Author Topic: WS-1001 clone - Accuracy compared to a "National Weather Service" station  (Read 536 times)

Offline rods55555

I'm lucky to have a, let's say, "official" weather station close to my house, it belongs to INMET (Brazilian national weather service). I compared the readings from my station to the official one, and some of the readings are pretty close (temperature and humidity), but the wind readings (speed specially) are a bit different. Maybe it's because of the location. The INMET station is located at a place that is the highest elevation in town and there are no obstacles around it, no buildings, no trees, nothing. My house is located at a place that is approximately 60 meters below (197 feet) and 2.6km (1.6 miles) away from that station. And it's a slight downhill terrain, the only completely clear view is from south and west, there are no tall buildings close to my station but the terrain could be a reason why the wind speeds are not as high as they are on the top of the hill where the INMET station is.
Or the terrain has nothing to do with it?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Being 2.6km away then one would expect differences including different affects based on the other environmental & terrain factors you mentioned.   

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
It is amazing how 'local' weather can be.  I have no accredited station very nearby but there is large amateur station with good equipment no more than 2 miles from me as the crow flies and yet I notice it's the direction rather than wind speed or temperature that seems to vary.  Right now there is almost 180 degrees in wind direction difference.  We are at roughly the same distance from the coast (very close!) but there are some terrain features between us, like a large bay and several hills.

I know my direction indicator is working perfectly because I also have a (strictly analogue) old fashioned weather vane in the garden!   

anything