Author Topic: Acurite weather alert radio  (Read 44083 times)

Offline ThePontificator

Re: Acurite weather alert radio
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
The camouflage pattern Acu-Rite portable is currently on sale on Cabela's website for $19.88

Offline jimform2k1

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
Sorry to revive an old thread but...

I have a 8505 desktop radio and my lcd display has dead.  I can hear the radio and the display lights up blue but can see no text.

When I remove the batteries and push the reset button on the bottom, the display text becomes visible but flashes on/off a few times and then text is no longer displayed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Offline PugetSoundStormWatch

• Your Western Washington Weather Enthusiast!
    • PSSW Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread but...

I have a 8505 desktop radio and my lcd display has dead.  I can hear the radio and the display lights up blue but can see no text.

When I remove the batteries and push the reset button on the bottom, the display text becomes visible but flashes on/off a few times and then text is no longer displayed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

I experienced a similar problem with my first Sangean CL-100 radio. I bought it refurbished. When I first plugged it in, it worked fine. Within a couple minutes, the LCD display began to flash. Within an hour, the display was dead. The backlight still lit up, and all other functions were normal.

I returned it for a new one shortly after that. There was no way for me to revive it.
-Stations: LaCrosse C84612, Ambient Weather Caddie
-Software: HeavyWeather WS-2800

-PSSW on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Puget-Sound-Storm-Watch/335687419886238?ref=hl
-YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiltonWATech99

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
Update:

Still using my Acurite radio but still don't like it.

Volume defaulting to highest setting when warnings are issued is a NO GO with me.

Radio will no longer clear itself when issued products expire.  For example, the Severe Thunderstorm Watch that is displayed on my radio right now will still be displayed and the light will still be on six months from now unless another watch/warning is issued.

Still don't understand why they don't go the extra mile to display frequency like other radios so that you can find the tower you NEED to get warnings.

I sent an email to Acurite this morning.  I'm going to replace the radio soon but I need to know if these issues have been resolved first.

"I have an Acurite handheld weather radio that I bought a couple of years ago.  I've owned several weather radios in the past and I'm a meteorologist and I have an amateur radio license as well so I'm very familiar with them.  This particular Acurite radio drives me insane.  Any time a warning is issued by the local NWS office, this radio defaults to the highest possible volume setting.  Regardless of where I set the volume myself, it will go back to max volume upon receiving a warning.

I understand that the idea of a weather radio is to alert people to dangerous weather and wake those people up if they are asleep.  But causing people to go into cardiac arrest isn't much better.  I have moved the weather radio out of our bedroom and into another room in the house to avoid being scared to death in the middle of the night and now it's almost defeating the purpose of owning it.

I'm considering getting rid of this one and buying another radio for my home.  My question is...do ALL Acurite brand weather radios have this "feature" in them?  Or should I go back to the Midland brand?  I don't mind paying a little more to avoid this annoying feature if I have to."
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
Finally got a response from Chaney Instrument Co....

"Hi Shawn,

Thank you for contacting us here at AcuRite, I am happy to assist you.  All of our NOAA radios operate the same way with the volume control.  Once you put the unit in Silent mode to only here the Warnings, it will automatically disable the volume control to ensure that the user will here the warning when it does sound.  There isn't a way to control that on these units.  Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Have a great day,
_________"

So basically this means I'll never buy another Acurite radio again.  That's too bad...

Guess I'll pick up a Midland 300 or something so I can move the radio back to my bedroom.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU