Author Topic: PC auto reboot?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
PC auto reboot?
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Hi all,
I've got a little bit of a problem I want to solve.

I'm using my old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop to power my weather webcam, station software and of course my website.
But the problem I've come across is, after a power outage if noone is home to restart the computer all my weather stuff stays offline until I reboot the computer.

Over the next few months, I'll be spending more and more time away from home and with the storm season coming up it is very likely we'll have at least one power failure.

A UPS would be pretty useless for me, as I live out of town whenever the power goes out it is at least 2 hours before the power company even gets out here to have a look at/repair the equipment, which is not enough time for a UPS to keep the laptop running.

I've had a look online and found that there is a setting on the BIOS to make the computer automatically reboot after AC Power Recovery. Though unfortunately this setting doesn't appear in my computer's BIOS.

In February, I'm moving to a new city about 250 miles away from here, and leaving this station here, so my station will have to be run completely remotely.
Eton, Queensland, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus
Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 - YawCam

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: PC auto reboot?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
How about using some green technology to take your station off of the electric grid?  Solar panels, a few car batteries, and running everything off of DC to save the inverter loss.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
You might want to consider a cheap refurbished desktop.  I know you can set the bios in those to come back on when the power is restored.  It takes very little computer to run a weather station.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Another option might be a mini-itx box or similar low-power device, which could run considerably longer on a UPS.

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »
I do have an old unused Desktop computer here at home, that I had considered changing over to as I know it does have the "AC Power Recovery" option.

The problem then comes that the Desktop doesn't connect to Wifi.   #-o

My modem is located at the other end of the house from my weather station, webcam, etc. & without an ethernet connection the desktop computer can't connect to the internet.

So I could go ahead and change to the desktop computer and gain the AC Power Recovery option, but I would lose the connectivity to the internet!?!  ](*,) #-o

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »
Try some Ethernet over powerline adapters. They are great!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:25 AM »

USB wifi dongle

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:02:56 AM »

USB wifi dongle

£2  :shock: :shock: ... These are at least $80 here and are quite hard to find

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:43 AM »
Unfortunately using the old desktop again seems out of the question. Just booted it up for the first time in a long time and it no longer logs in properly.

Back to square one.

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54:59 AM »
I'm with 4wd in using the desktop with a USB wifi dongle such as this one.
Reformat your old desktop's hard drive to get it booting correctly again. (might want to watch out for enabling 'auto-updates' if using Windows as they often ask/prompt you if you want to reboot now, holding everything up). Then with just a freshly loaded OS on it go ahead and install the dongle and establish a connection to the wifi access point on the other side of the house. From here you can start loading up and building the rest.

or Bushman's EOP idea...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:12:29 AM by DanS »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »

USB wifi dongle

£2  :shock: :shock: ... These are at least $80 here and are quite hard to find

Dealextreme has tons of them for like 5-10 buclks (3-5 E?) Like http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-802-11-b-g-n-usb-wlan-wifi-wireless-network-adapter-82877?item=2   Reputable place to buy things BTW.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
Weren't some of you using StopWatch/Startwatch or something that sounds like that to restart your programs following an outage?  I'm in the same boat when an outage exceeds my netbook battery life.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
The problem is that many laptops BIOS' do not have the autopower on on enabled.

Offline William Grimsley

• Forecaster
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
Hi there,

Was wondering how do you get a "WIFI" Dongle for 2 quid! I got just a 3G one for about £30 and that was about 3 years ago!

Will
http://www.newton-poppleford-weather.co.uk
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus v1.9.4 (1084)
Weather Underground: IDEVONEX12
Met Office WOW: 717144
PWS Weather: ENG128597

Offline pvwxaustralia

• Eton Live Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:20 PM »
Well I went and brought a wifi dongle. I decided since I wanted the wifi signal to be reached at the other end of the house from the modem/router that I'd get one of the more expensive ones, and I'm happy I did.

I wiped the old desktop clean and installed XP onto it, and was amazed at how well it works after a clean install.
I then installed all the weather/webcam software and got everything set up.
Installed the wifi dongle, got that setup.
Then moved the desktop computer to where my weather equipment is setup.
(I also enabled and tested the setting to auto reboot after power failure & it works great).

$79 dongle and it reports "Low" signal strength in it's new location so lucky I brought the dearer dongle!

WEBCAM PAGE
MAIN WEATHER PAGE

NOW

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »
I wiped the old desktop clean and installed XP onto it, and was amazed at how well it works after a clean install.

Be sure and disable the automatic updates for XP.

Good luck and I hope your system operates like you want it to!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »
Don't forget to disable the auto-power-off and/or sleep/hibernate features of the desktop.

You may also want to consider getting Startwatch software from SoftWX. That software is great for keeping your wx software running. Their website is as follows:

I use Startwatch to sequentially restart my wx softsware on my netbook if I lose power. It should be great for remote and/or unattended systems. I've used it years without any problems at all.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline rc_cw

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
ControlByWeb also has some auto reboot options that would work for that as well, just in case you ever need to change your setup. You can control these devices over the internet. Not sure which one would work best for your particular situation. But you have a couple of options, both have auto reboot capabilities:

WebRelay: http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/
WebSwitch: http://www.controlbyweb.com/webswitch/

Offline ddr

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
One option would be to get one of these little Raspberry Pi computers (www.raspberrypi.org) .  They auto-boot when there is power because they have no on-off switch and they are very low power, so a small UPS might keep them running until the power comes back on.  They are $35 new, but you also have to add a few things, like a mini-USB power cable and a SD card for the operating system to live on.

You would need to run Linux, but there are several weather software packages running very well on this setup.  I’m running weewx on mine (www.nevidweather.net), but  pywws and wfrog also seem to work well.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »
I have a similar re-boot problem (win xp). The computer that uploads data to CWOP uses a dial-up connection that periodically locks up (once every couple of days or so). When this happens the computer must be re-booted. I've added two scheduled tasks to fix this problem:

1) Automatic reboot every 6 hours
2) Start the weather logging software on boot-up

To add the reboot task, first create a batch file (e.g. named restart.bat) at the root level of the main drive (typically C:). There are only two commands in this file:

shutdown -f -r -t 0
pause

This does a forceful reboot, killing any tasks that don't want to cooperate. When setting up this task, set it to run only if logged in and daily. Choose some time (e.g. 02:00 -- your choice). Then under the Task tab of task properties you can add more daily times (e.g. 8:00, 14:00, etc...).

Here's the tricky part -- you can only get this task to work if you have a password setup -- but the system won't automatically log you on if there is a password. Catch-22.

How do you get around that? Create a password before setting up the task. Then, after the task is setup and saved, go back and change your password to <blank> (nothing). It's kind of like Yossarian seeing two of everything  :lol:

You also need to enable the welcome screen (control panel...user accounts...change the way users log on) and make sure the default login is an administrator account. Yes, there's security risks there but I think you have to put up with that for this to work.

Then I created another batch file to start the weather logging software. I used a "for" loop to execute the program multiple times in case it crashed during the 6-hour interval (that's optional -- probably not necessary). I rarely see any program crashes, but it's there just in case. I placed the batch file in the same directory as the logging software. Looks like this:

for %%i in ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ) do cmd /c <Weather program.exe>

where <Weather program.exe> is the name of your .exe file for weather logging program. I added another scheduled task that runs this file once at logon. Make sure you turn off the option to kill the task if it runs for more than some amount of time.

-----

Anyway, with this setup, my computer reboots 4 times a day and I never lose more than 6 hours of weather data at any one time. The computer (a cheap net-top) automatically powers up after a power failure. This has been a pretty reliable solution for me.

anything