Author Topic: Temperature Spike  (Read 4532 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Temperature Spike
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
OK, here's a strange one.  OS WMR968/WUHU.  When I got to work today (Yeah, people want electricity on Saturday, too!)(Yes, I'm feeling much better.  Thank you everyone so much for your well wishes!) I checked the CWOP page for my station and I noticed that the temperature spiked to 0 then back to normal.  It was raining when I left for work, and I had noticed a little thunder.  If there is a power outage, my computer is set to reboot and restart WUHU and redial the modem, etc.  Usually if there is a power outage there is just a blank space in the graph, not a spike.  Anybody else experienced something like this?  It could be the software, or it could be something with the outside sensor.  I just thought it was curious.  Also, I did delete the false reading from WU.  Also #2, all the other sensors normal during the same time frame.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:11:34 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Re: Temperature Spike
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »
Greg, I had a similar situation on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. With me it was on my remote sensor channel 2, which fortunately isn't the one which provides the data for Wunderground, so no harm done.

At exactly the same time both days (13:32) my 'Daily High' temperature shot up to 26.50c, when it should have read 4.00c and my 'Daily low' humidity dropped to 39% when it should have read 79%, most odd that it didn't show on my console. I can only assume that it was a glitch in VWS.

Alan
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
Never noticed a spike on my 968.  Had a period of flatlines on channel for a while, but that disappered so I am going with interference that solved itself....

Did the CWOP pages change?  There are a bunch of different excel links now, but my page no longer shows the comparitive averages of local stations on my graphs anymore...

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C8618

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
I thought I had given all pertinent information, but I guess I forgot a detail or two.

I am currently using a  THGR122NX on channel 1 as my sensor going to the console and then on to WUHU (my weather software).

Alan:  It could be a glitch in the sensor.  I'll have to check it when I get home.  However, it is working normally, so I don't know if I'll find anything or not.

Andrew:  No red lines on your QA graphs is really strange.  I still have red and blue lines on my QA page:

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0148?tile=10;days=3

If you want to see the real temperature spike, it is on my main CWOP page:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW0148!Euchee&last=12

It may just be one of those strange things I never get the  answer to.  ::shrug::

Greg   ](*,)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »
Greg,
Thanks for confirming that the averages should still be there.  I will drop Philip a note.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »

my page no longer shows the comparitive averages

It is odd that you summary page is not showing the predicted value in red but you can able to add some data to compare on your daily page.
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/qchart/C8618?date=20090214

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »
Thanks, I have used that before.  Its actually good, because I can eliminate all the pws's and just compare to the local airport.  I was not really looking to compare anything, I just noticed yesterday at work, thought it was just that pc or site difficulties... but then noticed again this morning.
Andrew

It is odd that you summary page is not showing the predicted value in red but you can able to add some data to compare on your daily page.
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/qchart/C8618?date=20090214

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
Well, I got home and checked things out.  Everything is running normally.  I checked the WUHU alarm log and it said that the temp/RH and rain sensors had not sent a signal for 300 seconds.  So I guess they decided to take five!  I donno.  I guess it'll remain a mystery.  At least I know it wasn't the computer or software.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »
Philip responded... He said they suspend comparitives for a week when someone changes their altitude to make sure all is correct. I reminded him that I did not change my altitude, they did by accident, when the old cwop location file was loaded for a few hours.  So I will get my averages back in a few more days...

Andrew

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »
I noticed that the redline comparatives are missing for 3 or four hours today.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »
Yeah, I sent an email to the mailing list about it.  Only one response where someone else had noticed it.  It was back, though, last time I looked.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:34:16 AM »
My red line is back, and I also noticed the missing few hours of compare.

Andrew

ps: I also jynxed myself, had my first flatline in months. I did dig out my old thermo xmitter and charged it up.  while it was not connected to a sensor, it was the only "new" piece of electronics in the house at the time of the flat line, so I removed the battery....  I was going to try and used it in my FARS spring project.  but at 3.6 volts, not sure how long or how fast that would make a 12 volt pc fan go.....  However I figure I might just grab a cheap 12volt lighting system at the depot.  Then I can use if for my heated rain gauge in winter and shield in summer.  I need to turn off my main lighting system, it has been power up at a few hundred watts since november when I installed my rain gauge heater...