Author Topic: Connecting 1 Array to More than One Receiving Device  (Read 476 times)

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Connecting 1 Array to More than One Receiving Device
« on: October 31, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »
Is it possible for the Osprey Array WS-2902-ARRAY to be connected to the ObserverIP and the WS-2902a-Console at the same time?  (or additionally the soon to be released WS-2000-Console too)?   Reason I ask is, the WS-2902a console will not display or allow additional sensors, BUT the OberserIP will and will report them to the AmbientWeather.net.

Yes I could go down the road of the WS-2000 and get additional sensor connectivity and a better display,  BUT it does not connect to WeathCloud (from the documentation I have found). 

So it's kinda like,  I want both.  The WS-2902a for WeatherCloud and the WS-2000 for the display and additional sensors.

So ... Could I connect a single array to both the 2902a and 2000 at the same time?   If so,  In writing this I may have just talked myself into a new WS-2000 and buying an extra WS-2902a-Console for WeatherCloud Reporting
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:29:48 AM by MrM1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Connecting 1 Array to More than One Receiving Device
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:36:35 AM »
Yes you can have the outdoor sensor array communicate with both the ObserverIP and a display console. As a matter of fact it can be any number of displays and it can be any combination of displays (2902 or 2000). You can even have multiple ObserverIP devices. Best way to understand this is to think of the outdoor sensor array as a radio station sending weather data. It doesn't know how many devices as picking up its signal. There is no pairing. The consoles and ObserverIP are just tuning in to the right frequency. If a neighbor is close enough in range all they have to do is buy a console and they get your data without even needing to let you know.

But you won't need the 2902 console for WeatherCloud if you prefer the 2000 console. Even though it is not well documented I asked a WS-2000 owner about WeatherCloud and they said it was possible. To configure this you need to do it with the awnet app according to Sir_MAK.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34962.msg358446#msg358446

Another way to put your data on WeatherCloud is to just set up a Meteobridge since you already have the ObserverIP it is easy. Then you can put your data in even more places since the Meteobridge does a lot.

Or you could set up WeeWx or Weather-Display software but that is a bit more complicated.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:49:29 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
Thanks,  Yeah I dont like complicated.  I looked at the DIY Meteobridge idea a few years ago.  Over my pay grade.  Just did not want to spend that much time figuring it out.   Probably going to go down one of those roads though,  because I think I have ruled out the Atlas.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:13:59 AM »
If the DIY Meteobridge seems like too much to figure out then there is the pre-built WeatherBridge which is a Meteobridge already set up. It is a bit more costly this way though. Then it is very easy and you have support from Ambient and from Smartbedded.

I would have set up a DIY Meteobridge for myself but I ended up with a WeatherBridge only because I got a good deal on eBay (got lucky). A WeatherBridge also has the added benefit over a standard Meteobridge in that it includes a license to publish to ambientweather.net. A standard Meteobridge can also do this but it requires a $150 Ambient license and that is then more costly than having just gotten a WeatherBridge to begin with. But if you have an ObserverIP or another Ambient console you don't need this extra ambientweather.net license as you just use that other device for ambientweather.net.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:41:26 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything