Author Topic: Temporary issue -- wxforum.net email notices  (Read 5962 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Temporary issue -- wxforum.net email notices
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
I've received word that one blacklist has added the main 1and1 email egress IP (74.208.4.197) to the 'naughty' list (likely for a recently registered site that is owned by a spammer).  Since we share the egress point, we get tarred with the same brush until 1and1 can get the IP removed and normal traffic resumes.

Impact:  some recent registrations (particularly those that use tiscali.cz email addresses) are bouncing the email validation messages so they are unable to complete registration temporarily.  Their server has declared:

host: mx1.tiscalimail.cz
 IP $ is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=74.208.4.197

Current pending validations impacted for users:

ZdendaV
wewe

who both registered yesterday and are awaiting email validation.

Best regards,
Ken

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Temporary issue -- wxforum.net email notices
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
I wonder why they particularly dont like Czech Republic :D

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
Maybe the tiscali.cz servers were the recipients of too much spam from our common egress point..

Being on a shared hoster (like WXForum.net is) always has the risk of bad neighbors messing up the email reputation of the common egress point.  Happened before, and will likely happen in the future :(
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:59:44 PM »
Actually do you remember a few months ago I wrote you about how I have to fill in that anti-spam form all the time... fortunately that doesnt happen any more, but it was quite annoying having to fill in two boxes all the time to access the forum.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:20 AM »
Being on a shared hoster (like WXForum.net is) always has the risk of bad neighbors messing up the email reputation of the common egress point.  Happened before, and will likely happen in the future :(

Have you ever considered a VPS? More cost effective than a dedicated but with many of the advantages. I run multiple VPS accounts for myself and clients.

Offline wewe

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
I have successfully passed validation, but an email about approval by the administrator did not come. After two days I tried to login page and offered me a "new" send verification email. The email with a verification code then came in, but the link is not enough to click on it. The URL http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=activate;u=XXXXX;code=XXXXX ends before the semicolon and must be copied into the address bar.
My mail server is centrum.cz and registration emails me fall between spam almost from everything, in the Czech Republic this is probably normal. :?

Thank you for approval registration, Ken.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Yes, that is absolutely normal, which is why I completely got rid of seznam.cz and centrum.cz and only use Gmail now exclusively. By conincidence, the actual trigger for that was when I three times labeled emails from Ken as "Not a Spam", got an alert "In the future, emails from .... will not be moved to spam", only to find out a week later I have two emails from him in the Spam folder....

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

Have you ever considered a VPS? More cost effective than a dedicated but with many of the advantages. I run multiple VPS accounts for myself and clients.
Yes, I've considered a VPS -- right now, just too expensive ($20-40+/month v.s. $12/month) for the small benefit we'd get by not hosting on a shared server.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:31:17 AM »
I have successfully passed validation, but an email about approval by the administrator did not come. After two days I tried to login page and offered me a "new" send verification email. The email with a verification code then came in, but the link is not enough to click on it. The URL http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=activate;u=XXXXX;code=XXXXX ends before the semicolon and must be copied into the address bar.
My mail server is centrum.cz and registration emails me fall between spam almost from everything, in the Czech Republic this is probably normal. :?

Thank you for approval registration, Ken.
I'm glad you made it on to WXForum.net.. sorry it was such a problem.

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
Yes, I've considered a VPS -- right now, just too expensive ($20-40+/month v.s. $12/month) for the small benefit we'd get by not hosting on a shared server.

You can get VPS'es from $6/month at ie. Hetzner.de (same host as my own dedi and ww-forum)...  ;)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
Hi Henkka,

Yes, I've looked at the VPS offerings with 1and1(Hetzner.de) and they do start low priced for a 1core/1GB/50GBdisk @ $5/mo .. I'm a long-time 1and1 customer, and both my regular site and wxforum.net are hosted there (on separate shared services).  I just don't know if I want to dig back into *nix system admin again .. it's fairly painless now that they take care of the shared servers pretty well. 
What arrangement are you running for your site/europeanweather system on? (cores/mem/disk) 

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
What arrangement are you running for your site/europeanweather system on? (cores/mem/disk)

Hi Ken,

I run a full dedicated, but we are ca 10 wx-sites on it + i run some mapgenerating with Mapnik on it (like FMI rainradar). Its a quad-core I7 with 32 GB RAM, and 1TB HDD in RAID + 240 GB SSD as extra disk mainly for Mysql.

// Henkka

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
That's quite a setup, Henkka  8-)  :shock:  =D>

Beyond my price range, I fear (and likely overkill for this forum).

I run two hosting accounts with 1and1 on Shared Linux Business hosting.  The first account runs my main site, and an additional 9 regional sites I'd taken over hosting when the former admins had to discontinue).  The second site runs just WXForum.net and the regional networks hub site (northamericanweather.net).  There's a third hoster (on GoDaddy) that supports the Southwestern network and a test site for me.

So, all total, I'm probably spending enough per month to consolidate to a VPS, I'd just not like to mix WXForum.net with another active site quite yet.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:16:07 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
That's quite a setup, Henkka

Its one of the smallest dedis (if not smallest) Hetzner have now.

Its the result of shared webhosts who kicks out wx-sites due to "too many hits on this and that"  :lol:
A little bit also due to when it cames 2000+ at same time who want to follow thunders  :lol:
Plus of course that i wanted enough of horsepower to kill mysql with EWN updates, updating 800 PWS-stations + 4000 metars/metoffice/roadstations with all the max/min-datas etc do "some" hits on it. ;)

// Henkka

anything