Author Topic: WF doesn't save changes after Lock  (Read 5420 times)

Offline txlnghrnz

WF doesn't save changes after Lock
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:21:30 AM »
I'm sure this has something to do with permissions...but I thought I had them all.

The site I'm attempting to build is:  www.satxwx.com

Here's what I have 777'd:
Data Folder (including wflash.txt & wflash2.txt)
Scripts Folder (including all 4 asp files & all 4 php files)
Config Folder (including Page1.txt, User.txt & Units.txt)
in the public_html file:  Loader.swf, DataPod.swf, key.txt, site.txt and for good measure...weatherflash.htm

In VWS>Internet>WeatherFlash...I have the Server File Activate box checked...mapping to /public_html/Data

During set-up, I changed the 5th line of the site.txt file to PHP...Changed the names of the submit.php & .asp files (plus, made sure that my WF User ID was correctly inserted).  I also uploaded the "new" key.txt file, so the Unauthorized User message no longer flashes in RED.

OK...Now that's done.  I obviously had everything configured correctly "once", as I have a basic set-up on my WF page (http://www.satxwx.com/weatherflash.htm).  Now, however, when going in to make changes...they don't "stick" after clicking on LOCK. 

Actually, things often "disappear" from my display -- I upload the key.txt file that came with the trial software (giving me the flashing Unregistered message in red), which seems to reset all of my gauges.  I then upload my "paid" key.txt file and everything works well for a while (except for the main problem of not being able to edit the site).

Any thoughts on any of this?  Anything you've got will be appreciated...this has been a real learning experience for a web-novice.  I wish I had tried to get this thing up and running while the other forum was up...I understand there was a wealth of knowledge!

Matthew
San Antonio
www.satxwx.com

Just found this message in my ftp error log (where UN represents my log-in name): 
[Fri Oct 17 02:26:52 2008] [error] [client 205.188.117.8] File does not exist: /home/UN/public_html/Data/wflash.txt, referer: http://satxwx.com/DataPod.swf
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:37:11 AM by txlnghrnz »

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
Re: WF doesn't save changes after Lock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
Matthew,

It seems to me that everything is set up correctly.  The fact that your data is live indicates that VWS is set up right.

I'm not sure whether you are using PHP or ASP.  If you are using PHP then you should be able to delete all the ASP files on the server.  They are unnecessary.

Who is your host?  Have they changed anything.  What version of PHP is your host using?  This problem is usually a permission problem, but you obviously had it working at one time.  That's why I suspect a change to the server.  Did you make any changes to the directory structure?

I'm not sure I helped, but maybe a good start.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »
Matthew:

I think part of the problem is that you created the folder with name Scripts (upper case S). You should probably change the folder's name to scripts (lower case s).

(I can see in your site.txt file you are correctly using scripts:

Code: [Select]
ConfigFolder=Config
&ConfigfileSuffix=txt
&DataFolder=Data
&ScriptsFolder=scripts   <<--- this is correct
&ScriptsSuffix=php
&KeyfileSuffix=txt
&SiteURL=
&Town=

Leave that as it is.)

Also, in VWS > Internet > WeatherFlash, Active Server Page should point to the submit.php file on your server. You might try something like:

Code: [Select]
http://www.satxwx.com/scripts/submit.php?
Regards,

Kevin...

EDIT:  Deleted extraneous word.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:46:14 PM by WeatherBeacon »
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline txlnghrnz

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
OK...Double checked everything.  Thanks for your help!

• The "S" in scripts is lower case (just wasn't in my original post)
  • Using SpliceHost -- PHP version #5.2.6
  • VWS > Internet > WeatherFlash...I had "http://www.satxwx.com/scripts/submit.php?" under the Active Server Page box.  Also, now have all 3 boxes checked in that window.
It is looking more and more like a server issue.  But, thanks for your help.  I'll post back if they reveal anything noteworthy!

Matthew

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:11 PM »
Matthew,

I think I've got it figured out.  You seem to be using the scripts for PHP4.  They won't work with PHP5.  There is a post on the changes to the scripts that need to be made.

Try here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2061.0

Look down about 6 posts and you will find the changes that need to be made.  I worked with Ken on this one.

Jay
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:25:17 PM by jay_hoehn »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline txlnghrnz

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:42:17 PM »
Matthew,

I think I've got it figured out.  You seem to be using the scripts for PHP4.  They won't work with PHP5.  There is a post on the changes to the scripts that need to be made.

Try here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2061.0

Look down about 6 posts and you will find the changes that need to be made.  I worked with Ken on this one.

Jay

Thanks, Jay...

I did have the 4.0 scripts installed, so I made the changes that you referred to.  Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same odd behavior. 

I have a support ticket into my web-host, so hopefuly they'll be able to diagnose what's going on.  It's odd that I was able to configure WF, change u/n & p/w, etc., but now I can't. 

...my head hurts...AGAIN! I did find a strange file in the Data folder:  .pureftpd-upload.48ed603d.15.3c58.60ac5dr2  Is this something that my host dropped in there -- or is it a WF file that is created? Can you web experts tell this novice what it is for?

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:52:59 PM by txlnghrnz »

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
Matthew,

This file is a file that was probably partially uploaded and didn't get finished.  Are you trying to FTP your WF?  You shouldn't be doing that with the PHP.  Make sure in VWS that you have nothing being FTP'd to your WF directory, it could be that FTPs are interfering  with the WF operation.   Are you sure you made all the corrections to the scripts?  Good Luck,

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline txlnghrnz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »
Matthew,

This file is a file that was probably partially uploaded and didn't get finished.  Are you trying to FTP your WF?  You shouldn't be doing that with the PHP.  Make sure in VWS that you have nothing being FTP'd to your WF directory, it could be that FTPs are interfering  with the WF operation.   Are you sure you made all the corrections to the scripts?  Good Luck,

Jay

Thanks for your help, Jay...

I switched everything over to ASP, since I was using FTP on the WF.  Still nada... Of course, the web host claims no changes -- so I think I'm going to wave the white flag on this one for a while.

At least I have it working "part time" and I'm happy the way it all looks (for now!)  Thanks again guys for all of your help.

Matthew (@satxwx.com)