Author Topic: VP2 Anny Hum  (Read 356 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
VP2 Anny Hum
« on: September 19, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
Hey Everyone,
Last winter during a moderate wind storm there was high pitched whine/hum coming from the walls on the second floor of my house.  From the main floor sounded like when your PC needs reboot and the fan/cpu are struggling. I put my ear up to the wall and it was definitely wind related as you could hear the frequency changing with the gusts. 

The weather was crappy and there was snow on the roof, so wasnt much I could do to investigate more.  I had two Anemometers up there.    A really old OS968 which has stopped transmitting years ago.  And the ~9 year old VP2 anny.   In early “Spring” I climbed up without tools, gave quick spin on the Davis.  Didn’t notice anything but I had noticed early that year that it didn’t spin very well in light winds.  The OS was quite fragile and wobbly, so I rolled the dice, and snapped it off and tossed it. 

I didn’t win, the next day we had a good blow and the noise was back.    I got Davis to quote on a rebuild, but didn’t pull the trigger.  More about not wanting to be offline and multiple trips to the roof. Current cost they are quoting is $200 for fan aspirated model ($140 for non), and $12 return shipping. But I am sure that will go up when they realize its to Canada.  They wanted $60 extra to look at the Anny xmitter.

Kind of forgot till recently, but with fall coming I decided to fix it.  Got a new anny on Amazon.   Not a bad price, way better than Davis direct, and better than Cole-Palmer which is the only Canadian reseller I could find.   Ordered at 10pm Wednesday delivered at noon.  Installed when I got home from work Wednesday evening.    Didn’t forget any tools and didn’t break my neck.  I left the body parts from the OS up there as the U clamp bolts were rusted on pretty good.

I am going to send the whole station in for a refurb.  I will keep the console and while its at Davis so I will still have wind and temp using my extra temp senor.    The FARS failed in year two, and pretty sure the solar panel has failed as I have low battery on ISS all summer, which is odd in itself because I replaced the CR123 a few times and it never went away. The panel is definitely weathered and a bit cracked.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone that has had a service done on their units?  Any Canadians out there that sent theirs in ???

Andrew

Here is a few second youtube https://youtu.be/ZhR2OysWKOA with the sound it makes. 

And attached a few pix of the new anny with the gold point on the vane.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: VP2 Anny Hum
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »
Hi Andrew,
My VP2 was still going good at nearly 10 years but decided to replace it with a VP2 Plus 24H FARS ISS in May 2018.  Some times with the VP2 I thought it was under reporting wind but instead of looking for Davis rebuild or parts replacement thought it was a good time to upgrade to Plus and 24Fars.

I still have the VP2 ISS all intact and maybe should start to look for a new home for it...

Enjoy,
Paul