Author Topic: How 'good' is a VP2?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Delta5

How 'good' is a VP2?
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
To make a long story short, I've wanted a home weather station for many years but just never pulled the trigger.  I found a crazy deal ($<70) on a Lacrosse 2310, and bought it.  I've installed it, but I've had lots of problems with erroneous readings.  Since I spent so little on it, I went ahead and voided the warranty (not that it sounds like it would matter) and did all of the 'fixes' that I've read about online.  Some helped, some didn't, but in the end I'm left with a weather station that really doesn't work all that well.  And I'm a strong believer in that if you're going to do something (like put up a home weather station) that you need to do it well.  The 2310 just isn't working so well, and that irritates me.

I've always wanted a Davis.  Specifically the VP2.  The combination of wireless 2.5s updates, supposed high build quality, and the way the ISS looks/works is very appealing to me.  But I'm faced with a bit of sticker shock, as it's going to be $500+ to get the standard wireless system with the data logger (why is this part $100+, when it's just built-in to every other station?)  That's a lot of dough (for me) to just be able to say that the wind is currently blowing at 5.8mph and to have the humidity be 5% more accurate than the 2310. 

So my question for all of you VP2 owners is simple.  Is it worth it?  Why do you love your VP2 so much.  If it was struck by lightning and destroyed, would you buy another one?  Are they that much more accurate than a cheap station?  Reliable?  Sell me on a VP2.  I'm looking for both subjective and objective answers.

Thanks,
D5

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: How 'good' is a VP2?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
If price is your driving force ONLY then the Oregon Scientific WMR-968 is wireless but leaves a bit in the mounting and accuracy department. I had one and cussed the long cables and the fact that each sensor had it own transmitter. Some like it for that fact but I didn't. Also it transmits data less frequently than other systems. So you're bound to lose wind gusts or other quick data. Even though it has a built in serial port your console is tied to the pc unless you invest in another console.

Now if you are looking at accuracy and design...well the Vantage Pro 2 is the way to go. The accuracy and the design cant be beat. You can start like me with a very basic bare bones one and add on as you go. I bought just the ISS (the outdoor sensor system) from a vendor and an Envoy (receiver with no LCD) and the data logger. I view the weather on my PC. I saved a bit on the outlying purchased. I can turn the PC off because the data logger is not just an interface...it has memory in it. That is what the real difference is. Other serial connected weather stations need the PC on full time to keep from losing data. The VP2 stores it in the data logger memory\serial connector. Far better !!! I am adding on slowly...solar sensor is next and a console (LCD) so I can carry it around the house. Other weather stations are not as expandable.

If you are not looking at posting to the web. Just want a weather station to display whats happening outside and don't care if you loose data when the pc is off and don't mind about mounting multiple sensors and transmitters (not slamming it OS fans). The Oregon Scientific is a good way to get started and that is what all of here love to hear....someone who wants to get started. We don't care what you buy. However, if you want something more compact easier to take care of, better accuracy, more sensors, no loss of data when the PC is off...etc. Think about a VP2.

Now this was long but wanted you to see what someone short on bucks did (me)...got a VP2 and worked up from there. If you want to know where I bought everything, drop me a line. In the long run I am spending a bit more for the whole works but I didn't kill my savings by buying the full boat. I will have it all by next year.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
I am remiss in my duty as a first responder.........Welcome to one of the friendliest, most knowledgeable and well run forums for weather that you will ever find. Now ..... get ready for all the other opinions.....everyone here is willing to share it .... lol.

Offline Delta5

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info, garthbock!  I didn't put it in my profile, but nice to see a 'neighbor' here.  I live just a bit southwest from you, in Jacksonville, IL. 

I definitely want the ability to push data online.  I've already got my 2310 hooked up to an old laptop that's pushing data to WeatherUnderground (KILJACKS2) with WUHU, and that's all working well.  I'm just irritated by the frequent bad wind data that I'm getting from the 2310 and think that a higher quality station would solve the problem.  I've wasted hours of my life on the 2310 in running/replacing/re-running cables (telco vs Cat5), mounting & remounting the sensors, tinkering with ferrite clamps, etc.  I'm feeling like it's time to cut my losses and just go with a better system.

Like you, I have thought about going the route with the Envoy as well, because I almost don't need a display unit as I'm more concerned about having the data online than from the display unit only.  I am happy to flip open a notebook or fire up the iPhone to check on the weather at home, whether I'm sitting in my living room or from across the country.

I've looked at the 968 online (reviews & looked at the manual), and that does seem to be a much better unit than what I have.  At $200-$250, it's certainly more in the price range of what I'd like to spend, and it has a serial port built in.   The sensor mounting options are a bit more flexible than the VP2 as well, since they're all independent.  Though I want something that will last and be accurate, and that's where the VP2 seems to trump all of them.

