Author Topic: Is it time to change software?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
Is it time to change software?
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
Being in the process of upgrading my 16 year old station to a new Davis Vantage Pro2 has also brought the need for another update in software.  I have been using Weatherview32 since version 4.  It has performed flawlessly and I have done some software upgrades over the years when it added new features. Since I will have to upgrade (PAY) to make my new station functional on the web, I am also thinking about switching to a different software package all together. 
(saw a poll somewhere as to who is using what)
In my opinion, based on what I have played with over the last 16 years, the heavy hitters are in no particular order:
Weather display
Virtual Weather station
Cumulus
Weather Link
Weatherview32
(Yes many others too but these are the ones I have used/tried)

As stated in many threads there are advantages/disadvantages to each of them.  As each vendor adds something to their package the others many times soon follow suit.  It must drive the authors of the software nuts to make most stations compatible with their software, and to keep up with the endless WANTS we all bug them for.  Been waiting for years for a simple pressure trend arrow.
For those of you who chime in on this, I am sure many newbies received new weather stations for the holidays, so better to explain "WHY" you went with the software you currently use.
I know most of the packages out there will produce a canned Personal WEB page for you.  Most will allow you to customize it how ever you would like.  Most will auto upload your data to WU, CWOP, APRS, and many more.

Right now I am leaning towards Cumulus.
My reasons being I like the display, it is easy on the eyes.  I am still playing with it, have not gone live on my personal web page.  I like a WEB Page that is clean and easy to navigate.  I like the home page to be a quick overview of the current weather conditions, with subsequent pages that delve deeper into radar, pressure fronts, severe weather etc.   I think I can do that with Cumulus once I learn my way around it better.  Cumulus like all the others has a users forum so help is easily at hand.

For new users or those in my boat looking for a change, consider the following:
1) What do you want the software to do for you? 
    Just provide a real time display on your computer, Upload data to several of the professional organizations, keep your personal WEB page updated.

2) Does it cost to upgrade when upgrades become available?
3) How well supported is the software, both by the author and the users?
4) Does it allow integration of other features/sensors like a WEB cam or lightning detector?
5) Up date intervals, does the software stream, or only do updates in minutes, or hours?
6) Does it allow for RECORDS of rain fall, Temperature, wind from your station or a close by METAR station?
7) Does it do DATA LOGGING?  You want to keep data from years of observations.
8) LOOK at the pages from other users, most of them, somewhere on there page will indicate what software package they are using.  Find the one that displays the information you would like to see/use for your own personal use, and add the information to your decision.

Ask around, shop around, most packages come with a trial version, to try before you buy.
(found a old version of virtual weather station on a 4" diskette, remember those)

As I said, if you chime in, please don't flame any vendor or package, PLEASE do explain why you went with the software you now use.
HAPPY NEW YEARS

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:37:17 AM by K8POS »
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
Re: Is it time to change software?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
I like "set it and forget it" software, that's why I use Cumulus.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
Good point! 
That's what I had with Weatherview32
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
The two I've used and can comment about are Cumulus and VWS.
VWS had issues with stability and froze occasionally, was also a resource hog the version I had. I wasn't pleased with the  average wind speeds it reported to CWOP. All it was doing is taking a current snapshot and didn't give an average speed. Called Ed about it and was told he had no plans of changing it, his answer was unsettling to me so went to Cumulus and been very happy. 
Cumulus is very stable. I know the development of Cumulus has many hundreds of hours and if issues arise they got fixed. Cumulus is not freeware, if you use it after a trial period I recommend a donation minimum of 60 dollars for the product and development.
WD I'm also intrigued with, it has some features that integrate with saratoga scripts I wish Cumulus had.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
Good topic.
I started with Cumulus in 2008 as it seemed easy to begin with for someone who had no knowledge/experience at all in weather stations, weather programs and websites.  I have continued with Cumulus as it does the things I think I want and continues to be user friendly and extremely stable.  There is support second to none by the developer on his forum, and it has had ongoing additions, fixes and improvements.  The new version will be to the liking of many who want to use other than Windows.  A new usage plan from donation ware to some form of pay system for the new version will be acceptable to some and not so much by others.  To me that has not been any factor in the past.
Paul

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
When I started looking for software a couple of years ago, I wanted something that would:
1.) Provide a nice presentation of real-time station data
2.) upload to a few sites like Wunderground and CWOP
3.) ideally it should be inexpensive or free

Since then I've added things to that list like Graphing and Datalogging.

I couldn't find anything that met my fancy so I decided to start writing my own. Hence the concept for Add-InWX was born.
You can check it out on this forum thread: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24359.0
Or the website: www.addinwx.net

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
I like "set it and forget it" software, that's why I use Cumulus.

That's why I use WUHU.  Simple, reliable, easy, free.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
I love Weather Display. Never really had any problems with it. At least nothing that couldn't be solved after 2 emails. WD is fun to use. I love all the interactive graphs and charts as well as the many other features.

Windows starts and WD immediately gets to work.

Brian of WD is accommodating. Some features I have asked for were provided in the companion add-on.

I've spoken to Ed with Ambient a couple times over the years. I'm not to impressed by him. I've found him to be a bit arrogant and rough around the edges. Not someone I personally would want to be a customer to.

Cumulus is nice. In my experience I've found no issues. Just prefer Weather Display's functionality.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline meteo-saint-brevin

• Senior Contributor
    • Météo Saint-Brevin
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
I started with Cumulus three years ago and I love it. Easy to understand for a beginner and very reliable. The Cumulus forum is the place I like to visit to learn more when comes every upgrade. And Steve, the software designer, is always there to provide a quick answer to every question. What else ?
Marcel Le Jeune F6DOW - Saint-Brevin-les-Pins - Pays de la Loire - France
www.meteo-saint-brevin.fr
Vantage Pro2 6163EU - VirtualVP, Cumulus, WeatherLink
Wifi cam Reolink RLC-410W - Blue Iris - Blue Iris tools

anything