Author Topic: Field study thermometer shields FARS 7755, Passive 7714, & new METEOSHIELD  (Read 17059 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Jerry I know you like using the 75 for humidity but for testing purposes I would stick to the 31's reason being I believe when the 31's came out they ran .3-.5F warmer than the SHT15's and 11's in certain ranges. They were not off just highly accurate and don't know where the 75 is on this accuracy scale because specs are more in line with the 15's.

One of the impressive things with the SHT31's they all matched with temperature within .1° and still do new and old sensors as long as proper offset according to transmitter manufacturer date (pre -.9° ) Jan 2016 is used.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:41:34 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Re: WMO field study thermometer shield FARS 7755, Passive 7714
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:15 AM »
Barani shields are still in customs, takes about a week maybe getting close now. Once retailer receives they get shipped to customers.

OK... Barani...Meteoshield...Standard shield  ](*,) Are we all talking about the same thing here?

And If so, Doesn't Jerryg and Jgentry already have the Meteoshields? How are they held up in Customs...???

Actual name of shield is METEOSHIELD made by BARANI DESIGN brand of meteorological sensors.  Two versions STANDARD version was designed to hold the Davis size sensor.  PRO sensor chamber isn't as wide with black interior and longer for some of the high dollar sensors to fit.

allMETEO is the distributor.

All I know is Jerry got his yesterday and when I first posted was told by distributor allMETEO in email they would be in customs for about a week and as soon as cleared and received would ship orders out.

I think Jerry got a set of shields which had already cleared customs prior because first big order went to USGA which cleaned original stock out so this is another batch being received by distributor.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:13:47 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2018, 03:59:11 AM »
Barani shields are still in customs, takes about a week maybe getting close now. Once retailer receives they get shipped to customers.

OK... Barani...Meteoshield...Standard shield  ](*,) Are we all talking about the same thing here?

And If so, Doesn't Jerryg and Jgentry already have the Meteoshields? How are they held up in Customs...???

Actual name of shield is METEOSHIELD made by BARANI DESIGN brand of meteorological sensors.  Two versions STANDARD version was designed to hold the Davis size sensor.  PRO sensor chamber isn't as wide with black interior and longer for some of the high dollar sensors to fit.

All I know is Jerry got his yesterday and when I first posted was told by distributor allMETEO in email they would be in customs for about a week and as soon as they cleared and they received would ship orders out.

I think Jerry got a set of shields which had already cleared customs prior because first big order went to USGA which cleaned original stock out so this is another batch being received by distributor.

Sorry, My statement about the different names was a failed attempt at sarcasm. I assumed we were using 3 different names for the same thing. I think calling it a "standard shield" is likely to cause confusion to readers though.

Understood about the Customs issue. I thought none of the new Meteoshields had made it to any distributors yet. Then members say they set one up?? It was confusing.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Field study thermometer shields FARS 7755, Passive 7714, & new METEOSHIELD
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2018, 05:23:55 AM »
Here are the shield differences; 
   PRO
ULTIMATE PRECISION
Double louver design eliminates heat transfer
Light absorbent black inner louvers
UV & impact resistant Titanium white outside
Hydrophobic plastic.
Maintenance free; not affected by soiling and dirt.
No flat surfaces = spider web free on the inside.                                                 

Standard
SUPERB ACCURACY & PROTECTION
Slotted louver design reduces heat transfer
Large inner volume (Diam: 65mm, Height: 150mm) Fits Davis SHT31
UV & impact resistant Titanium white outside
Hydrophobic plastic.
MeteoShield does not like bugs and bugs don't like it either.
Randy

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2018, 06:00:56 AM »
The Pro version should work for those of us with SHT75 setups.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »
I am going to be doing some swapping around with sensors, right now i am running 75's in both Barani shields to compare the two shields. I had the 75's together and checked the temp of each side by side so i know they match pretty well. At the same time i have a 31 in the fars which matched in temp with the 75's. After todays run i am going to put the 31 in the standard shield and move the 75 to the fars and compare that way. Right now the pro and standard temps are the same as well as the fars all at 74.0f degrees.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »

All I know is Jerry got his yesterday and when I first posted was told by distributor allMETEO in email they would be in customs for about a week and as soon as cleared and received would ship orders out.

The USGA is buying up these bad boys?  Interesting.  I wonder what they have been using prior to the new shield.  If it was some kind of FARS, this will be a huge reduction in work for the folks trying to maintain the stations. 

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
Hey Jerry, how did your lows and maximum humidity compare between the FARS & Barani shield?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2018, 10:56:14 AM »
Ok just a little change up to stuff, i now have my new 31 in the standard shield in its permanent spot and the fars is still the 31 and the pro is still the 75. Now i can do some good checks between them.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2018, 11:04:11 AM »
My interest in the Barani shield has gone up. Jerry, Could you post some pics on here on how you mounted the Barani pro shield?  Also, how is the response time compares to the FARS?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »
Jerry, do you have an RM Young or Vaisala radiation shield to put head to head against the Baranti? 

They have been around a long time, are 'standard' but very pricey new (eBay has them pretty good once in awhile) and I'm wondering if the new design as taken the passive method one step further towards true ambient temps.

I recall seeing a graph from Young, I think, on how wind speed affects the temperature, based against temperature.  It was as much as 4 degrees different on a calm warm day, if I recall.

Are you also logging if there is sunshine vs. overcast to see if there are greater degrees of disparity on a cloudy day vs. sunshine?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
Every time I read 'Baranti' I think I should be over on the Coffee Geeks site reading about the newest espresso machine or coffee grinder. 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
Well as far as pictures go don't know how to post on here, might figure it out. Its not too fancy just mounted on my tower with an 8 feet galvanized pipe mounted cross ways on it with virtical mounting pipes. The standard shield is on one end and the pro is on the other connected to the iss mounted on the standard Davis mount with the uv and solar sensors so have a longer cable made up on my 75 sensor i made so i could mount the shield facing north so as not to shade the sensors. The standard was easier even though it had the shorter cable from the 31 sensor. I used the metal Davis mounting plate that fits the fars setup and i mounted the iss using one of the holes nearest the shield, i do not use Davis rain gauges all mine are external gauges so i don't have the problem of keeping it level and bulky. This mount is my test mount and i don't use it for anything else so didn't need rain gauge or anything else to mount on the plate. If i had the rain gauge set up then i would have had to extend the cable or figure out some really fancy way moving the iss to get it better located but then rain gauge wouldn't reach  ](*,)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
Jerry, do you have an RM Young or Vaisala radiation shield to put head to head against the Baranti? 

They have been around a long time, are 'standard' but very pricey new (eBay has them pretty good once in awhile) and I'm wondering if the new design as taken the passive method one step further towards true ambient temps.

I recall seeing a graph from Young, I think, on how wind speed affects the temperature, based against temperature.  It was as much as 4 degrees different on a calm warm day, if I recall.

Are you also logging if there is sunshine vs. overcast to see if there are greater degrees of disparity on a cloudy day vs. sunshine?

If anything the Davis fars over cooled on calm days. How's that possible you might ask, it may have something to do with Venturi effect  through sensor chamber shedding heat prior to sensor, ( like heat exchanger does but with air) for whatever reason they scored it lower because of it. 
So IMO the Davis FARS as reference may be bad choice because it reads low on calm days, but for Davis owners is all that matters, how does it compare.
Read the comments of WMO study. I found it odd a shield could actually over cool but the Davis FARS does. 

If meteoshield beats the Davis passive 7714 that will be impressive. The calm days my test the 7714 was 1.6° higher than Davis Fars which may be actually overcooling. The 7714 was with reference shield 97-99% of time depending on wind speeds and scored a perfect 5 of 5 rating.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:32:45 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
Since i got the sensors where i want them i have been keeping a written log every half hour, while i sit here watching movies lol, and note the sky conditions when i take the reading along with air speed.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »

If anything the Davis fars over cooled on calm days. How's that possible you might ask, it may have something to do with Venturi effect  through sensor chamber shedding heat prior to sensor, ( like heat exchanger does but with air) for whatever reason they scored it lower because of it. 
So IMO the Davis FARS as reference may be bad choice because it reads low on calm days, but for Davis owners is all that matters, how does it compare.
Read the comments of WMO study. I found it odd a shield could actually over cool but the Davis FARS does. 

If meteoshield beats the Davis passive 7714 that will be impressive. The calm days my test the 7714 was 1.6° higher than Davis Fars which may be actually overcooling. The 7714 was with reference shield 97-99% of time depending on wind speeds and scored a perfect 5 of 5 rating.
[/quote]

From allmeto.com

“BASED IN INDEPENDENT TESTING FROM CUSTOMERS IN REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS (LITTOCLIME, FRANCE 2017)”
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:25:03 PM by jgentry »

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me that the FARS would be cooler than the passive reference shield on low wind days. The study authors even admit that the reference shield exhibited solar errors on such days.

Also, the FARS is pretty impervious to wind, which either has to enter above the sensor and go through the fan that's blowing perpendicular to the air flow or enter from the bottom to get sucked into the chamber. We know the Davis stock fan is not that powerful. So it's not hard to imagine the chamber temp being just a bit warmer than passive shields if the wind is strong enough.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Well as far as pictures go don't know how to post on here, might figure it out. Its not too fancy just mounted on my tower with an 8 feet galvanized pipe mounted cross ways on it with virtical mounting pipes. The standard shield is on one end and the pro is on the other connected to the iss mounted on the standard Davis mount with the uv and solar sensors so have a longer cable made up on my 75 sensor i made so i could mount the shield facing north so as not to shade the sensors. The standard was easier even though it had the shorter cable from the 31 sensor. I used the metal Davis mounting plate that fits the fars setup and i mounted the iss using one of the holes nearest the shield, i do not use Davis rain gauges all mine are external gauges so i don't have the problem of keeping it level and bulky. This mount is my test mount and i don't use it for anything else so didn't need rain gauge or anything else to mount on the plate. If i had the rain gauge set up then i would have had to extend the cable or figure out some really fancy way moving the iss to get it better located but then rain gauge wouldn't reach  ](*,)

You should see “attachments” below the written section. So basically I can take a mounting bracket for the Davis temp/hum station and install the Barani pro shield underneath it like the Davis stock shield?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
Not quite sure what you are saying, but if you want to replace the davis shield with the barani  you could i guess but it would take a lot of thinking out how to make it fit to the base of the davis setup. If you needed it underneath the davis set up then the best way would be to mount the barani on the support at the proper height and then mount the davis base on top of it using the separate mounting brackets. I would not try mounting it to the base of the davis because you would have to make some kind of bracket to top mount the barani, i noticed in their ads they say top mount is available. Might be able to use the top set up to do it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
One thing to remember, you can't get far away from ISS because plugs on these 31's are shorter than ever now. Barely reaches as is and gives no wiggle room.

I don't know what Davis was thinking maybe trying to sell the 30' plugs. Oh yeah we could always purchase the 30 footers for extra $10.

Also for mounting on pipe you could leave existing shield base and just mount under like I did on the 7714.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:16:18 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
Pictures standard and pro

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
Just some info with the pro generally showing lower temps i took my calibrated temp meter and inserted the probe inside the pro shield and watch console and meter they were dead on with each other so the readings are correct. My meter certified +/- .3f pretty close to dead on when checked with factory calibrator box. It looks like the pro is pretty niffty. The standard shield so far has stayed even with the fars and at times slightly lower in temp, looks good also.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Look good Jerry
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2018, 03:36:59 PM »
If you can get images to computer say email, I've alway found the snipping tool to be handy for easy publish.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
Short update averages from 10 am to 2:30 pm  pro 83.9  standard 84.4 fars 84.5

anything