And yes, I'm ready for the opinions.  Bring 'em on!   :grin:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Background... Had a weather station since the 80s. Been posting data to my website since '98. Had a Digitar station first, then a Davis WM II, and now a VP2 Plus. Member of 20 weather forums (well, 15 or 16 are the regional weather network forums). Been running VWS since 2001 at least. Also running WD.

After all that exposure and experience, I can safely say that, when it comes to personal weather stations, you truly get what you pay for. Davis stations are priced higher than OS or LaCrosse, they are made better, they have quicker update times, and Davis tech support is stellar. If you are serious about weather, get a Davis.

I can certainly understand the perception that Davis products are overpriced. However, they are built better, and when they do need repair or support, you will talk directly to a tech in Hayward CA, and they always have parts for current products in stock.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
I definitely want the ability to push data online.  I've already got my 2310 hooked up to an old laptop that's pushing data to WeatherUnderground (KILJACKS2) with WUHU, and that's all working well.
Don't forget PWSweather.com !  ;)

I bought my first Davis Weather Monitor II in 1999.  It's still in service in Lincoln, CA at the home of a friend I gave it to.  I have another WMII which was part of a mobile weather station for years and worked when I put it in storage a few years ago.  In January 2006 I bought a VP2+ for my new location.  Other than when I had to change the batteries on the ISS, it has run non-stop since it first saw the sun in February 2006.

While my experience with Davis tech support hasn't been perfect, I haven't had to deal with them when it comes to failures in the equipment.  The units just work.  So I'll keep buying Davis stations just because it's one less think I have to think about being a problem.  :D
Joe Torsitano

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
I bought my VP2 in Feb. 2006.  It has been reporting flawlessly ever since.  If it were struck with lightning, I would replace it in a heartbeat.  I feel that it if I can't trust the data I am looking at, why bother.  To me, spending $250 on a weather station with untrustworthy data is more expensive than spending $500 on a station that has accurate data.  Years ago when I first bought my home, I bought a lot of cheap Craftsman tools.  A year later I had to replace them all.  I bought cheap ones again.... #-o, then suddenly it dawned on me that the "cheapest" tool sometimes can be the most expensive on the market.  After replacing my second set of power tools a year later, I bought my Milwaukee circular saw, Makita power drill and palm sander.  They are still in my shop today.... 28 years later and working just fine.  It may take a few more months to save up for a Davis, but I think it's worth it.

I have installed 3 more VP2's at our businesses and had no problems.  I have recommended and helped three more people install home systems and have yet to have a problem.   Plus, I hear their customer service is great.... I just have had no personal experience because I haven't had to use it.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
I've had my VP2 since 2005. I've never had the slightest regret for buying it. I'm perfectly satisfied. Yes, it would be better if it was only, say, $200, but were it to get zapped, I'm pretty sure I would replace it with another VP2. I have thought about getting a second station though. I like the looks of the Honeywell station as a backup, and to get the UV readings. The whole Honeywell station (including UV) is about the same price as the Davis UV sensor all by itself (in fact, if I remember correctly, it's a little cheaper).

Steve
SoftWx

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
By all means, the VP is the way to go. Placed mine into service January 2004 and haven't had a single problem with it all. It just works, day in and day out. You really do get what you pay for.

On a side note, if you plan on getting the UV & solar sensors down the road, you will save yourself a lot of cash if you just buy the Plus version to begin with. Just buy the whole ball of wax and be done with it.

As for replacing it if it got toasted, by l means, without a doubt. It would be ordered before the insurance adjuster even got over here to take a look at the damage.  ;)

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:58 AM »
I have the OS WMR-968 and it has served me well in the 6+ years that I've owned it. I have had to replace the anemometer and solar x-mitter and also the outdoor temp/himidity sensor. Went I putchased my station 6+ years ago it was over $500 dollars.

As others have noted. The Davis station is your best option. Shop around before you buy. Be sure to visit www.ambientweather.com and request their low price quote on the Davis stations. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 03:10:40 PM »

I have a Davis station :grin: and after reading the 9 posts above mine, I am glade I do. =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Delta5

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
Thank you all for the excellent advice.  I made some further mods to my el cheapo station this weekend.  So far it's looking good, but as the remnants of Gustav dump a few inches of rain on me later in the week, I'll get to test it.

If it fails, I think I'll be joining the VP2 club.

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
If you go for the VP2 (and I have), make sure you read through these threads about the performance / reliability of the serial vs usb data loggers.  There's plenty of discussion on that topic in this forum, so I won't repeat it here.  I'll just say, based on my experience ---  one word, three syllables: SER-I-AL.

anything