Author Topic: Newbe needs advise  (Read 1528 times)

Offline ArkSteve

Newbe needs advise
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
Hello, I just got my 1st station, a radio shack 63-3200 that is suppose to be the same as a WMR-100. I just installed it a couple days ago, set my Alt, and time zone. Wind speed, and direction seem to be working fine, the rainfall hasn't given anything yet, but we've only had freezing rain, sleet, and snow so it hasn't had any liquid rain to measure yet.
The forecast display is what has me concerned. It showed partly cloudy while we were having the heavy sleet/snow mix, and went to sunny when it slowed to light snow flurry's. I know that's more accurate than yahoo's weather, but was expecting better. Does it sound like I still need to set things up, or does it sound like a bad unit?
Thank you.
Steve

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Newbe needs advise
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
Give it some time to adjust to your location.  It might get better.  But I can't imagine a device that gives a forecast as more than a novelty or, at best, an estimation.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »
I agree, even the Davis, which is light years beyond OS, isn't accurate, only a novelty.

On the rain gauge, it measures in .04" increments, if you want to tinker you can add an 8" funnel and increase the increments to .01" which make it a bit more accurate. Searching the past posts will give you the info.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »
Hello,
   I have the OS WMR100N weather station. The station you have is similar to the WMR100 in that the forecast that you are mentioning that is off is a forecast for 24-36 hours in the future, so while it may be snowing out at a given moment while the display shows partly cloudy, the display is actually forecasting for the predicted weather 24-36 hours in the future. (It's all based on pressure, temp, and precipitation trends read by your station as well, so making sure these are all accurate is key to accuracy).
   I also agree that it isn't always accurate though, but just one of those extra features that manufacturers put on their stations as an extra feature.  ;)
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine