Author Topic: WMR200 Data Logger Won't Upload to PC  (Read 15223 times)

Offline Markjp

WMR200 Data Logger Won't Upload to PC
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
I'm having extreme difficulty in getting the data my WMR200 stores in its data logger to upload to my PC. I have tried using OS's own program Weather OS and also Virtual Weather Station which I had on a 30 day trial but has now expired.

OS customer service are next to useless, they say the problem is with my PC and that maybe its been infected with spyware. My PC runs Windows 7 and I also have a laptop running Windows XP, I have checked both for spyware and have tested the weather software on both machines.

Can anybody help with a solution?

Mark

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
Re: WMR200 Data Logger Won't Upload to PC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
Have you ever been successful uploading to the PC?  I have had occurances when the console would not transmit.  it happens more often with the WMR100, but has happened witht he WMR200 as well.  I think it may have something to do with the USB ports.  Anyway, I reset the console and it started talking again to the PC.  Give that a try.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline Markjp

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Have you ever been successful uploading to the PC?  I have had occurances when the console would not transmit.  it happens more often with the WMR100, but has happened witht he WMR200 as well.  I think it may have something to do with the USB ports.  Anyway, I reset the console and it started talking again to the PC.  Give that a try.

I can get the live data to transmit to the the Weather OS software and it also worked on Virtual Weather Station, but never has any of the historic data stored in the data logger appeared. It should just appear shouldn't it? I dont have to do anything other than connect the WRM200 to my PC and fire up the program?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »
My 200 is in a stand alone location and collects data. If I need the data to merge into the main file I boot VWS on my netbook, then plug the 200 into it and it downloads. If you are using VWS the data will not show on graphs etc. until you reboot VWS.

If you look in the Data directory you'll find dbase.csv, that's the main database and where the data should be. If you open it, be aware that if it's open during an update cycle it won't record that cycle, so make a copy and open that. The first column is the date and time and you will need to highlite and format that column as a "number" with 0 decimal places.

Once you have that, the number will be in the format of year, month, day, (24) hour and minute i.e., my last update a few minutes ago was 201108170845. Look down to the bottom for the latest update. In my case I found that I have to boot VWS first, then plug in the 200 to get it to download.

Also, you can tell if the 200 is actually collecting data by looking at the number of days of memory available. Press the TIME icon 4 times and it will tell how many days are left depending on how often you have it set. Wait a day and it should be one less.

I should add that we have power outages, so the PC goes down, but of course the 200 keeps logging, I found when I then booted the PC and VWS the 200 wouldn't download automatically, that's when I went to the boot first, then plug in the 200 to get it to work.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:51:27 AM by stevebrtx »

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:48:47 AM »

Did you turn on the logger feature?  By default I believe the datalogger is off on the WMR200.
Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline Markjp

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
The data logger is on as the number of remaining days is reducing. I can't see anywhere in my instruction manual that says you can turn it off.

Offline Markjp

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have finally got my WMR200 to work with VWS on my netbook which is running windows XP.

Does the WMR200 and VWS run ok on windows 7? I can't run a trial on my windows 7 PC as I have done this previously when I couldn't get my weather station to upload (didn't know what I was doing basically), so I wasted the trial period.

If it does I think I will purchase the software.

Is the Pro version the one to go for if I don't need the Internet functionality?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Runs just fine on Win 7.

Offline Job

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Hi folks,

In 2008, i was stuck to find a good (or at least working) software for my WMR100.
After a lot of tests, i found graphweather, which is definitively a nice (and free) software to build (and publish) graphs from weather data.

http://www.aguilmard.com/file.php?programmation/cpp/graphweather/GraphWeather_2.0.321_en.exe

Unfortunately, graphweather does not have a native plugin to grab data from Oregon HW, but it includes a csv plugin.
So, i have started to develop a basic tools (xnet_meteo) to collect data from WMR100/WMR200/RMS300/etc,

After 3,5 year of development, it is stable (almost 500 users every week) and deal with most of communication issues coming from OS HW.
You can download it at : http://www.grosjeanne.name/Meteo/download.html [Pick the latest version]

Simply uncompress the zip file into a folder, and run xnet_meteo.exe
You have a tutorial here :
http://www.grosjeanne.name/Wiki/XNet_Meteo:Installation/en

If needed, you have a support forum here : http://www.aguilmard.com/phpBB3/

Have fun.

Regards

Joß
XNet_Meteo@grosjeanne.name

Offline egwillim

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »

I can get the live data to transmit to the the Weather OS software and it also worked on Virtual Weather Station, but never has any of the historic data stored in the data logger appeared. It should just appear shouldn't it? I dont have to do anything other than connect the WRM200 to my PC and fire up the program?

I'm having the same problem- Have you ever found a solution?

Offline wbquick

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

I'm having the same problem- Have you ever found a solution?

I'd like to second this question, I've been trying to get VWS (among other programs) to download the logged data from a WMR200a and have had no luck.  :-(

In general, when I hook up the unit, I can get live data, and it seems like the unit is downloading the logged data (the remain day counter starts to tick up when connected), but the data never appears anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:18:32 PM by wbquick »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
On the Communications menu, Sensor screen at the bottom if it's downloading you'll see the entries being recorded by date and time. They go into the Data/dbase.csv file only (as far as I can tell). Then if you reboot VWS it will display any relevant graph data, but not until you reboot VWS.

Offline wbquick

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
On the Communications menu, Sensor screen at the bottom if it's downloading you'll see the entries being recorded by date and time. They go into the Data/dbase.csv file only (as far as I can tell). Then if you reboot VWS it will display any relevant graph data, but not until you reboot VWS.

After installing in on computer number 4 I finally had some success with VWS - it would download, but after downloading some data, it would hang so I would have to quit VWS unplug the WMR200A, restart VWS and plug the WMR200A. I had sixty days of data stored on the WMR200A and managed to retreive the first 20 days or so. Sigh.

I guess I'll try my luck with WUHU next time.

Thanks.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but then again, the 200's are quirky. My new one is on the wall, but the old 100 is still doing the main work and this Fall it will be a Davis all the way.

Offline egwillim

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
My download started working a couple of weeks ago. However, it has stopped working again. I have not been able to download all data for the last three days. No changes made to the system! Download appears to be ok in the .csv file but not in the daily data file. Data does not transfer to the data file when I reboot.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »
sometimes the WMR200 will put out all 0's for the history data
that could be the problem
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline egwillim

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
I have not made any changes to the system and for no apparent reason data transfer has started working again. Wonder for how long this time?
Paul

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
Not sure if this is relevant but occasionally I'll toggle to the data logger status. I have mine on 5 minutes. For the most part it reads 97 days but on some occasions it will drop to 96 even plugged in. I assume the data logger only functions when disconnected from computer. As I leave mine running 24/7 I wonder if mine may have issues too. I don't think so. WeatherDisplay recognises the data logger from start and extracts data from it. Anyone experience this fluctuation?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline sjg1976

• Contributor
  • Chelmsford Weather
    • Chelmsford Weather From CM2 Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
I'm using the Cumulas software from Sandaysoft never seem t have had any problems with the data logger.

Don't really leave the PC off much so the data is normaly live, but on the odd occasion I have the PC off (windows 7) I've not had a problem.

For those of you that have are you using x64 or x32 windows?
Steve

Offline kalmar

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
I bought my WMR200 in july 2011 and installed Weather Station Data Logger to save data to my pc and upload to Weather Underground. 2 months ago I had a problem with my computer, and after long time of troubleshooting I found out that my ram-memory was broken. I got new memory but after that my station would stop uploading to the pc after about 2000 usb packets (I dont know if other software have this packet counter) A couple of days ago I tried with another computer and found out that there was no problem with my station, it never stopped in the other computer. So I guess it was not only a memory problem in the first computer i used. I will send it back to the company i bought it from and hopefully get a new one.

Offline wbquick

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »

After installing in on computer number 4 I finally had some success with VWS - it would download, but after downloading some data, it would hang so I would have to quit VWS unplug the WMR200A, restart VWS and plug the WMR200A. I had sixty days of data stored on the WMR200A and managed to retreive the first 20 days or so. Sigh.

I guess I'll try my luck with WUHU next time.

Thanks.

Something strange happened today - running VWS on computer #5, everything worked! I was shocked, I installed VWS, fired it up, set the options, restarted it, and hooked up the WMR200A. I was preparing to start my normal process of download part of it, watch it hang, exit the app, restart the app, and repeat, but when I hooked up the WMR200A, VWS recognized it, and it started download all the data without hanging. Four hours later, I had 10 weeks of data in one .csv file.

I'll take the victory where I can get it.

Computers 1 & 2 were HP laptops, computer 3 was a Toshiba laptop and computer 4 was a Dell Inspiron laptop. Maybe there's something to the various USB chipsets and/or drivers in the HP & Toshiba laptops that the WMR200A doesn't like?