Author Topic: "unable to create backup log file"  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Erik

• My weather station
"unable to create backup log file"
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
Hello-
I have been running weatherlink for years with no problems.  Just about a month ago I started getting the "unable to create backup log file error".  I have my station uploading every 5 minutes, sometimes it will run for an hour before giving me the error, sometimes it will give me the error right away.  When I get the error, it stops uploading until you click the OK button.  Very frustrating.  My computer is running XP and I have tried turning off all Norton security stuff and still get the same error.  I tried turning off the windows firewall and still get the same error.  This occurs with WL 5.4, so I upgraded to 5.8 and still get the same problem.  I am on the verge of reformatting my hard drive, but thought I would give you guys a shout out and see if anyone might have any suggestions before I nuke my hard drive.  This drives me crazy because it has worked flawlessly for years then all of a sudden, without my changing anything, it has been acting up.  Thanks for any help..............

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: "unable to create backup log file"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
I am guessing that it is having trouble with the "download.log" file, since that is the only log file I am seeing in my WeatherLink directory.  You might want to take a look at that file.  Maybe it can only get so big or something.  What you might want to try is renaming that log file to something like download-old.log.  I am guessing that when WeatherLink wants to write to the log, it will create a new download.log file and possible fix your problem.

Offline Erik

• My weather station
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
Good Idea, the contents of my download.log file as this-

01/02/09  2:36p (Erik's Home Base) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  partially completed. See error messages below.
 01/02/09  2:36p (CopyFile) Error (32) copying file "C:\WEATHERLINK 54\ERIKSHOM\downld02.txt" to location"c:\WeatherLink 54\ERIKSHOM\downld02.txt".
 01/02/09  2:36p  Error Connecting to the FTP server (87).
 01/02/09  2:36p (Erik's Home Base) Successfully uploaded Weather Underground.
 01/02/09  2:36p (Erik's Home Base) Successfully uploaded APRS.
 01/02/09  2:36p (Erik's Home Base) Error creating Air Density image. Check Sensors.
 01/02/09  2:36p Downloaded Erik's Home Base ok.
 01/02/09  2:34p (Erik's Home Base) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  partially completed. See error messages below.
 01/02/09  2:34p (CopyFile) Error (32) copying file "C:\WEATHERLINK 54\ERIKSHOM\downld02.txt" to location"c:\WeatherLink 54\ERIKSHOM\downld02.txt".
 01/02/09  2:34p  Error Connecting to the FTP server (87).

seems to be having trouble with the 2 day archive file, i have disabled it and will see what happens.

Offline Erik

• My weather station
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »
Well, that didn't fix it either.  I have now unchecked all boxes except the wunderground and APRS report.  Well see what happens.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:11:03 AM »
I don't know about your file problem, but I did reformat the hard drive on my desktop Thursday.   ](*,)  I got it done and things are mostly restored, but it is a chore and should be a last resort (I could have used reformatting for dummies!).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Erik

• My weather station
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »
Well, I think I found the culprit.  I unchecked the upload to APRS box and now all is good. 
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCOGUNNI1
now that I have isolated the problem, i just need to figure out what settings will work.

Currently my telnet settings are:
Call Sign: CWxxxx
APRS IS Server: cwop.aprs.net
Port: 14580
Pass: -1 VERS WL 5.4

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong??

Thanks for the input.