Author Topic: WS-2810U-IT Wind Sensor TX‐56U‐IT died  (Read 2254 times)

Offline LaytonsvilleLloyd

WS-2810U-IT Wind Sensor TX‐56U‐IT died
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:30:09 AM »
Three weeks after mounting my TX‐56U‐IT I stopped getting readings, with the last reading at 2:30pm on a sunny day.  Days later I climbed up to the roof and attempted to reset it.  The act of getting to it caused the mounting pole to move and water started coming out of the weep holes. I then took it down and encountered more water coming out of it.  Opening up in accordance with other posts (I didn't lose anything =D&gt;), I found that the inside was really wet with water sloshing around in it (to the extent that water was between the solar array and the glass, and on both the top and bottom of the circuit board).  I then proceeded to dry everything.  I noticed corrosion from one side of the battery leads.  Each of the batteries were registering <1.0Vdc under load.  So I now know why I lost communication with the unit. 

The solar array puts out ~2.75 volts with the batteries removed.  After 4 hours under a 60 Watt incandescent lamp, the solar array has only charged the batteries from 1.99V to 2.10V.

Is the solar array putting out the correct voltage?  Does it sound like I will need to replace the batteries?  Should I just call La Crosse and have them replace the unit under warranty, or have I voided the warranty by taking it apart (I will be able to put it completely back together.)?

I could not find the source of the leak though.  Has anyone encountered this type of problem where it appears that rain has leaked into the Wind Sensor?  If so, where is it most likely leaking?  and how can I seal up the leak?
Or am I just blessed with a defective wind sensor that should be replaced under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:32:47 AM by LaytonsvilleLloyd »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2810U-IT Wind Sensor TX‐56U‐IT died
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
I'd go for the warranty replacement if I were you. I've had mine running since Dec. 09 and have been through that as well. The leaking is most likely from around the solar panel edges. I developed a leak and ran a small trace of clear silicone in the crevice where the panel meets the case. If/when you get a new replacement maybe it would be a good idea to do this to it before putting it up. Be careful not to smear any over the panel's grid area. If you decide to keep your present one be sure to get all the corrosion removed and put a coating over the solder joints to protect it from returning. Be sure the coat only the battery/power area and stay away from the black potted circuitry areas.
 Running tests, I found that mine would stop transmitting when the battery voltage got down to around 2.45v so your may have a little more recharging to go. It's a good idea to run a small bead of grease along the rubber seal that connects the top and bottom halves too. Good luck with either way you go.