Author Topic: setting up second console and ISS  (Read 1915 times)

Offline BruceMyers48

setting up second console and ISS
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:40:20 PM »
I have a vantage pro2 ISS and console. This is my second station. I have a vantage vue working great. My question is about the Pro2. I changed the ID on the Pro2 ISS to #3 to separate it from my Vue station. When I set the console up it starts at "Receiving from station no. Is the station no different from the the station ID? I picked station no 1 and the next screen I picked ID 3 by scrolling the arrow to the right. I still can't get transmissions from my Pro2. I went out did the test on the ISS and it's transmitting. The biggest question is The console says receiving from station no, how do I know the station # for the pro2 I set to ID 3? I hope this does confuse anyone.
Thanks

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: setting up second console and ISS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
I have a vantage pro2 ISS and console. This is my second station. I have a vantage vue working great. My question is about the Pro2. I changed the ID on the Pro2 ISS to #3 to separate it from my Vue station. When I set the console up it starts at "Receiving from station no. Is the station no different from the the station ID? I picked station no 1 and the next screen I picked ID 3 by scrolling the arrow to the right. I still can't get transmissions from my Pro2. I went out did the test on the ISS and it's transmitting. The biggest question is The console says receiving from station no, how do I know the station # for the pro2 I set to ID 3? I hope this does confuse anyone.
Thanks

Attached are the instructions to changing the channel the ISS sends data to your console. You need to open the PCBA on the ISS to change the channel you transmit on. These instructions came from the ISS manual you should have. I have two VP2s--one transmits on Channel 1 the other Channel 8. That said, I cannot receive the data from both ISSs at the same time on a single console (a Davis limitation or "feature"). In my case, one ISS transmits on Channel 1 to my console in the office whereas the console in my "bear room" receives data from my other ISS transmitting on Channel 8.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:45:19 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I have already change the ID on the pro2 to ID 3, tat wasnt the problem. When I turn the second console on strictly for the pro2 it comes up with receiving from station 1 the 2 and 3 listed on the console 123. I hit done on the console and use the right arrow to select ID 3. i hold done in to finish and reverts back to receiving my vantage vue atation id 1

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Make sure the ISS has been completely re-powered after changing the ID to 3.

Turn on the console, display should be <Receiving From> press <Done> once, display should be 1 above the line and OFF below the line, if not OFF then press the Down Arrow to turn the ID OFF
Press right Arrow, display should be 2 above the line and OFF below the line, if not turn OFF (down arrow)
Press right Arrow, display should be 3 above the line and use the down arrow to display ON (ISS) below the line

You could also then check all the other Tx ID's are OFF in the same manner, then press Done and display below the line should show Retransmit OFF

Forgetting the other setup items at this point, press and hold Done until the normal display lights up, you should start to see some reception on ID 3 after a little while.   

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Great schooling Matt!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
I followed your instructions and turned off the id's except 3, It's dark and I have a message low battery on station 3. I turned the cups but didn't get any reaction. I will check in the daylight (if we have any tomorrow) that all cables are plugged in. I don't have any message on my vantage vue console about low battery so I must be picking up the Vantage Pro2 station. I will work on it tomorrow in the light. Thanks so much for your help and I will post back with the results.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
So your problem may be a $.75 battery? Great, if so!

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
Good news is, I did go back out after I noticed a wind direction change on the console and turned the cups, to my surprise it registered the new event. Need some sunlight to charge the battery. I measured the voltage in the battery before in stalling and it showed 3 volts. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
Good news is, I did go back out after I noticed a wind direction change on the console and turned the cups, to my surprise it registered the new event. Need some sunlight to charge the battery. I measured the voltage in the battery before in stalling and it showed 3 volts. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

The sunlight does not charge the battery. Rather, the solar panel charges the supercap to preserve station readings, but communications to your console is via the battery, which typically is not a rechargeable battery!

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »
I'm sorry, your right, the role of the solar panel is to extend the battery life by charging the super cap. Thsi has been a learning experience, thanks to some great help from you all. I thank you again for your kind help.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:18:10 AM »
I picked station no 1 and the next screen I picked ID 3 by scrolling the arrow to the right.

What do you mean by "I picked station no. 1"? You can only have one ISS selected in the console. Set #3 to "ISS" and if you want you can make the VUE ISS (#1) a Temp/Hum, Temp, or Wind station.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
I picked station no 1 and the next screen I picked ID 3 by scrolling the arrow to the right.

What do you mean by "I picked station no. 1"? You can only have one ISS selected in the console. Set #3 to "ISS" and if you want you can make the VUE ISS (#1) a Temp/Hum, Temp, or Wind station.

Greg H.

Almost word for word what was said in his first post. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32290.msg325668#msg325668
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:41:01 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
Thanks for reposting my message, yes I have two separate consoles. When I pick up my battery today I should good to go. Just have to evaluate the best brand which I believe is the Duracell. Have a great day

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
The sunlight does not charge the battery. Rather, the solar panel charges the supercap to preserve station readings, but communications to your console is via the battery, which typically is not a rechargeable battery!

More correctly, the solar panel charges the Supercap, which runs everything, including the radio transmitter, until it discharges. Then, the battery takes over until the cap charges again.

Try it. Take the battery out of a station and see how long the data comes in after sundown. As I recall in an inadvertent experiment with a station with a dead battery, it's about 11 hours. I wrote about it here somewhere several years ago.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
Similarly, put the ISS in "test mode" and remove the battery...and see how long that little "test" LED blinks...f-o-r-e-v-e-r !
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything