Author Topic: Software for Multiple Station WU Uploads  (Read 1948 times)

Offline MJB

Software for Multiple Station WU Uploads
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »
Hi -- new member here. Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before.  Didn't see it in any searches...

I have a property with two Davis stations feeding into a single computer and I want to add a third.  I want to upload all three observations into Weather Underground.  I am using WeatherLink (via Weather Envoy with Ethernet connection) for one and Cumulus (using USB data logger) for another.  I have to use both because each seems to support only one station uploading to WU (even though WeatherLink can manage multiple stations.)

Three questions...
1. Is there any way to get WeatherLink to upload multiple stations to WU?
2. Is there any other software that will allow me to manage and upload three stations to WU?
3. If the answer to the above is "no" is there a third software program I could use for my third weather station?

Note: I am not interested in writing code.

Thanks for any help!

MJB

PS: The property is 7 acres on the water and each of the three sites (house, pier, observatory) can have temperature variances as much as 10°F and wind variances of 8 knots.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Software for Multiple Station WU Uploads
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
I presume you have separate IDs for all 3 at WU.  So if you have separate stations/loggers you can run 3 separate Cumulus (each independent and in its own folder), each receiving one of the 3 stations and upload that to its own WU ID.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MJB

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »
Thanks, Paul.

Yes, I have separate IDs (KMDCLAIB2, KMDCLAIB3 and I hope soon KMDCLAIB4).

Didn't know I could run multiple instances of Cumulus. That would do the trick.  When you write "independent and in its own folder" do you mean I would just duplicate the CUMULUS folder on my hard drive and create, for example, CUMULUS1 and CUMULUS2?

Thanks

Marty

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
Not an expert but from a long time user and following the forum Cumulus likes to reside in the root like C:\Cumulus\ for Cumulus 1 or C:\CumulusMX\ for MX version but I am pretty sure it can be however you set it up (however not in C:\Program Files\)

From Cumulus FAQ
Can I run 2 copies of Cumulus? 3 options:

• You can install Cumulus on more than one PC, but each copy must connect directly to its own weather station (one station connected per PC).
  • You can install 2 copies of Cumulus in different paths on a single PC, if you have two weather stations and Cumulus is able to distinguish between them, e.g. they are from different manufacturers, or both are serial port stations (different ports), or one is USB and one is serial, or one is a Weatherlink IP. In other words the  combination that does not work on a single PC is two USB stations from the same manufacturer. Note that Davis stations with USB loggers are serial port stations as far as Cumulus is concerned, so there are no problems using multiple copies of Cumulus with multiple Davis stations on the same PC.
  • It is possible to back up the Cumulus files from one installation running off a weather station, and briefly have another reduced functionality copy just looking at historic data without ever any updating (the second Cumulus is set up as if reading from an EasyWeather.dat file, but not given a path/file name) - see Easyweather.dat section here.[/l][/l]
Enjoy,
Paul
[/list]

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
The other stipulation to run multiple versions of CumulusMX is that you specify different IP port for each one's interface.

IE they can't all be running on port 8998.

Phil.

anything