Author Topic: PC Project  (Read 52940 times)

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: PC Project
« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
Yup, those be them. Gives me about 30 minutes of battery. I keep reading how the older ones aren't good for the newer "Active" power supplies. Never had a problem in a year and a half with that combo but I needed one for 'The Beast' and figured I'll buy two.

I just started working on a second 'Junior' (parts selection) as well to replace the old laptop running my south cams.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:56 AM »

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »
That's how I found it! Came across the AMD A8 (65W) I was looking at for 10 bucks less at Tiger and noticed the break on the H60. My Cash Rewards C/C just put up a TigerDirect 10% return on purchases so off to Tiger I went.

They're on the way. Mobo and Corsair P/S came today.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501105&CatId=7182

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128659 was $65

I also ordered 16G ram but that, along with the 500W P/S that came today, will go in 'Junior I' and its 430W and 8G ram will go to 'Junior II'. J-II will only run a mix of cams on the quad-core while J-I runs a mix of cams and all the Wx stuff and Brultech Energy software on the 6-core.

I'll be using another Rosewill Line-M case. I was pretty pleased with that one for 'Junior-I'. Nice and small with good air-flow and a blue power LED.  8)

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:34 AM »
Haha. Awesome Pat. I've never ordered anything from Tiger. I see they have some good prices too. Can't wait to build my WX PC. Looking forward to your build of Junior 2 and remember pics are required.  :-P

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »
I've built all my desktop type computers for over 10 years, but believe in using a laptop for wx purposes, in order to reduce the expenses of running a computer 24 hours a day.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »
I've built all my desktop type computers for over 10 years, but believe in using a laptop for wx purposes, in order to reduce the expenses of running a computer 24 hours a day.

Use all the electricity you want.  We'll make more!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

The latest build will be replacing a 9 year old "retired" laptop with non-working display that replaced an old dell GX620. I was loving the savings on the difference but am too limited on what it can do for me. The APU for its replacement is a 65W choice so it won't hurt too much.

It's a big difference from the pre-Wx days when I used to leave them all running (with their CRT monitors) in case I needed one. :roll: After installing the Brultech Energy devices, that quickly changed! My "newer" laptop is my daily driver now and the main machine stays off until I need to do something that calls for it.

And no disrespect to you, SlowModem, but I've been enjoying these $70 electric bills during the closed pool time of year.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
The main reason for me building a WX PC is that the laptop I'm using now runs between 80-95% CPU usage constantly. Just as Pat stated I need more horses to pull the load. Besides building one to suit my needs is cheaper than buying some crap off the shelf. I will never buy a PC off the shelf except for a laptop. :grin:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:13:32 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »

Except for laptops, I too build all my computers, but I don't like using a laptop 24/7 as when something fails it is always much more expensive to fix (price a laptop cpu fan). My WX stuff runs on my file server that already runs 24/7, so doing so doesn't change much. Although I have been shifting more services from the file server over to my router which built using an Intel Atom processor and a CF card.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
My Wx machine runs all the Wx software(3), BlueIris with 5 or 6 cams, the Brultech software and a VM running VM95 and 3 Oly cams; all a consolidation of two (retired) Dell GX620s but with more cams.

My laptop stays at the end of the couch while at home. During NFL, I'll have a few "choice" games on CBS GameTracker going while I watch the NFL RedZone on TV, or just do the normal daily stuff - email, browsing, researching meaningless stuff, mapping/planning road trips, buying crap, etc. It also has RapidPHP and FireFTP so I can play with scripts or work on the website(s).

I've only only owned two laptops in my life and laptops are the only computers I would buy off the shelf (other than the 3 Dells from EBay). If they were easier to expand/upgrade/repair, cheaper to so and more fun to deal with than desktops, I would love to have laptops running everything just for the savings on electric.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
Haha. Awesome Pat. I've never ordered anything from Tiger. I see they have some good prices too. Can't wait to build my WX PC. Looking forward to your build of Junior 2 and remember pics are required.  :-P

Ahhh, I screwed up. The P/S I ordered from NewEgg wasn't module - thought it was as to make an easy swap out from the 430 to the 500 in the Wx machine. Oh well... now I just need the ambition to get it done so I can start on the new one.

My barely reliable Kodak 6150 AllInOne printer died on me right when I needed to print out a few pages of "stuff" the other nite. Kind of glad it did. The WiFi on it has always been very flakey. It could connect for months and then be orphaned for months for no reason. Print-head went on it which I find on Google to be a common complaint. I got my 80 bucks worth, I guess.

