Author Topic: What MAC software can I run as a service  (Read 2594 times)

Offline MRevitt

• Cougar MR1
What MAC software can I run as a service
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
I recently purchased a Davis Vantage Vue, which I am very happy with, but the DavisLink software is somewhat underwhelming so I am looking for something better.

I run my own WEB server and Mail server from my iMac at home which runs 24x7 on a UPS but everyone in the family uses the same server, as a result of which I am often logged off.

So what I need is some software that can update my weather web site without the need for me to be logged on, the web site by the way is just another directory on the server http://www.cougar.eu.com/DavisWeather/Current_Monitor.htm

I have had responses from both Weather Snoop and Weather Station who inform me that their software doesn't but am hopeful that someone has found something.

Failing that which software works most reliably when running in the background, I have fast user switching enabled so could use that, but the Davis WeatherLink software normally crashes when I do that.

Mike

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: What MAC software can I run as a service
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
Assuming you're running OS X, you should have no problem running processes in the background.

I guess I'm confused as to why you are worried about getting logged off.  It shouldn't matter.  Or are they physically turning the machine off?

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »
Hi Mike, and welcome to the WXForum,

Similar questions have come up over on the WeatherCat forum, although related to personal Macs, and not servers. According to the developer, the Mac OS is the cupric, not the weather application. If an individual is not logged in, a process can not happen in the background. The case I remember was a shared family computer where the husband, wife , and kid(s) each had their own login and used fast-switching to change accounts. The account that WeatherCat was running on had to be the logged in account to receive data from the weather station and send data to a web site.

Now, I don't know if this applies to a server account that is not logged in, but I would suspect it is the case. Pop over to the WeatherCat forum and ask WCDev, as he's active daily (although in the UK, so timing may be delayed a bit.) http://athena.trixology.com/index.php

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
I know nothing of how WeatherCat is built, but running processes in the background is pretty standard fare under Unix-like systems such as OS X.  I've never heard of anyone ever saying OS X was hobbled in some way that it always required a user to be logged in, so I've got to think the problem is more one of program architecture.

There's also no architectural difference between normal OSX and the "server" version, other than some software tools.  I'm not sure a "server" version is even still sold.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
I just searched the WeatherCat forum for my example, and couldn't find anything. I *did* find where a user wanted WeatherCat to run from a fresh boot where no user was logged in. Stu (WCDev) said WeatherCat stores all its files in the User's home directory, so a user has to be logged in for it to work. So maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline MRevitt

• Cougar MR1
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
Thank you for all the replies, and as pointed out already running serves in the background is common and standard on a MAC.

My server runs 24x7 on a UPS, but normally with none logged on.

The reason I use the server edition is to make use of the eMail and WEB services which all run unattended. i also use iStat so I can remotely monitor the server which also runs unattended.

I user fast user switching, and am happy to use that if necessary, but the Davis WeatherLink software doesn't even work when I switch to another user.

We only have 1 PC in the house and everyone uses it and logs off when they have finished so having some weather logging software running as a service is the best solution for me.

As already mentioned I have had responses from both Weather Snoop and Weather Station, but still waiting for a response from WeatherCat.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:30 AM »
I guess I'm still confused as to exactly what the issue is or else we're having some kind of language barrier.

Anyway, try something like weewx, and run it under its own user ID.  There's no user gui component to get in the way or otherwise confuse issues.  You might not even need to run it under its on user ID... just start it up with launchd.

http://www.weewx.com

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:53:00 AM by nincehelser »

Offline MRevitt

• Cougar MR1
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:00:13 AM »
Language barrier I suspect.

I am normally logged off of my MAC, but the MAC is normally running.

All software I have found to date stops as soon as I log off.

Being able to run something with launched is exactly what I want

But I also want that software to create the graphs, websites, etc much link Weather Snoop, Weather Cat etc.

i will have a look at weewx though thanks

anything