Author Topic: WEather Underground Support, Features and Reliability  (Read 11298 times)

Offline Breezy Point

Re: WEather Underground Support, Features and Reliability
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 12:02:39 AM »
WU is free is it not? you do not pay anything of the usage, in fact, dont we get the ad free version for sending data?

If you rely on a free third party source to view your data, then you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Failing that, get yourself your own website, hosting is as little as free nowadays (limited) a domain is a few quid
and a free template such as Jachym's.

Want to go even better? you can have your own dedicated server for as little as $6pm you need to know what ya
doing mind but its all out there, cheap as chips, then you can moan at yourself for being offline ;) lol

Sorry Bashy, it's not free. To obtain advertising free service we must provide data to them. They then take this data and sell it without royalty to us. We need to maintain the station and its quality. I do expect reliable and quality service from them in exchange for fueling their economic engine.
I don't understand this thinking. If you don't want them to sell your data then don't send it.
Nobody is forcing you to do this.
As for maintaining your station you knew that when you bought it. It's part of owning one.
Listen, all you guys bitchin about WU just stop sending sending your data.
Imagine how much better you'll sleep at night. :roll:

Just so you know, I did stop sending them my data and wish a whole lot of other people would do so also. I stopped sending data a few weeks ago. I will not support the pile of garbage that they have become.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »
Interesting. 10 day doesn't work in Chrome, but works in IE.  #-o

I had a few hiccups a week or so ago but both of my stations are running pretty good on WU even rapid fire is working. I don't use google chrome but Fire Fox and IE11 is working fine. I cannot comment on webcams, photos, noaa radio and what not as I'm a NFG on the weather scene and I cannot gripe on features I never had.

Cool, thanks for the update.

As of this AM, 10 day and all tiles are working in Chrome. Must have been something on the back end. I do like the tile that shows the chart for all the nearby stations and what they are reporting out.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
As of this AM, 10 day and all tiles are working in Chrome. Must have been something on the back end. I do like the tile that shows the chart for all the nearby stations and what they are reporting out.
On the graphs they insist on showing under the 10-day, can you "customize" the graphs and have the selections "stick"?  It reverts to whatever their default is on each page load.  Been a member at WU for 16 years and the latest hosing by IBM has broken basic web page functions.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
WU is free is it not? you do not pay anything of the usage, in fact, dont we get the ad free version for sending data?

If you rely on a free third party source to view your data, then you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Failing that, get yourself your own website, hosting is as little as free nowadays (limited) a domain is a few quid
and a free template such as Jachym's.

Want to go even better? you can have your own dedicated server for as little as $6pm you need to know what ya
doing mind but its all out there, cheap as chips, then you can moan at yourself for being offline ;) lol

Sorry Bashy, it's not free. To obtain advertising free service we must provide data to them. They then take this data and sell it without royalty to us. We need to maintain the station and its quality. I do expect reliable and quality service from them in exchange for fueling their economic engine.
I don't understand this thinking. If you don't want them to sell your data then don't send it.
Nobody is forcing you to do this.
As for maintaining your station you knew that when you bought it. It's part of owning one.
Listen, all you guys bitchin about WU just stop sending sending your data.
Imagine how much better you'll sleep at night. :roll:

Just so you know, I did stop sending them my data and wish a whole lot of other people would do so also. I stopped sending data a few weeks ago. I will not support the pile of garbage that they have become.
I agree. They have become a pile of garbage.
For myself though, I don't have a website so they offer me a way of viewing my data.
If it gets to the point where I can't view it consistently then I'll move on to another free site.

Offline Clumpton

• Busset, AUvergne, France Current Weather Conditions
Re: Weather Underground Support, Features and Reliability
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 03:48:39 AM »
Hi, a newbie here adding to the general disgruntlement about WU...
However there is a specific bug that I have been trying to get WU to notice for the last six months.
If you look at the weather anywhere outside the US the "Today's Extremes" always shows the data for the date of 25/01/2017
Could somebody who is in more direct contact with them point this out to them?

Cheers

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »
On the graphs they insist on showing under the 10-day, can you "customize" the graphs and have the selections "stick"?  It reverts to whatever their default is on each page load.  Been a member at WU for 16 years and the latest hosing by IBM has broken basic web page functions.

I'll have to play around with that. I added humidity and so far, it's still showing at both locations when I toggled back and forth. I'll keep you posted.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
Looks like the additional selections you make only hold for the browser session. When I looked this AM, I had to reelect humidity. This in Chrome BTW.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
Thanks for checking.  Most of the selections on the web page no longer stay selected.  It doesn't matter which browser or OS I use either.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
That's strange. Running an ad blocker at all? Wonder if that could have an effect on it.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
Thanks for checking.  Most of the selections on the web page no longer stay selected.  It doesn't matter which browser or OS I use either.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Same issue here. Been that way for a long time.
I just resigned to the fact that your selections aren't saved.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
That's strange. Running an ad blocker at all? Wonder if that could have an effect on it.
No adblocker and it behaves the same no matter what OS you use...Windows, MacOS, Linux, Chromebook...or which browser.  Plain barefoot versions of each.  It's their backend which can't be bothered to provide even basic web functions.  This happened last time they "improved" the site, except that time it wouldn't even remember that you had logged in.

It really reflects badly on IBM's Watson "cloud" initiative if the can't even get this right.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2017, 01:08:27 AM »
Feedback survey is now showing up at the top of the forecast page...let em have it lol.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Feedback survey is now showing up at the top of the forecast page...let em have it lol.

Just saw that this AM. Here's the link:  http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3835377/New-Forecast-Page-Survey-Sept-2017

Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Clumpton

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
I was rather suprised to see Firefox using 50% of my CPU today, I closed tabs one by one and guess which one was using all the CPU? Yes Weather Underground 10 day forecast!

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
I was rather suprised to see Firefox using 50% of my CPU today, I closed tabs one by one and guess which one was using all the CPU? Yes Weather Underground 10 day forecast!

I'm running FF and with 6 Tabs open with WU 10 day Forecast, 4 stations open and WU Map, my CPU is running 0-2%. CPUZ is showing my CPU throttled down to 1.6Mhz, it throttles up to 3.4Mhz when needed. My CPU is a i7-3770 3.4Mhz, not OC.................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Clumpton

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:31 AM »
I'm running FF and with 6 Tabs open with WU 10 day Forecast, 4 stations open and WU Map, my CPU is running 0-2%. CPUZ is showing my CPU throttled down to 1.6Mhz, it throttles up to 3.4Mhz when needed. My CPU is a i7-3770 3.4Mhz, not OC.................
Thanks for the info.
I'm wondering if it isn't due to my ad-blocker (Adguard), it seems to have to work particularly hard on WU.

Offline racecarfl

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2017, 02:48:25 AM »
I have used Weather Underground for years and used to love it, the last few months have done it for me, i email them numerous times for support and i get no response, the latest update they did to website is horrible, now i am forced to look at other weather stations other than my own as mine once selected and i leave the page its gone to some other one when i return, many other issues also. So i have deleted my personal weather station from them and will move it to another site. 

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
If you find a good alternative host, let us know, ok?

Offline racecarfl

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
only ones i have found so far is weatherbug and weatherforyou.  What a pain. I will post any updates in what i find.

Offline racecarfl

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
I am now using Weatherforyou.com  ,  it has lots of information and links to personal weather stations site also.  I tried weatherbug but had lots of trouble uploading to their site and they don't have the nice layout or in depth weather as weatherforyou.com 

anything