Author Topic: Upcoming Birthdays  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Upcoming Birthdays
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
Nice to see how young I am on the forum  \:D/ \:D/

Kind of wish I didn't live in this garbage generation though  ;)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Upcoming Birthdays
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
Enjoy your generation. Just think, you'll be able to tell your kids and grand-kids how rough and tough life was back in the '00s like we did back in the 40's and 50's...  :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:19:48 AM »
Enjoy your generation. Just think, you'll be able to tell your kids and grand-kids how rough and tough life was back in the '00s like we did back in the 40's and 50's...  :lol:

So true.  Hell life was rough in the 80's compared to today. That's as far back as I know.  :-)

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 05:22:14 AM »
The problem is that people will always say how "their generation did XYZ" and how their life was harder etc etc.

For example I agree that in many perspectives, life 50 yrs ago was harder, they will tell you that you had much more manual work etc. But you could argue that these days we have far more stress with deadlines, the fact that we have internet for example means people often work even when on holidays, lot of people are 24/7 on their phone even for business purposes etc etc. And yes, you might not have to have that much manual skills, but did people 50 yrs ago have to know how to use a computer? Work with documents, spreadsheets etc? ... and without these skills you basically can do almost no job at all...

One thing I dont like is when older people say "you sit in front of the computer for so long, when I was young we didnt have any computers and we were quite happy".... thats what my grandma always said... and my reply was always the same: "yes, but if computers existed back then, you would have sit in front of it too"... and I am sure that in 30 yrs the future generations will wonder how on earth could we live without...... the problem is that if you dont know something could even exist, you dont miss it.

I remember one study, during which they lent mobile phones to some kids in Africa. But these phones of course didnt last very long because they had only a few and also the conditions there are quite rough. So after a few weeks all the phones in the village were broken. And only then did the kids began to miss the phone, wanted one etc.

So this generation comparison is always tricky and relative. There are aspects which are easier as well as harder.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
Yes!  In the late 60's (yep, I'm that old), while working at the Univ. Calif. Davis campus radio station KDVS, we got to see (and interview):
The Animals, Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Simon and Garfunkel, Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary among others.  No wonder my music taste
is kinda stuck with classical and "classic rock"
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
I was born in the 60's and I gravitate to classic rock more than anything else as well.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
Yes!  In the late 60's (yep, I'm that old), while working at the Univ. Calif. Davis campus radio station KDVS, we got to see (and interview):
The Animals, Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Simon and Garfunkel, Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary among others.  No wonder my music taste
Everybody says they grew up with the best music ever, the only difference is, we did.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »

Yeah but do you still have blacklight posters and lava lamps?   8-)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
Yeah, I worked Commercial in mid 60s  ... back when DJs cued records, wore out the first 2 grooves... you wouldn't believe the collection of promo 45s I have with the 1st 2 seconds hashed... sigh... those were the good old days...  Remember when the vinyl was optimized for AM?  These remixes and digitization no way sound like what we worked with.  Remember when Dick Biondi, WLS Chicago, kept getting fired?   I remember well the last time, Bob Hale, the Drive Time jock, had to segue into Dick's slot, with all the lame reasons Dick wasn't on air that evening...   got canned and rehired myself about 3 times... some of the songs were so suggestive... an inappropriate intro or voice over was bound to escape ...
aaahhhhhh.... but what damn fun!  Never knew when some "in transit" artist or group would drop in, with a bottle, and sit around with you... sigh... .

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »

Me too, but I can't remember seeing them.
Although, I'm told I had a good time :grin:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »

With your Browns logo, did you grow up in the Cleveland area as I did in the 70's and worship WMMS?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »

With your Browns logo, did you grow up in the Cleveland area as I did in the 70's and worship WMMS?
Yep. Long live the Buzzard. :-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »

Yep. Long live the Buzzard. :-)
=D>

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »

Yeah but do you still have blacklight posters and lava lamps?   8-)
Ummm... yes :)  Although, technically, the lava lamp is at my son's house and the posters (the Escher spheres, especially) are in the garage.  Doesn't match our current (sedate) decor.  Also, the home-built color organ is in the garage -- it was great with Switched On Bach and the Doors or Jefferson Airplane albums.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 01:53:21 AM »

Yep... Back when "smoking" 8-) was allowed and there weren't ushers everywhere checking your seating. We used to get the cheapest tickets up in the nosebleed section, then spend the first 1/2 hour of the concert finding great empty seats up front. First concert was the Kinks, then saw Pink Floyd, The Stones, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple, Blondie, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, and many others. I saw the Stones in 81 when all the classic bands were breaking up or dieing off. Everyone thought it may be the last tour they did. I believe it was the last concert at the old JFK stadium in Philly before they tour it down. Ah... The music we threw grew up to.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
I saw the Stones in 81 when all the classic bands were breaking up or dieing off. Everyone thought it may be the last tour they did. I believe it was the last concert at the old JFK stadium in Philly before they tour it down.
My best recollection of a concert was in 1965, April 26 (which is my wife's birthday but I didn't know her then), featuring the Rolling Stones but only recall 3 of their songs and then the riot broke out.  We were on the front row separated by used 3' high snow fence to the stage and needless to say that didn't last very long - what were they thinking!?!  Then the real fun began http://www.lfpress.com/2015/04/24/rolling-stones-london-concert-was-cut-short-50-years-ago-sunday
I am not in that video but still have my souvenir album, and my mother burned the policeman's hat that I brought home that night 'in fear of a visit by the law', and memories...  The local Top 40 radio station DJ, Dick Williams, had a contest and free tickets to the persons who brought in the largest and oddest stones.  Being good old farm boys we had the means of loading up the '63 Ford pickup with a 30" rock from the fields and hauled that up to the DJs remote studio and won 4 tickets on my birthday :D

Paul

EDIT: sorry for the ad in the video...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:52:37 AM by PaulMy »

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
The problem is that people will always say how "their generation did XYZ" and how their life was harder etc etc.

For example I agree that in many perspectives, life 50 yrs ago was harder, they will tell you that you had much more manual work etc. But you could argue that these days we have far more stress with deadlines, the fact that we have internet for example means people often work even when on holidays, lot of people are 24/7 on their phone even for business purposes etc etc. And yes, you might not have to have that much manual skills, but did people 50 yrs ago have to know how to use a computer? Work with documents, spreadsheets etc? ... and without these skills you basically can do almost no job at all...

One thing I dont like is when older people say "you sit in front of the computer for so long, when I was young we didnt have any computers and we were quite happy".... thats what my grandma always said... and my reply was always the same: "yes, but if computers existed back then, you would have sit in front of it too"... and I am sure that in 30 yrs the future generations will wonder how on earth could we live without...... the problem is that if you dont know something could even exist, you dont miss it.

I remember one study, during which they lent mobile phones to some kids in Africa. But these phones of course didnt last very long because they had only a few and also the conditions there are quite rough. So after a few weeks all the phones in the village were broken. And only then did the kids began to miss the phone, wanted one etc.

So this generation comparison is always tricky and relative. There are aspects which are easier as well as harder.

I think this is well said. I still do a lot of manual labor because I don't have central heat in my house, so I chop a LOT of firewood  8-) I don't think any generation is the greatest - We all have lived during times where we used what was given. However, from a morality standpoint, I am disgusted by some of the rude things seen on the television, movie theaters, etc. How can we have kids that have good morality when their 'role models' like Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and others are talking sex, drugs, and shooting people (They are NOT my role models)?
Joe Fitzwater

Offline PamG1

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
I was born in 63.  Too young then too care at the time for bands. Now I consider myself as a old teenager and loving music.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
I was born in very late 80´s and I listen to everything from DJ Tiesto to classics :D

When Im biking I usually listen to dance, electronic and similar. When Im working I usually listen to the radio (news, current music). When I really need to concentrate I listen to classics (yes, I mean classics - Beethoven, Dvorak etc. :D)

I like some of the current bands as well as the older ones (Queen and similar).

There is probably just one genre that I never listen to and that would be country.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

I think this is well said. I still do a lot of manual labor because I don't have central heat in my house, so I chop a LOT of firewood  8-) I don't think any generation is the greatest - We all have lived during times where we used what was given. However, from a morality standpoint, I am disgusted by some of the rude things seen on the television, movie theaters, etc. How can we have kids that have good morality when their 'role models' like Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and others are talking sex, drugs, and shooting people (They are NOT my role models)?
Sadly, civility and common courtesy are being phased out of our society.

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »
I will expect weather gifts on my birthday. For those of you with a short term memory I will be changing the date often.  :lol:
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »

Sadly, civility and common courtesy are being phased out of our society.

Yeah, it is alarming to me, but my generation doesn't seem to take notice about that. I mean even I occasionally listen to rap music at the gym (Though I listen to the old rock and old country artists the most), but you just can't let a song become a part of you in the manner that rap artists are manipulating society. Does anybody agree with me here?
Joe Fitzwater

anything