Anyway, picked up an HP 8600 Plus. Nice printer and is solid on the WiFi. Staples "sale" and my $75 Discount Tire rebate card that expired the next day brought it down to about $100.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
I got a Canon printer I got on sale for $40. Best printer I've ever owned and the ink prices are cheap compared to my previous printers. Modular PSU's are nice. I'm loving mine. Get it built cause I want to see a pic.  :lol: I've been packing for the move. My garage looks like a warehouse! Got a new URL for the site in Colorado Springs. www.cospringsweather.com

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
Modular P/S in those Line-M cases are close to a must and even then it's a little work trying to hide stuff. Would've been real easy to just unplug everything at the unit instead of rewiring the d@mn thing.  ](*,)

The Kodak ink wasn't too bad but it went thru it like crazy. With the unreliable Wifi in it, I was kind of hoping it would quit sooner than later but it still scanned and copied until now. The 8600 has that duplexer on it for double-sided which is cool. Haven't tried any photos yet but it has the card slots on it which I'll probably never use.

You already have the site up and waiting for data! Great! That'll make things pretty seamless when you get there. I know the warehouse feeling all too well. Hope everything is still moving along smoothly with the sale.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »
Yep I had to rewire everything too when I switched to the modular PSU. But it's alot cleaner now so it was worth it. Still working on the site changing things to CO Springs so when I get there just put my FTP info in WD and should be good to go.  :grin:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2014, 03:35:01 AM »
I downloaded 3D mark just to check where graphic card was rated. Everything stock no overclocking.  Results first test.
Randy

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:21 AM »
You know, I forgot all about 3D Mark. I wonder why I haven't checked that out over the last few years.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2014, 01:58:09 AM »
I forgot about it also, my son reminded me. The download was bigger than I remembered.
Randy

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
Yep I had to rewire everything too when I switched to the modular PSU. But it's alot cleaner now so it was worth it. Still working on the site changing things to CO Springs so when I get there just put my FTP info in WD and should be good to go.  :grin:

I found a passage for the mobo main power to snake thru between the pan and the drive cage on top of the Rosewill Line-M case. Takes a little convincing for that harness to get thru but it (barely) goes eventually. Of course, realizing that route BEFORE I dropped the mobo in would've been helpful.  ](*,) Now I'll have to go back and address that in the Wx box that I replaced the P/S in.

Threw it all together the other nite but need to dig up some drives for it now. I have a few 500G and 1T drives filled with other redundant stuff that I can purge for this box and CD drives from any of the old retired Dells. Pics still on the cam.

In the 2nd pic, you can see where I snaked the main harness thru. The pinkish towel is my "build blanket". I was going to put the radiator on the back but didn't care for the tension it seemed to put on the hose connects at the cooler block so, like Junior I, Junior II went in the front. The last pic tells me it's been a while since I've gone thru my drive storage shelf...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:58:09 AM by Cienega32 »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2014, 02:02:12 AM »
I forgot about it also, my son reminded me. The download was bigger than I remembered.

I think the last time I used it, 4 digits would've been quite an accomplishment...

I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2014, 06:21:59 AM »
I just switched my south-cam setup from the old DV1000 laptop to Junior II after sticking a WiFi PCI-E card in it and, so far, it looks to be a good thing. Only pulls 60-65 Watts with BlueIris running (non-record) 5 cams and VMWare Player under WIN7 Pro (64bit) running VM95 with the two Oly cams. That's according to the UPS gadget. I'll run it thru my Watts-Up Pro to double check that but that's about how much the laptop and old Dell monitor was using. Laptop display inverter went bad so I used an external display on it.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »
Looks good Pat and I like the brands you went with. Corsair and Gigabyte! =D> How you like the PSU being at the top of the case? Oct 1997? :shock:

PS-- I think the pinkish color is the backside of your Hello Kitty case.  :lol:  Keep us posted on how it runs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:37:20 AM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
That '97 drive was a whopping 8 gig too. I've got older ones in a box somewhere but that one was on the "swap shelf".

Laptop (30ish) and monitor (30ish) used low 60s wattage just running VM95 and the 2 Olys. Junior II running just the VM95 uses 53W.

Gigabyte I've been using for years but the last 3 Corsair case & P/S combos is new. I used to use whatever case looked good that day and usually Antec P/S. P/S on top I'm used to and doesn't make much difference to me either way but I do like that in the Corsair case with their wire routing.

You got me on the Kitty - I thought I hid the logo under the case! :-P

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
Now you gotta build that window.  :grin:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software