Author Topic: Odd reception problem with VP2 console vs. Vue  (Read 1721 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Odd reception problem with VP2 console vs. Vue
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
I've noticed something very odd. My VP2's console reception is a good bit worse than that of a Vue console I use. Both are receiving data from my VP2 ISS. For instance, on my Vue console today, most consecutive good packets are 4003 while on my VP2 it is 356. CRC errors plus missed packets on my Vue is only 142 while it's 429 on my VP2. Also, my VP2 console messes up in cold weather (usually around or below 25 degrees), reception goes way down into the 60s/70s while my Vue stays normal. What I'm thinking about doing is unplugging my data logger from my VP2 and plugging it into my Vue console so I'll know it will do better in cold weather. My question, do I take batteries out and unplug the power adapter BEFORE unplugging the data logger from the VP2 console and do I then take batteries out of Vue console before installing data logger into the Vue. Finally, in WL setup station configuration, should I change it from VP to Vue even though data is still coming from a VP2 ISS or do I need to change it to Vue since data logger is plugged into the Vue. Alot of questions, sorry, but I just want everything to go smoothly with this. Thanks for any replies!!!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Odd reception problem with VP2 console vs. Vue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »
Yes, remove power before unplugging the logger, and remove power before plugging the logger.

The setting should remain VP2 - that's the ISS.

What are the environments for the two consoles?  Distance from ISS?  Temperature environment (i.e., VP2 console doesn't like to be cold????)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »
Yes, remove power before unplugging the logger, and remove power before plugging the logger.

What are the environments for the two consoles?  Distance from ISS?  Temperature environment (i.e., VP2 console doesn't like to be cold????)

Both are inside house, 75-80 degrees. They're both under 100' from ISS. I don't understand why, especially when it's cold outside, my VP2 console goes haywire (stops reporting wind and such and like I said reception drops into the 60s and 70s) while the Vue reports everything at nearly 100%. It has me baffled.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
No sir, WL wants to know what console is in use, not the ISS. It should be set to Vue in the setup guide.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
No sir, WL wants to know what console is in use, not the ISS. It should be set to Vue in the setup guide.

Alright, just changed it.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
You just removed your last post, did you figure out there was no new data because there was no new data.....? #-o

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
You just removed your last post, did you figure out there was no new data because there was no new data.....? #-o

LOL! I believe I went through the walk-through too fast and kept the archive interval at 30 minutes instead of what I always keep it at, at 5 minutes. I went back in and fixed it. What I don't get however, is the ISS reception in my browse records says it's in the 70s but I'm looking at my Vue console and it's at a perfect 100%. Perhaps it will eventually adjust to the console. BTW, what does the Arc Int. mean to the right of the reception? Mine usually stays at 5.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:45:12 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

BTW, what does the Arc Int. mean to the right of the reception? Mine usually stays at 5.
Archive Interval, hence why it's 5.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »
....BTW, what does the Arc Int. mean to the right of the reception? Mine usually stays at 5.

It is whatever archive interval you have set for the archive logging period, it will stay at whatever value you set it to

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »
Both are inside house, 75-80 degrees. They're both under 100' from ISS. I don't understand why, especially when it's cold outside, my VP2 console goes haywire (stops reporting wind and such and like I said reception drops into the 60s and 70s) while the Vue reports everything at nearly 100%. It has me baffled.

Lower temperature may reduce the RF strength (output) of the ISS transmitter.  The VP2 console receiver may just be a bit less sensitive than the Vue console.  Or it might just be the characteristics of the exact location of the two consoles.  If you're curious - you could try locating the VP2 console near where the Vue console is placed.  And with the antennas pointing the same.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »

Lower temperature may reduce the RF strength (output) of the ISS transmitter.  The VP2 console receiver may just be a bit less sensitive than the Vue console.  Or it might just be the characteristics of the exact location of the two consoles.  If you're curious - you could try locating the VP2 console near where the Vue console is placed.  And with the antennas pointing the same.

I put them right next to each other earlier, and the VP2 would get a bad data packet while the Vue would keep getting good ones. It's also crazy to me how the Vue got so many consecutive good data packets while the VP2 got so much less.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
I put them right next to each other earlier, and the VP2 would get a bad data packet while the Vue would keep getting good ones. It's also crazy to me how the Vue got so many consecutive good data packets while the VP2 got so much less.

Could be lots of reasons.  A few that I can think of:
1.  The Vue console is just more sensitive than the VP2
2.  The Vue console has better firmware than the VP2
3.  The Vue console is newer than the VP2, and age has reduced the performance of the VP2
4.  The Vue console has batteries that have higher voltage than the VP2 console, leading to better reception.
5.  The Vue console AC adapter is newer/better/higher voltage than the VP2 console's AC adapter.
6.  The Vue console has a better/newer antenna than the VP2 console (or was pointed slightly differently).
7.  Etc....

The "consecutive good data packets" is understandable due to the "frequency hopping" nature of the transmission methodology used by Davis.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »

Could be lots of reasons.  A few that I can think of:
1.  The Vue console is just more sensitive than the VP2
2.  The Vue console has better firmware than the VP2
3.  The Vue console is newer than the VP2, and age has reduced the performance of the VP2
4.  The Vue console has batteries that have higher voltage than the VP2 console, leading to better reception.
5.  The Vue console AC adapter is newer/better/higher voltage than the VP2 console's AC adapter.
6.  The Vue console has a better/newer antenna than the VP2 console (or was pointed slightly differently).
7.  Etc....

The "consecutive good data packets" is understandable due to the "frequency hopping" nature of the transmission methodology used by Davis.

All are valid reasons that could be a result. Honestly, as long as the Vue continues the better reception, I will stick with it for my data logging. The VP2 console is from 2/16 so it's almost 2 years old, which isn't that old. I think I got the Vue console in March this year if I remember correctly. Anyway, I'm glad not to be losing so many packets anymore!

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »
Any info reached in Console  radio diagnose screen ( push 2nd and Chill) specially dBm reception level and background noise level.

You must see this two indicators while move console and or antenna. Also interest see noise while disconnect external power supply or power off any noise candidate (led illumination, PC, switching power supply, Chinese electrical things etc..)

you need better noise signal relation resting signal to noise.

Its important remember hoax about change ISM channels in Davis Instruments.

Davis Instruments use EVER SAME FOUR CHANNELS. Transmissions are using spread four channels at same time. The ID transmissions differencing  uses a 1/16 of second steps difference in packets data time start in 2.5 seconds period. AKA changing ID does not worst or better the interferences.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:03:40 PM by EA1EF »