Author Topic: "WeatherLink tried to open a com port that doesn't exist"  (Read 5383 times)

Offline tommyr

"WeatherLink tried to open a com port that doesn't exist"
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
  Hi gang,
     I get this after I notice the main window with the data graphs disappears. I click to restart the graphs but get that message. Windows 7, com 3.

Only way to fix is to reboot the PC, then it works again. PITA. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Tom

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: "WeatherLink tried to open a com port that doesn't exist"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »
Not enough info.
I have never seen an error message that just said windows7, com3

Are you running in USB or serial mode?

What com port is WL assigned?

Is there any other program or device assigned to com 3?

My first thought is that some other device or program is trying to access the same com port that WL is using

Offline tommyr

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
Not enough info.
I have never seen an error message that just said windows7, com3

Are you running in USB or serial mode?

What com port is WL assigned?

Is there any other program or device assigned to com 3?

My first thought is that some other device or program is trying to access the same com port that WL is using

It didn't say Windows 7, com 3, I was just adding more info on what I was running it on.

USB, it's assigned com 3. No other program AFAIK is on com 3. No other device running at the time. Weird.....

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
No other weather software running?

"I get this after I notice the main window with the data graphs disappears. "

Not sure I understand.  Could you please tell us exactly, step-by-step, what is happening?  Conditions when it's working correctly, what you do, etc. etc.  What you "click to restart the graphs", ?

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
It almost sounds like you're trying to open another (second) instance of WL itself, and it's looking for a COM port that's already in use by a previous one that is still running.

I get a slightly different message on windowsXP when attempting to open a second WL.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:21:40 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Ranger4

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:22 AM »
Have you tried getting the WL "Walk through" program to find the COM port using the "auto find" after selecting the serial option. I found my version of Windows 7 actually selected COM port 6. Often there are other items on the computer that may have your COM port 3 reserved, even though this does appear when checking port settings in Device Manager.
The fact that WL grabs the port when you reboot but will not get it back seems to indicate that, so try using the auto setting or manually try another COM port number.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:17:05 AM by Ranger4 »
Wireless Davis VP2 Plus & 24hr FARS.
6332 anemometer transmitter.
Extra 6312 VP2 console. Both consoles, firmware v3.12
Weatherlink v6.0.3
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
Queensland, Australia.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
When you see the error message, have you tried looking at Windows Device Manager to see if the COM port is still active? It could be that you're encountering the USB port dropout problem and the expected port is no longer available.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline tommyr

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
When you see the error message, have you tried looking at Windows Device Manager to see if the COM port is still active? It could be that you're encountering the USB port dropout problem and the expected port is no longer available.

I think that may be what's happening. Next time I lose it I'll check that.

For the other posters, No other weather software running. What I meant by the graphs is the "start the weather bulletin" button that shows all the graphs. THAT window disappears for some reason. Then when I go to click the "start weather bulletin" button again I get that com port message.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
I do not know what causes the problem but I would bet it is the USB drivers.  There is no reason to use those at all.

If it were me I would go here and read page 14 and 15 and uninstall the usb drivers and run the console in the serial mode.   

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

You do not have to run the logger in the USB mode it will run in serial mode and thousands of people run it that way.

I would bet that most of the people on this board with Davis systems run them in the serial mode.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
     I get this after I notice the main window with the data graphs disappears. I click to restart the graphs but get that message. Windows 7, com 3.

Well, that wasn't much of a complete description.  Let's try some simple questions:

1.  What version of WeatherLink?
2.  What sort of computer?
3.  Are you just using the cable that came with WeatherLink?  Or an extension?
4.  Is the console powered with the AC adapter in addition to the battery?
5.  Does the "window" disappear while you are doing other things on the computer?  Or does it disappear when you are away from the computer for a while, and you notice it when you come back?

Perhaps the most important question is #5.

Offline tommyr

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »

Well, that wasn't much of a complete description.  Let's try some simple questions:

1.  What version of WeatherLink?
2.  What sort of computer?
3.  Are you just using the cable that came with WeatherLink?  Or an extension?
4.  Is the console powered with the AC adapter in addition to the battery?
5.  Does the "window" disappear while you are doing other things on the computer?  Or does it disappear when you are away from the computer for a while, and you notice it when you come back?

Perhaps the most important question is #5.

Version 6.0.0

HP dv6-6110us, 4mb RAM

Original Weatherlink cable plugged into a 4 port hub.

AC and battery power.

Could be both/either. I minimize the program and bring it up once in a while to check it and notice the bulletin window is gone. Try to click the weather bulletin button and get the error message.

I quit the program. Restart it but still get the error message.

A computer restart fixes the problem.

Tom

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
I don't know what effect the hub has on usb ports.   But unless you turned it off windows will put the usb port to sleep after a given time.   I would go to device manager and disable this function to see if it fixes the problem.    If windows shuts down the usb port and you try to turn it back on it would probably show the com port error.

You will have to do it for all of the usb hubs.

Offline tommyr

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
I don't know what effect the hub has on usb ports.   But unless you turned it off windows will put the usb port to sleep after a given time.   I would go to device manager and disable this function to see if it fixes the problem.    If windows shuts down the usb port and you try to turn it back on it would probably show the com port error.

You will have to do it for all of the usb hubs.

Oh didn't see that! I just turn that off so THANKS for that idea! I'll see if that works, seems to me it may.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
Your computer has 4 USB ports.  If possible, it would be wise to plug the Davis cable directly into one of those, rather than into a hub. 

Please let us know how things go.

Offline tommyr

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
Your computer has 4 USB ports.  If possible, it would be wise to plug the Davis cable directly into one of those, rather than into a hub. 

Please let us know how things go.

Just now noticed it dropped out again. Unplugged it from the hub, plugged it into a free port on the machine. clicked the bulletin button and bingo! Back in action! So far so good. Thank you guys for assisting me, I really appreciate it. Will keep advised.....

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »
It sounds like port dropout - check for interference nearby, try running console on batteries only (ie unplug mains adapter) etc
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
It sounds like port dropout - check for interference nearby, try running console on batteries only (ie unplug mains adapter) etc

Could well be - but it also may be that just using a regular port (instead of the hub) and setting the power settings to not turn off the USB power, will fix it.