gave me any problems. Prices is also around 100 USD.