Author Topic: PC Connect vs. SmartHUB  (Read 2366 times)

Offline joehewes

PC Connect vs. SmartHUB
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Hello all,

New to the forums, glad to be here.

I have a new AcuRite weather station (06014 5-in-1 Pro+ sensor with 06037M display with PC connect).

I would like to be a part of the Weather Underground PWS network. I can get a hold of a used PC for $100 or so, in order to provide PC Connect. For $80 I can get a Smart HUB.

I already have a spare monitor. What are the pros and cons of each method? Seems with a PC I can use that to display other things such as maps and web sites etc., and manage my device and account.

My primary computer is my laptop.

Any advice and counsel appreciated.

Regards,

Joe
Freehold NJ

Offline buckizard

Re: PC Connect vs. SmartHUB
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
I can only speak for the PC Connect, which I have, and have had no problems at all with it.  reading the Acurite forums, the Hubs have been creating a lot of issues right now as they migrate something on their servers. 

For WU, your PC will need to be on all the time.

I have an Acurite display, which is always showing my data, even when using my computer for other things.  If you are going to get a computer for only weather, it could probably serve as a display all the time as well.

Hope this helped some. Good luck!
Ambient Weather Osprey

Offline joehewes

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the PC would  be on all the time, as its primary function would be to dish out to WU. It would be connected to a monitor, so I could use it to vie the Wundermap, my own display, and amange the device through the Acurite software.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
Don't rule out MeteoBridge.  The cost is about $70, and you will need a cheap DIR-505 router ($20) and small USB hub (~$5) to serve as a protocol converter.  The net result will allow you to post to more than just Weather Underground, and you can completely avoid Acu-Rite's web site if you want to.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline joegr

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
Don't rule out MeteoBridge.  The cost is about $70, and you will need a cheap DIR-505 router ($20) and small USB hub (~$5) to serve as a protocol converter.  The net result will allow you to post to more than just Weather Underground, and you can completely avoid Acu-Rite's web site if you want to.....

Or, perhaps you should rule that out.  I have that display, and I tried for some time to get it to work with Meteobridge.  I could never get it to be reliable.  In particular, it randomly reported rainfall when there was none, and also would sometimes give some crazy temperatures.  I don't blame Meteobridge too much, as this particular display is not listed as supported.
I went back to the hub with Meteobridge.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »
I use a smartHUB + Meteobridge.  I've been using the MB for over 2 years and it's been flawless.